UM2 questions
Jul 18, 2006 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
i picked up a pair of UM2 (well, i'll get them in the next day or two) from the buy/trade forum and am looking forward to them. i'm hoping to use them with an imod->supermini IV->UM2 setup...

since the supermini IV has a bunch of customizable tweaks, i was wondering what works, what doesn't, or any other kinds of advice to make the UM2 shine...i actually don't have any of the above yet (ipod sent to vinnie, supermini on order, and UM2 picked up tomorrow), but thought i'd start a thread on it.

specifically, what op-amps, impedance settings, and bass boost options might sound good with the UM2? any thoughts?

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 5
I had an SM3 and an SMv6 and tried many different opamps and I could not get more than a very minimal difference amping the UM2. They really don't need and amp but if you do want to amp them the only one I can recommend is the Hornet. Excellent synergy with the UM2 and other owners of this combo will agree... do a search in the amps forum and see what they say. Supermini is not doubt a great amp but sometimes it's a matter of synergy that really makes the difference.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks for the info. i've owned the hornet and liked it, but didn't find it all that useful with my previous ipod->turbodock->hornet->er6i setup. the er6i do benefit with an amp to help the bass, but i didn't think it was worth $300...

i've heard different opinions about the benefits of amping the UM2...some say they benefit a little, some say a lot. which is it? i guess i'll find out soon, but i'm interested to hear the differing opinions.

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 5
With the SuperMini don't use the impedence switch. I think it does something to the crossover network and you get the details sucked out and a VERY congested sound. I use the solid tube and it seems to add a touch of bass impact and high end sizzle (in good, synergistic, way)
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Though I've only briefly compared my UM2 amped with my Headfive and go-vibe, I didn't hear a noticeable difference to validate using them amped.

I always intended to use my UM2's unamped so it wasnt really an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back