UM1 or ER-6i?
Jun 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

souledout

New Head-Fier
Which is better?

I currently have ER-6i paired with Shure olives but thinking of selling them and going with the UM1. The thing I love about the ER-6i is the soundstage. I love the separation of instruments and how it feels like the sound is outside your ears. Isolation is great also. Only things I dislike the 'cold' type of sound it has, opposed to a warm sound which is what I am more of a fan of. The cord is annoying also. It seems to get tangled every time I try and use them. It also seems like it will fray easily in the future.

I was looking at UM1 and I love how they look and it seems the braided cord is better in terms of reliability. How is the SQ compared to the ER-6i? Does the UM1 have a warmer sound than the ER-6i? How are the microphonics and isolation? These will be used for home use mainly, but will also be used on flights, trains, etc.. but I'd like to hear a little bit, not complete isolation.

My source is a Cowon D2 and I listen to a wide range of music from Jazz, Soul, Classic Rock to good/underground Hip Hop. Thanks for any help!
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by souledout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is better?

I currently have ER-6i paired with Shure olives but thinking of selling them and going with the UM1. The thing I love about the ER-6i is the soundstage. I love the separation of instruments and how it feels like the sound is outside your ears. Isolation is great also. Only things I dislike the 'cold' type of sound it has, opposed to a warm sound which is what I am more of a fan of. The cord is annoying also. It seems to get tangled every time I try and use them. It also seems like it will fray easily in the future.

I was looking at UM1 and I love how they look and it seems the braided cord is better in terms of reliability. How is the SQ compared to the ER-6i? Does the UM1 have a warmer sound than the ER-6i? How are the microphonics and isolation? These will be used for home use mainly, but will also be used on flights, trains, etc.. but I'd like to hear a little bit, not complete isolation.

My source is a Cowon D2 and I listen to a wide range of music from Jazz, Soul, Classic Rock to good/underground Hip Hop. Thanks for any help!
biggrin.gif

Well the UM1 will address some of your issues with the Etys. For one the um1's have a braided cable which is very nice. Better durability and helps eliminate cable noise. Also it definitely more of a warmer sound signature. Something you didn't ask about but I will comment on. The comfort level of the Westones stomp the er6i. The um1's sit flush with the ear. Also the comply tips help isolate and keep it comfortable for longer listening sessions. I think you would be very happy with them. Good luck!

PS: Yes I have owned both at one point
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 5
yes i believe shure, westone and ety use the same stalks dont they? corrct me if im wrong please. For complys they recomment the same tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back