UM1s vs EW9, input please
Feb 15, 2007 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ah_long

100+ Head-Fier
i'm looking to make a purchase for the EW9s.. I currently have the UM1s.. Owned the E4s, HD201..

any inputs on how the EW9s sound?

i did a research, mids and highs were excellent, but different reviews claim that either the EW9s have a good and tight bass or it simply lacks low end..

i'm looking for something more refined compared to my UM1s...

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Here is my short take on the ATH-EW9s. Most either love or hate the AT house sound. I love it, so take my short take for what it is worth in light of my preferences.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...57&postcount=1

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking to make a purchase for the EW9s.. I currently have the UM1s.. Owned the E4s, HD201..

any inputs on how the EW9s sound?

i did a research, mids and highs were excellent, but different reviews claim that either the EW9s have a good and tight bass or it simply lacks low end..

i'm looking for something more refined compared to my UM1s...

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 7
EW9s lack bass when the placing is not right, otherwise they are not bad, not the best bass you can get of course (but consider that I have HD650s and E500s as well and those are the ones I can compare EW9s with). The thing is, it is very difficult to keep them in place and as close as possible to your outer ear, where you can get some good bass. Whenever you make a move, the optimum placing is lost. The sound coming from EW9s is very good, but I could not use them in a portable setup. They do not isolate at all, actually this was the reason that I bought E500s. Comfortwise, they are great, you forget that you have them on after some time, but the lack of isolation and the difficulty of keeping the correct positioning in a portable setup made me buy E500s and I have never regretted it.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 7
Go back to the loving arm(atures) of your e4c
wink.gif

I'm trying to figure out why you went from e4c to UM1.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I actually own both, and I like the sound of both earphones. Owning the EW9 sorta of makes me realize how much treble rolloff the UM1's have.

The bass is all about quality over quantity. It's definitely there, and pretty detailed (as is the rest of the spectrum). For me, with burn in, the highs have become less harsh, and the bass has opened up a bit.

If you're looking for a more refined UM1, I think that the EW9's are a good (non-isolating) choice.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Is there something you didn't like about the E4? Because the EW9 costs about the same as a new E4, I personally would just go back to the E4 if I had the money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back