UM1, SCL3, se210, or anything else?
Feb 17, 2009 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Hello. I am having troubles deciding on which earphones to get for my self. I'm thinking about the 100-180$ range but am having troubles on which earphones to get. The chocies are Westone UM1, Shure SCL3, Shure Se210, or any other recommended products. If you own or have tried these earphones please do feel free to say what you know about them.

Thanks, Leo

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 27
Those are the old school choices. These days the Phonak Audeo, Klipsch and several others seem to be the rage. I would check the review and comparison threads in this forum.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your source (mp3 player) and what genre's do you like? What kind of sound?

my sound source is a cowon D2 and a samsung YP-T9. usually the D2 the most. i listen to rap, hip-hop, rock, and thats about all.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the old school choices. These days the Phonak Audeo, Klipsch and several others seem to be the rage. I would check the review and comparison threads in this forum.

i have thought about those too.. thats the problem, so many choices..

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 27
I think if you listen to those genre's and with that player, you're going to want a warmer IEM than the SE210's and SCL3. Those are more vocal oriented IEMS. I'm assuming by those genres the most important element is the bass. You should probably look into the Atrio M5 and Klipsch X10, although I doubt you can find the X10 for under $200. The Atrio can be had around 130-140 on ebay if you haggle a little I think. Phonak Audeo's are supposed to be the best of the bunch in the price range but not particularly heavy on bass. It may be able to be remedied by the black filters but I don't have my pair yet so I can't say for sure.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

I think if you listen to those genre's and with that player, you're going to want a warmer IEM than the SE210's and SCL3. Those are more vocal oriented IEMS. I'm assuming by those genres the most important element is the bass. You should probably look into the Atrio M5 and Klipsch X10, although I doubt you can find the X10 for under $200. The Atrio can be had around 130-140 on ebay if you haggle a little I think. Phonak Audeo's are supposed to be the best of the bunch in the price range but not particularly heavy on bass. It may be able to be remedied by the black filters but I don't have my pair yet so I can't say for sure.

i was thinking of the Phonak Audeo's because they look awesome and heard many good reviews, but i have been considering the westone UM1 the most because i think i may need the comfort they give.. The Bass on the UM1 isnt bad at all, but its not the strongest. if i wanted bass the Ultimate ears super fi 5 EB would be the choice but my ears are on the small side so no..

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 27
I believe I read the Atrio M5's were very comfortable (at least in some reviews) and they are known for having great bass. Someone who's used them will have to comment on their size and comfort though.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

I believe I read the Atrio M5's were very comfortable (at least in some reviews) and they are known for having great bass. Someone who's used them will have to comment on their size and comfort though.

How are they on mids and highs? i dont want ALL bass
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 27
From a review at anythingbutipod.com

"The midrange is very slightly recessed, but still very clear and detailed. The mids are great for voices, male and female alike; they sound very human, not as artificial as with balanced armature drivers. The midrange reminds me more of full-sized Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic headphones than of the usual IEMs, which is a very good thing. All the details are there. Nothing seems to be missing from the main parts of the music. Everything is very dynamic and punchy, both in the micro and macro structures of the audio material.

The treble is slightly rolled off, but doesn't lack any details or clarity either. The Atrios do appear to be "dark" sounding phones compared to some balanced armature IEMs, like the Shures or Etymotics, but that makes them easier to listen to for my ears. I can wear them for hours without getting any listening fatigue, contrary to ultra-bright balanced armature IEMs. They have no sibilance at all; they're really smooth. The Shures and Etymotics do have a bit more precision and clarity in the treble regions, but for me the Atrios sound more natural, relaxed, and enjoyable.

Soundstage is quite good, considering the Atrios are in-ear phones with the drivers sitting very close to the ear drums. It's not a three-dimensional experience as on some large, open headphones, but it leaves most of the in-ear competition far behind. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi, Etymotics, or most others don't have any soundstage at all: all of the sound is inside your head. The Atrios can go quite a bit more to the left and right, front and back of your head. The only other IEM I know with a similar soundstage is the V-Moda Vibe, but this one uses an open design, which is a much easier approach to create a realistic soundstage. "

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

From a review at anythingbutipod.com

"The midrange is very slightly recessed, but still very clear and detailed. The mids are great for voices, male and female alike; they sound very human, not as artificial as with balanced armature drivers. The midrange reminds me more of full-sized Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic headphones than of the usual IEMs, which is a very good thing. All the details are there. Nothing seems to be missing from the main parts of the music. Everything is very dynamic and punchy, both in the micro and macro structures of the audio material.

The treble is slightly rolled off, but doesn't lack any details or clarity either. The Atrios do appear to be "dark" sounding phones compared to some balanced armature IEMs, like the Shures or Etymotics, but that makes them easier to listen to for my ears. I can wear them for hours without getting any listening fatigue, contrary to ultra-bright balanced armature IEMs. They have no sibilance at all; they're really smooth. The Shures and Etymotics do have a bit more precision and clarity in the treble regions, but for me the Atrios sound more natural, relaxed, and enjoyable.

Soundstage is quite good, considering the Atrios are in-ear phones with the drivers sitting very close to the ear drums. It's not a three-dimensional experience as on some large, open headphones, but it leaves most of the in-ear competition far behind. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi, Etymotics, or most others don't have any soundstage at all: all of the sound is inside your head. The Atrios can go quite a bit more to the left and right, front and back of your head. The only other IEM I know with a similar soundstage is the V-Moda Vibe, but this one uses an open design, which is a much easier approach to create a realistic soundstage. "

ahh.. i heard a review something like that.. the treble though... yes they do seem like great earphones but i may need that extra treble the Atrios lack. ahh what the hell nothing is perfect. i still have eyes on the UM1 because after trying my friends, i like fell in love with them. so comfortable its not even funny. some people may find them quite un-comfortable, but since i have tried them my self they are great. keep them comming people!

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 27
Futuresonics Atrio M Series is out of his price range, but it is one of the best out of them along with the PFE. I would say, Westone Um1 for you. Since you prefer lows/bass over mids and highs, the PFe is more of a analytical earphone, they are superb earphones, however to get the lows from the Audeo PFE, an amp is needed. Which you don't have, neither are you getting one soon. LOL. Anyways, since you're an active biker, i would say the Um1's, the cables are the best on them for an active user like you. Klipsch is fantastic too, however the cable's cloth cover tends to fraid, also consider you'll use them biking on a hot summer day, Westone Um1 is the end.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by planx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh.. i heard a review something like that.. the treble though... yes they do seem like great earphones but i may need that extra treble the Atrios lack. ahh what the hell nothing is perfect. i still have eyes on the UM1 because after trying my friends, i like fell in love with them. so comfortable its not even funny. some people may find them quite un-comfortable, but since i have tried them my self they are great. keep them comming people!

Whos this friend planx? hehe
wink_face.gif
The treble on the Atrio will be more forward after a couple hundred hours of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back