UM2 replacement wire
Jul 12, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drssyoon

100+ Head-Fier
I just got back my UM2s from Westone after getting the dreaded green wire replaced. The wires do look similar to Ety 4 wires - black, shiny and similar gauge. They are also bit less flexible than the original silver wires. I was curious to see how they "replaced" the wires. It looks like they opened up the monitors (by splitting it along the seam), replace the entire wire, including the plug and the crossover and re-sealed the monitors. My monitors show the sign of it being opened and re-glued. I hope they are physically as strong as before. After putting on my custom molds, ahh - the bliss. No microphonics at all if you wear it over your ears. It took about a week from send off to receipt.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 8
d33.jpg

958.jpg

d0b.jpg

133.jpg

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by drssyoon
After putting on my custom molds, ahh - the bliss. No microphonics at all if you wear it over your ears. It took about a week from send off to receipt.

Yes, I agree (contrary to my original review of the UM2's) regarding the microhhonics if you wear them over the ear. Almost none.

(a bit of thread creep here.......)
My custom molds should be here in a day or so. I'm wondering if you could share your experience in how the UM's sound with the custom molds vs. any foam or flange tip you may have tried. Thanks.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 8
hi, I just bought um2 for 7 days and I knew it will trun to green after the purchase. The support team told me they can replace the wire for me but eventually, the inner cable is still using the same material. It sounds to me that the cable will turn to green sooner or later but you will never see.

The support team also stated that the green will not affect the sound quality but some of the guys in my local headphone forum saying that it did change.
Any idea ?

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 8
1. Sound quality with custom molds is much, much better than any other tips I tried. Everything sounds better, especially the lows.

2. I don't think "greening" will affect the sound quality unless it actually starts to corrrode the metal strands. It just looks kinda funky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back