um1's too loud
Jul 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What made you think I said increasing impedence didn't affect the response? The quotes from KA specifically said that they do affect the response as well as how. Personally, I prefer the following frequency response graph: Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4 - Which ER•4 is Right for You

As Etymotic's graph shows, impedence is useful in cutting the volume to a more balanced setting. The ER4S does sound better than the ER4P, even if the latter is easier to drive off an iPod.

Sorry - your post snuck-in while I was writing mine - I was replying to Punnisher:
"An impedance adapter would work for you. Be warned though, it will modify the frequency response of a multiple driver iem. Since your um1 is single it should merely decreace volume and hiss."

I should have quoted his post - my bad.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 23
What about the volume limiter on the iPod? If you set the volume limiter lower, it will provide more precise control of the volume, provided you have no use for the extremely high volumes. That means you'd be able to set a lower volume.

It might be worth a try before you go and get an impedance adapter (which some people don't like).

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry - your post snuck-in while I was writing mine - I was replying to Punnisher:
"An impedance adapter would work for you. Be warned though, it will modify the frequency response of a multiple driver iem. Since your um1 is single it should merely decreace volume and hiss."

I should have quoted his post - my bad.

The fault was mine. I see where you're coming from now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumigator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the volume limiter on the iPod? If you set the volume limiter lower, it will provide more precise control of the volume, provided you have no use for the extremely high volumes. That means you'd be able to set a lower volume.
It might be worth a try before you go and get an impedance adapter (which some people don't like).

That's a clever idea. Some will tell you that any use of the iPod's soundcard is a bad idea, but those people wouldn't have a problem with the volume, since they'd opt for LOD + amp, in which case, they could set their own volume level. But if there's a volume problem, it's obvious we're working off the soundcard and earphone jack, in which case the cheapest (and most direct) way to limit the volume is to simply use the volume limiter. You rock!

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 23
I have already tried the volume limit setting on the ipod, unfortunately it limits the upper end not the minimum volume. I am hoping adding a p>s cable to my headphones will help with the OP, and my, problem. I can't get the volume of my iems low enough to allow me to fall asleep with them on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fault was mine. I see where you're coming from now.

That's a clever idea. Some will tell you that any use of the iPod's soundcard is a bad idea, but those people wouldn't have a problem with the volume, since they'd opt for LOD + amp, in which case, they could set their own volume level. But if there's a volume problem, it's obvious we're working off the soundcard and earphone jack, in which case the cheapest (and most direct) way to limit the volume is to simply use the volume limiter. You rock!

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have already tried the volume limit setting on the ipod, unfortunately it limits the upper end not the minimum volume. I am hoping adding a p>s cable to my headphones will help with the OP, and my, problem. I can't get the volume of my iems low enough to allow me to fall asleep with them on.

I don't own an iPod, so I may have been wrong about the volume limiter. I made that suggestion assuming that when the volume is set to 0%, you hear nothing. If I'm wrong (that is, even at 0% volume, your phones are too loud), then the volume limiter will do nothing for you, and an impedance adapter will be your cheapest option.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 23
Jul 4, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 23
My UM2 with Ipod classic at the lowest lv is very very quiet, so does that mean something wrong with my ear - or my rig
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #23 of 23
It could be a matter of perception. When I first got my IEMs, I had the volume set to the same level I would use for my easy-to-run 32 ohm Grados. It took a little bit of listening to realize that I didn't need the volume to be up so high. In fact, I've really dropped the volume and discovered that I'm hearing just fine. That 20+ dB of sound isolation really makes a difference. That's why I tend to listen to the first song loudest and then gradually taper it down. Once my ears adjust to their new surroundings, I don't need so much volume to really enjoy the music. But it's a bit of advice that sounds laughable until you try it. It's sort of like that diet proposed by that BYU professor who said it mattered less what you ate than how much, and who then said to eat until you're satisfied. Quite often, while I go out of my way to order to econo-sized value meal, I end up discovering I've had enough some 2-3 bites in.

Sound works that way, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back