UM1 vs UM2 vs Zune (somethings gotta work!)
Jan 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DonRicker

New Head-Fier
i recieved my UM1s and love the design and quality. the fit is fantastic and all day comfortable...but i am actually UPSET by the sound for the most part coming from my 4gb gen 2 zune. Its flat to the point of distraction on most songs. Gord Downeys voice on the tragically hip songs didn't even sound like him and the drums all seem like their filled with towels to muffle the sound. However Madonnas stuff sounds very tight and signifigantly better (i always find that style of music way over tweaked though). My music preferences are primarily towards dave matthews/the hip/ben folds etc (and lots of these are live recordings so again the quality may be a bit lower than finely tuned stuff out of the studio. But for doing intense workouts on the bike i prefer high bpm techno style.

Testing it on my computer the quality improves and the bass feels like its there (if not impressive) at least. Highs still fall off but the mids and the voices sound more like they should.

Sound was also 'ok' using different eq settings on a friends ipod touch but still felt like it could be improved (bass primarily)

i bought from earphonesolutions.com so the return is still available but i'm at a cross roads.

1) keep everything and be mostly unhappy (maybe i need better music sources/quality of mp3's)

2) keep zune and upgrade to westone um2's (really like the fit and feel of the um1's, good for cycling with good for sleeping with). however this is a 200$ upgrade and that's a big mental step..the quality out of my zune will seriously have to be improved.
the iems need to be totally in ear for me (hats/helmets/sleeping)

3) keep the UM1's, sell the zune, go spend 150$ - 200 on a different player that allows me some EQ control..but then would i be wondering how good all that might sound if i had the UM2's instead.

Overall i'd say i want to experience a neutral towards bass enhanced experience.

this is my first post on here so sorry if i've done anything in error. Thanks for any feedback.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 2
UM1's do not sound all that good. Their key selling point is comfort and fit. UM2 are much better. Bigger fuller sound...a lot more bass, a little more clarity/detail. Same great comfort as UM1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back