UM1 or Er6i
Feb 27, 2006 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Screamager

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this is repetitive, but Ive read thru hundreds of posts researching and I am going insane. The UM1 dont seem to be mentioned very much in many of the posts talking of the shures and Etys.

Anyway, Ive come to the conclusion that Im better off with the Westone UM1 rather than the Shure E2C, so the Shures are out. Now Im left with the doubts about the UM1 or the Etymotic Er6i, couldnt come to a conclusion from my research on this site. If this is too repetetive and you can just point me to a thread Ive maybe missed that would be fine as well. Also, it seems the Ultimate ears 3 series are below quality of the previously mentioned. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Also Im asuming the sound quality with any of these in comparison to the Panasonic HJE50 I got talked into getting last year would be worlds apart. Right? the panasonics sound like crap, but some people seemed to find them ok here.

The thing is I was offered a birthday present from my parents and was thinking of some IEMs to keep me from pumping up the volume on my Px100s
in the metro, but feel bad about asking for something too far over $100.

Thanks in advance for your help

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 26
I just ordered the UM1 based on the opinions posted here and on the advice of Earphone Solutions. That, plus the fact that the Westones are supposed to be more confortable than all the others.
I'll post my opinion of them when I get a chance to try them out.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 26
Among my canal phones/IEMs are a pair of Panasonic HJE50's and a pair of Etymotics, and I can say that the Westones would be a significant upgrade over the HJE50's, as would be the Etymotics ... partly because of the isolation and sound quality you'll be able to achieve with the isolating Westones or Etymotics, and partly because we agree on the Panasonics. I got them out of curiosity after havings Sony's, Etymotics and Shures. To me, the Panasonics' best features are their price, and the fact that they're canal phones that don't fall out.

So you'll be doing well, whether you end up with Westones or Etymotics.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 26
well, have now heard talk about the Altec Lansing im716 utilizing etymotic drivers, but they seem to be a bit more expensive ($199) and WHITE, sorry to all you Ipoders, but I dont like to be seen as one more in the mass, the earphones must definitely be available in colors other than white.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 26
Thats comforting to know.

What are your impressions of the Westones vs the Etymotics (if youve ever listened to the westones)? I know this is all in personal taste but since I cant audition them I would value other peoples impressions.

Price is definetly what the panasonics have going for them, at least I didnt spend a fortune on those.

**Excuse my spelling, havent lived in the US for about 10 years and dont get much practice in english.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 26
"What are your impressions of the Westones vs the Etymotics (if youve ever listened to the westones)"

I've never even seen Westones. I work in a boring office, and I'm older than most Head-Fi members, so I don't see much audio equipment except for when two executives who sit near me got iPods in 2004 (I think they have about 68 songs on them, all iTunes downloads of the Eagles and other "classic rock" artists
rolleyes.gif
) ... they were uncomprehending when I sent them information on upgrading their earphones.

Anyway, read what you can on these forums about Westones -- they might be good for you. Also, I now appreciate my Etymotics more than when I first got them. So between Westones and Etymotics, at your price range, you would do OK, either way.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamager
well, have now heard talk about the Altec Lansing im716 utilizing etymotic drivers, but they seem to be a bit more expensive ($199) and WHITE, sorry to all you Ipoders, but I dont like to be seen as one more in the mass, the earphones must definitely be available in colors other than white.

iM716s are going for $109 at Amazon (although someone else posted $104). Yeah, I wasn't happy about the white either. I got over it though when I heard the phones.

Hell, paint 'em pink.

Good luck!

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 26
You´ve just made my decission a bit harder with that price rating for the altecs, was almost decided on the westones. However the white just makes me doubt, if it was just the earphones it would be fine, but the white cable is not esthetically pleasing to me, I actually prefer the ugly braided cable from the westones, at least its black. Seems superficial, but thats the way I feel.
Altecs only come in white from what Ive seen, if I´m wrong please correct me.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 26
Hi! You have to be happy with your phones...so don't get white ones.

Edit: The UM1s seem to be fine, I think they look cool and seem to be more comfortable as the etys which I found to be not very comfortable and a little flimsy...anyway my cents (I didnt listen to the UM1s, though)

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

You´ve just made my decission a bit harder with that price rating for the altecs, was almost decided on the westones. However the white just makes me doubt, if it was just the earphones it would be fine, but the white cable is not esthetically pleasing to me, I actually prefer the ugly braided cable from the westones, at least its black. Seems superficial, but thats the way I feel.
Altecs only come in white from what Ive seen, if I´m wrong please correct me.

I don't know whether the cords on the iM716 are detachable or not. The iM616 cords are black. If the cords are detachable, swapping the white cords for the black iM616s would be a conversion I would consider as well. Of course the black iM616 cords do not contain the volume pot & HD / Bass mode switches. Just as well. The vol pot is likely junk and if the HD / Bass switch is just resistors taken in or out of line (as per the ER4P to 4S converter), I can do without that as well. Or, convert the pod into a detachable extension cable for those times I might use the vol & HD/bass modes (airplane, for example).

Good luck!

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Going for the Westone UM1, will post my opinions when I get them.
Thanks for the input.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 26
Got my UM1s yesterday and I have to say I´m quite dissapointed on first impressions. I have to do more critical listening (have listened for little over an hour between yesterday and today) but it seems as though someone has deleted the bass guitar tracks from all of my music, and the highs really need more sparkle. Overall they sound dull in my opinion. However the isolation is great, love to walk down busy streets of Madrid and just hear music withought having to concentrate to keep out the cars, voices, buses, etc

The new version of the rockbox firmware for my Iriver H120 now comes with a 5 band fully parametric equalizer so I´m now playing around trying to correct their sound a bit to make it fit my taste a bit more (not great luck yet though).

Hoping some burn-in might help a bit, but I´ve heard I can´t expect a big change from these.

I´ve been let dowm, already thinking of dual driver (or even triple) IEMs
frown.gif
I dont think the fit is an issue, as the comply tips seem to give a perfect fit on first try. Earphone solutions gave me a pair of tri-flange tips, but they make the UM1s hang out of my ears, which of the flanges have you guys cut on these to make them bi-flange? the big one or the small one?

Have some subway rides to do today and I´m sure I´ll love the experience despite the dull sound.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Got my UM1s yesterday and I have to say I´m quite dissapointed on first impressions. I have to do more critical listening (have listened for little over an hour between yesterday and today) but it seems as though someone has deleted the bass guitar tracks from all of my music, and the highs really need more sparkle.

Be glad you didn't get the Ety, which is even more bass-lacking on first listen. Give it some time. Coming straight from a nice open headphone like the PX100 will be quite disorienting, and usually somewhat disappointing. An IEM will probably never sound as good as an open headphone that costs half as much. I've been in this exact same situation, going from HD497 to ER-6i.

But let yourself get used to the sound - I found myself coming to love the Ety for its detail and clarity, and I even discovered some quite punchy and capable bass, which wasn't there at first. Your brain needs to "burn in" and adjust to the IEM signature.

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 26
depends on yr ears.. normally ppl cut away the top flange...Some has really small ear channel and they cut away the last flange..

Let them burn in .. The sound from Westone is quite rich i would said..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back