UM1 vs PK2 vs ER-6i vs d-JAYS
Mar 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

im2bz2p345

Banned
I need a comparison from all you IEM guru's out there. I have not seen many reviews comparing these specific earbuds against each other, so I hope you can provide what you think about each one (in relation to the others).

Contender #1) Westone UM1

Contender #2) Yuin PK2

Contender #3) Etymotic ER-6i

Contender #4) Jays d-JAYS

From what I have read, these are all "top of the line" IEMs within a price range of $100 (or less). If anyone has knowledge/experience using these, please share your thoughts! Who would win in a battle for comfort, isolation, microphonics, sound quality, durability, price-value ratio, and overall satisfaction?

Let the battle begin.... no amps allowed!
tongue.gif

P.S. - I am waiting for my UM1's to come in to use with my Ipod Nano. It will be my first major upgrade from the stock Ipod earbud, so I hope for a big change!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 18
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet!

I have only heard the UM1's and the PK2's so that is all I can comment on.

Sound quality wise, the PK2 will stomp al over the UM1. I had the UM1 for about 2 months and I just found it very boring. There was not much bass, they were not very revealing, and the soundstaging was all in my head. Maybe I am just not an IEM guy. But these di provide excellent isolation and they were very comfortable using the foamys. Using the bi-flanges (just cut off the last flange on a triple flange) was not as comfortable, but it isolated better and it wounded better.

But the PK2 I still love. For what they are, they sound incredible. It really sounds like you are using full size headphones, you get a lot more out oof the head feeling. The only problem that I do have with these phones is that they are kinda bass shy, it took me a while to get used to them, but if you are already used to using earbuds than that should not be a problem. Also the PK2 does not isolate at all since they are just regular earbuds. But I think they wow me the most because they are just earbuds, and every other earbud I have heard has been crap, but these are just magical.

Since you are coming from stock earbuds, anything you have listed will be a step up, and you will be amazed by how they sound. And if you end up not liking it, you can always sell it here on the Classified forums and get back like 75% of what you paid new and find something else you want to hear. So good luck with whatever you choose.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 18
Personally, if I could only have one headphone, it would be an isolating headphone because of my daily mass transit commute. For me that eliminates the PK2. I have the UM1 and like them a lot. hekoman's comments say 2 things. First, he isn't an IEM person because soundstaging is all in your head, at least for those I've head. Second, he wasn't getting a good seal with the stock comply tips because if you get a good seal, they have plenty of bass. Not overwhelming, but it's there, especially compared to Etys. I also have im716 which use Ety 4 drivers. While they don't have the bass of the UM1, they are very detailed.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 18
ER-6i are very good, but i don't know how good they are in comparison, because i don't have any of the others.
But i can say this: ER-6i will be a huge upgrade. Detailed and perfectly balanced for whatever music you listen to. There is bass, but not as much as your stock buds, but then again stock buds are very muddy compared to er-6is.

One thing about the er-6i that i regret is the thin cord and cord design. It's thin and easily tangles. $150 MSRP earphones shouldn't have this kind of cord.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 18
If noise isolation isn't an issue, I give the nod to the PK2s. I've owned both, and sold the UM1 in about a week. Sold the PK2 also, but that was to buy the PK1.

I also found the UM1s to be way too muddy, rolled off highs. Just too "warm" for my tastes. Also, the PK2s are $20 cheaper. You might also wait and check out the OK2s or OK3s, the new combo ear buds/canal phones coming out from Yuin (at Head-Diect.com).

With the OK2 and OK3, I believe you have the option of using them as buds or canalphones, and the latter will give you some isolation. Plus, Fang at Head-Direct and others say the new Yuin line is even better than the PK lineup. Remains to be seen, but something to consider.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 18
hekoman, scompton, KUNFUCHOPSTICKS, and tstarn06.. THANK YOU for your honest and sincere replies!!

Unfortunately, I am in the same situation as scompton since I have to ride a public transportation rail for my daily commute. Isolation is key component for me, so this is why I seemed to think the UM1 would be the best choice. Also, comfort and size wise they are supposed to eat up the competition.

I believe the PK2 would be the second best option just because of their awesome sound. I am guessing they are inferior to the UM1's when it comes to comfort and microphonics.

From a durability standpoint, I think the UM1 would also rule the rest. This is important because I want to have them last many years!
biggrin.gif

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the responses to my thread. Please continue to give your opinions on this battle.

