UM2 is even better with the triflanges !
Jun 10, 2005 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tayano

100+ Head-Fier
I recived shure's triflanges(biflanges, as Jmmmm says since I cut of the first flange) a coulpe of days ago,and I've been testing them with my um2 w/iriver H10. All I can say that the sound is more balanced,better and clearer highs,tighter bass and the vocals are more realistisc. With the comply tips
um2 sounded tooo dark without EQ,but they sound pretty good without EQ using triflanges,thougt the treble is recede. Now when using EQ they sounds so good and balanced,this experience is like when I heard UM2 the first time,they sounded so good and clear but after time I found them to bassy. Now I don't find them bassy at all.

I wrote in one other thread that that the right phone sounded less then the left one,but I got ridden of that problem with triflanges,I guess that the fit of the triflanges makes them equal. When I used comply tips I pushed them deeply in my ear and I think that the soft robber-tips could resist the pressure so it blocked the whole,and that's why the left phone was absent. But the triflanges is made of silicon,asknown,and they can resist te pressure so they won't block the whole.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
I recived shure's triflanges(biflanges, as Jmmmm says since I cut of the first flange) a coulpe of days ago,and I've been testing them with my um2 w/iriver H10. All I can say that the sound is more balanced,better and clearer highs,tighter bass and the vocals are more realistisc. With the comply tips
um2 sounded tooo dark without EQ,but they sound pretty good without EQ using triflanges,thougt the treble is recede. Now when using EQ they sounds so good and balanced,this experience is like when I heard UM2 the first time,they sounded so good and clear but after time I found them to bassy. Now I don't find them bassy at all.

I wrote in one other thread that that the right phone sounded less then the left one,but I got ridden of that problem with triflanges,I guess that the fit of the triflanges makes them equal. When I used comply tips I pushed them deeply in my ear and I think that the soft robber-tips could resist the pressure so it blocked the whole,and that's why the left phone was absent. But the triflanges is made of silicon,asknown,and they can resist te pressure so they won't block the whole.
biggrin.gif

Your experience exactly mirrors mine.
Enjoy!
:um2smiley:

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 22
Right on. The bi-flanged UM2 is a really great sounding canalphone. An amp really helps bringing out the detail - it does sound a bit washed out straight out of a headphone jack. Also, try using an Ety P/S converter with it, or any 75 Ohm resistor. It shifts the midbass emphasis to an upper-midrange emphasis, bringing the vocals and guitars forward while cleaning up the bass and improving overall resolution. Quite a nice sound, if slightly cold.

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 22
As good as the UM2 sounds with the flanged silicone or foam tips, it is nowhere close to the sound when fitted with the custom-molded Westone UM56 inserts! My fit and seal is perfect, the sound an order of magnitude better than generic tips.

http://tinyurl.com/2upaa

Well worth the money! I found it remarkable that having the custom fit made that much difference in the fit and sound.

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 22
On second thought, we should probably leave the P/S converter with the Ety's. Yes, the upper midrange is more forward and the bass is tighter, but forward upper mids + recessed treble is not a good combination. It throws in an uneven curve-ball into an otherwise smooth and even sound signature. Not worth it.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Yeah my experiences with the triflanges for my E5c's were the same. I found that the triflanges were the best sound and comfort compromise.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 22
I agree completely. I thought the foam tips were good until i actually got myself the tri-flanges. Without modification, they were very uncomfortable to use, and the phones stuck out too much. i chopped the smallest tip off, shortened the stalk, and tried it again. from the onset, the sound was MUCH better, much better bass slam, and just that little bit more on the treble. Sounded much more fun and yet intimate at the same time. Plus the isolation puts even the complies to shame.

Even modified, i had lots of trouble getting used to using the tips the first week or so. they were difficult to insert, and painful after a short period, but i stuck with it, and now they are very easy to use, and comfortable to boot. The sound is still as good as it was at the beginning, or maybe even better, since i dont have to ignore the pain in my ears anymore lol

Jun 17, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
Yeah,I'm planning to buy a amp for them so they can show their best side,but I really don't know wich amp I should buy, PAV2 or the z-audio epsilon.

Well, of course I'm biased, but I know the UM2's work wonderfully with my epsilon. Havn't heard the PAV2 for comparison however.

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 22
My double flanges seem to only fit my left ears....The right is a totaly hopeless case.....Although the stem and third flange have all been shaved off, they don't provide any seal with my right ear....Strange??
confused.gif
So I guess ear canals are of different diametres for the left and right ears? I had to use the clear (large) tip for my right ear or the foam ones to obtain the best seal but the sound tends to be kinda unblanced for the left and the right....Left sounds as what ppl have described tri-flanges to be while right sounds really different....

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 22
Custom molds are the way to go. Honestly, a huge difference in the sound and comfort compared to the foamies. I recall trying tri-flanges with my E5s and recalling having to want to scratch the inside of my ears from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back