UM2 and Impedance
Dec 4, 2006 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

solo2

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been hearing alot about impedance but is there a bearing on the quality of music you listen to if your earphones have higher/lower impedance than your source?

In addition, why is the impedance level for the UM2 and even UM1 greater than Superfis? I'm asking because I'm thinking of upgrading to a UM2 in future and am afraid that it may not drive the T10 as efficiently as the superfi 3s. Finally, would it make a significant improvement in SQ if I switch to UM2? I listen to mainly instrumental, pop, rock and audiobooks. Comfort and SQ are top priorities to me
600smile.gif

Thanks
600smile.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't think the little impedance increase will make any difference. UM2 and UM1 are definitely efficient to drive, in fact, they are the most effecient IEMs I have yet to see. On my iPod with original firmware, I can only bare the loudness with minimum volume level, anything higher would make me go deaf.

I would say that it is definitely an upgrade from your SF3. UM2 has one of the most decent midrange and bass in all IEMs I've owned/auditioned to-date. They are also the most comfortable universal-IEMs, you probably won't find one comfier.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 11
UM2s are ridiculously sensitive. Hiss with the volume all the way down is often a problem, but driving them is not. I don't go over the "12" out of "40" volume setting on my MP3 player, and I go all the way to "40" with KSC 35's.

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the feedback. Well, now the only thing that's stopping me is the price hahaha I could have gotten a player or something and I've only changed my in-ears a month ago since my nude ex71 went silent. Haven't audited the UM2 yet, will do so today. If the glowing reviews are true, I may get it as a Christmas gift to myself hahaha

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 11
hi. just been listening through um1's, thenswitched to senny 590's, and the trebly attack of the um1's and the softness of underpowered 590's was revieled. then i put my headamp in the chain (listening on laptop to wav files) and the um1 was better but essentially trebly webly still. but the 590's, my god they sang! unbelievable how they woke up and hit me hard, i cant stop moving to jill scott. woh

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 11
Okay I've gone to a local retailer to audition the UM2s and I'm back to give my first impressions
wink.gif
The UM2 are indeed more comfortable than the Superfi 3s. They sit snugly inside the ear with no or very little protrusion. I've also noticed that they felt much lighter than the Superfi 3s. Only thing is, I'm not too sure if the cords are adjustable like the Superfi 3s where a slider is included around the Y chord. As for sound, I thought the UM2 sounded mellower and more bassy. Somehow I expected the UM2 to be louder than the Superfi 3s at the same volume but I was proven wrong. The UM2 sounded just as loud or at times slightly softer.

Well, I spent 10 minutes or so on it so is there anything I should know about the UM2 that would convince me to upgrade from my Superfi 3s?

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by solo2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing is, I'm not too sure if the cords are adjustable like the Superfi 3s where a slider is included around the Y chord.

Yes, they are. There is a slider on the UM2s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the UM2 worth the dough? Bumpz

Definitely. Even thought my K701s sound a lot better, I still enjoy using these whenever I'm on the go. They sound very nice and warm and still have a lot of detail.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Okay I've splurged and gotten myself the UM2s. For the higher price I paid for the UM2s, I thought the accessories and contents of the package could really do with some improvement
rolleyes.gif

CIMG0654.jpg

Notice how the user manual is erm..... really bare and printed in black and white. I wasn't too impressed with the hard casing either
rolleyes.gif
The accessories are well, hardly befitting of the UM2s.

CIMG0656.jpg

Compared to the Superfi 3s, I thought that in terms of presentation and accessories, UE beats Westone by a mile....... I especially like UE's metallic aluminium brushed case and the user manual looks kinda sweet too *hehehe both literally and figuratively*. The tag line reads: Music is not an indulgence but a necessity. How true
etysmile.gif

So far, the only quibble I have with the UM2 is the adjustment slider. It's far too short but I can now sleep on my side
tongue.gif
comfortably. Haven't brought it out to the streets. Will do so as soon as I have the chance
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 11
That's because you're meant to wear the cable hanging from the back

Anyway, i like the westone/shure type case better
It's easier to carry around and not an item that people look at and think 'there's something expensive in there'

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because you're meant to wear the cable hanging from the back

Anyway, i like the westone/shure type case better
It's easier to carry around and not an item that people look at and think 'there's something expensive in there'

Yeah I know but I don't like the hassle of wearing something down my back
tongue.gif
Oh and about inviting petty thefts, let just say that I feel pretty safe from where I come from
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back