By the way.. I was thinking about adding another competitor to the ring: Altec Lansing iM716. Should I do it?
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by im2bz2p345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way.. I was thinking about adding another competitor to the ring: Altec Lansing iM716. Should I do it?
wink.gif

They isolate better, but are less comfortable, both because they go further in your ear. I like the sound better with the im716, they have less bass then the UM1 and are a little more detailed. The UM1 signature appeals to more people.

I use the Shure black olive tips for both. Because the UM1 sits in the outer part of your ear, I need the large tips. I use medium tips on the im716 and they take a little effort to get on. I could use the small tips in my left ear, but I can't get the tip on the im716 nozzle. After about 2 hour, less if my hay fever is acting up, the im716 starts to get uncomfortable. I can't wear them all day. I can wear the UM1 all day, and have.

The UM1 has very low microphonics. Sometimes when it's rubbing against my coat zipper when the cord is inside my coat. The same goes for the im716 if you put them in upside down and put the cord over you ears.

As for durability, I've never done anything to the im716 that stresses it. As for the UM1, I wear them under isolating ear muffs when I'm working around power tools or anything noise. Last fall, I was using a leaf blower/vac and the cover came off the vacuum part and the UM1s cord got sucked into the motor.
eek.gif
Fortunately, it did no damage. I was stupid enough to do this even though I've advocated on many threads that you need to put the cord under your shirt when using power tools. I need to follow my own advise
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 18
I just sold the 716s and still own the 616s, which are an excellent option (and 49.99 on Amazon from a third party seller, where I got mine). The 616s are the little brother of the 716s, are black (not white, like the 716s) and do not have that pod.

Believe me, I have heard both of the ALs and the 616s are not junk. Scompton is right, more pressure but really great isolation with either the flanges or foamies.

Also, the 716s are fairly inefficient can require an amp, depending on the DAP. The 616s do not.

Anyway, as value-to-SQ goes, either the 716s or 616s are an excellent phone for commuting. And durable, I think.

As for the PKs, don't disregard my note on the Yuin OK series. They will have both the ear bud and canal phone option, so you can get some isolation.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 18
UM-1s would be good for a commute because they are so comfortable and have the lowest "profile" of any IEM's I've seen. Also, the cord has no microphonics and seems really durable for such a thin wire.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 18
sorry to "bump" into you thread, but i was recently interested in Westone UM1s and i need to ask some questions about them..

1. i have never worn an earphone with UM1s over the ear design, will it be comfortable?

2. are they low profile?

3. are they Y corded? will the over the ear design interrupt with having my iPod Shuffle clipped to my front right pocket?

4. will they sound good with 3rd gen iPod Shuffle?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 18
1. UM1s are the most comfortable IEM I have tried to date. The over the ear design is comfortable and reduces microphonics even further.

2. The UM1s are absolutely tiny, and sit flush with your head. In a normal sized ear they won't stick out at all.

3. They are Y-corded with the famous low microphonics Westone cable.

4. I guess so without knowing. Pretty much every MP3-player can drive these IEMs reasonably well.

Cheers,
Frederik

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 18
YAY! I'm so glad my thread helped others! woopididi, no problem bro, you can "bump" my thread anytime! hehe.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting that very useful information about the UM1's FrederikS!

Does anyone have experience with both the UM1 and the JVC Marshmallow (HA-FX33) IEMs?

I just got the Marshmallow's for use in the gym and for casual wear, and to me, they sound pretty darn good! But considering I'm coming from the stock Apple ipod nano earbuds, I bet that doesn't say much. lol.

On the Marshmallow's, the isolation is impressive, they are fairly comfortable, the sound is decent (mids are great, highs & lows seem a bit lacking in details.. but overall not bad!), the bass is a bit heavy for my taste, I do experience a bit of microphonics (you can hear it if you move the cable around, if you breath heavily when there isn't music playing, and when you touch your ear lobes)...but they appear to have a fairly solid built. Also, I was surprised that I don't have to turn these up over half way for most songs playing off my 2nd generation ipod nano, whereas the stock ipod headphones wouldn't get nearly as loud at that volume. They are also fairly small.. I don't know how they compare in size to the UM1s though.

I'm still waiting on my UM1's to come in the mail, so if anyone could possibly compare these two great iems (by comparing some of the things I mentioned in the above paragraph), I would be very interested to read their thoughts!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you all for your extremely helpful posts!

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 18
How are the UM1's while wearing glasses, any issues with comfort or microphonics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back