UM2 mini-guide
Jul 19, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I wouldn't explain anything to your wife. Turn on your computer, put the UM2 into the audio output, set up the EQ so it's perfect, stick the Compry tips way into her ears, and let her listen to some music. I don't think you'll have to do too much explaining.

Problem is, you'll probably have to spring for another UM2 somewhere down the line. So maybe that isn't a good idea.

Ah, I wouldn't do that. Computer audio outputs are notorious for sounding like total crap unless you use crappy headphones. UM2 are highly sensitive. You'll hear a lot of noise unless your sound card is high quality, and most sound cards don't have headphone outputs, and those that do are usually a $2 job that won't do justice to your UM2s!!!

With these canalphones, source is *everything*.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by carvemeister
Just thought I'd pipe in and say hello and thanks for the great info on the UM2's.

Thanks to some of your posts I decided to order a pair of UM2's and should have them by Wednesday. I'm a little nervous because I've never even tried canalphones, but I've slept with earplugs in many times and don't find them too bad to wear.

The UM2's (with either the custom molds or suppied tips) are the ONLY canal phone I have been able to sleep with successfully! Once inserted correctly, they fit almost completely within the ear, nothing sticking out.

Remeber, the seal is everthing and give yourself some time to get it right.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you, but keep at it with the UM's!

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Ah, I wouldn't do that. Computer audio outputs are notorious for sounding like total crap unless you use crappy headphones. UM2 are highly sensitive. You'll hear a lot of noise unless your sound card is high quality, and most sound cards don't have headphone outputs, and those that do are usually a $2 job that won't do justice to your UM2s!!!

With these canalphones, source is *everything*.

You really are so, so correct -- a good source makes these IEMs shine. I use a Mac with a very nice sound card, and the UM2s sound even better than with a headphone amp!

But I think your advice is more useful for the majority of users.

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
The Comprys are okay, but the sound and fit aren't what the UM2s deserve.

I definitely agree with you there. The UM2s naturally have lot of bass due to the dual-driver design, and the Comply tips don't do the treble any favors IME. As you found, one can remedy that with EQ which is a good band-aid if you like the Comply tips the best. But since the UM2 can also accept various Shure and maybe even Etymotic tips, I'd experiment with those as I found the Comply tips made the UM2s too veiled sounding, with significantly recessed treble.

You noted in the blog that the Bi/Triflange and Shure flex tips increased the treble and cut down on the bass. So my question for you is this...instead of using bassy (Comply) tips and using treble boost, could you also just use one of the treble-heavy tips and turn on bass boost (or use an EQ to bring out the low end) to achieve a similar balance?

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 26
I just got my UM2s today and have to say they're wonderful. The bass is there but proper bass not like the overblown stuff I had on my Sony's and it's very clear too. I may in future fork out for the custom tips but i can't justify that at the moment but overall
etysmile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by probedb
I just got my UM2s today and have to say they're wonderful. The bass is there but proper bass not like the overblown stuff I had on my Sony's and it's very clear too. I may in future fork out for the custom tips but i can't justify that at the moment but overall
etysmile.gif

When you can save up for the custom molded tips, by all means do so! You think your happy now.........

First of all, you will not be purchasing replacements and there is some savings there.How long to save $100 depends but replacemet tip are not all that cheap!

But most importantly, the UM2 really shine with the custom molded tips!

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
The UM2's (with either the custom molds or suppied tips) are the ONLY canal phone I have been able to sleep with successfully! ..

I alternate falling asleep with the UM2 and the Shure E5. I guess they are about the same shape and size.

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

You noted in the blog that the Bi/Triflange and Shure flex tips increased the treble and cut down on the bass. So my question for you is this...instead of using bassy (Comply) tips and using treble boost, could you also just use one of the treble-heavy tips and turn on bass boost (or use an EQ to bring out the low end) to achieve a similar balance?

I did a test on that before publishing the blog, since it seemed the logical thing to do. Here's how it worked for me:

With treble-heavy tips (Shure or Ety biflange), the balance necessarily excludes bass. Bass-boost gives an indiscriminately deepened bass to everything, and the music sounds a little artificial to me.

With bass-heavy tips (Compry), you keep more of the original sound. I confirmed this with my Xenos 3HA headphone amp, which has controls for treble and bass. If you shear away a lot of the treble to start off with, no EQ on your player will bring it back. But if there's some bass to work with, you can scupt the sound any way you want.

EQ, then, must be used subtractively. Start off with the full sound of a recording, then shape the remaining sound to what pleases you.

confused.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
When you can save up for the custom molded tips, by all means do so! You think your happy now.........

Cheers! I'll put a bit aside for a few months and then I'll have another treat when I get the custom tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

that eq curve you posted is nuts... theres something seriously wrong with either your ears or the headphones if thats nessescary

The UM2 doesn't need this equalization at all, so rest your mind on that account! They sound amazing just the way they are. The EQ was offered as my very personal "fix" for the iPod's weak presets, and was presented in that context.

I do appreciate your reading the blog, and also your candid feedback.

etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back