um1 impressions a la noob
Aug 16, 2006 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audio_al

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I know another impression of the Westone UM1 is not particularly needed, but i've nothing to do so i'll just go ahead and say what I think
lambda.gif

These are my first IEMs, and my first decent earphone. I discovered the site while reading up on the Koss Plug (lol!), which I thought was decent at the time.
So I don't have much to reference the UM1 to.

I was excited when the postman handed over the parcel containing my precious UM1s! As I took them out of the box, I was amazed at how small these actually are. I had to look in the mirror the first few times to help me insert them, but I can do it pretty speedily after a few days with them. I tried the small comply tips, and they were perfect for comfort and isolation. Due to their small size and very light weight, they are extremley comfortable, and after about 5 mins I forget I even have these in my ears! The black twisted cable runs nicley behind the ears, however I would have liked a bit more weight on the cable, since I find it tangles very easily when I put the 'phones back into their pouch. They feel kinda fragile also, but I guess this is true to most IEMs (?). In all, however, I absolutley love the way the UM1s look, and they way they dissapear snugley into the ear!

Now to the sound. This is definatly a huge step up from the stock buds and "The Plug" which I used to use. The isolation helps me to hear a larger range of sounds, giving a more warm and musical sound to the majority of my music (I listen to most kinds of music!). I have heard that the UM1s are perhaps a little thin on bass. Initially I thought this may have been the case, but I put some hip-hop on and the bass was very present, being very controlled and tight compared to my other stock 'phones. The UM1s allow me to thoroughly enjoy my music. It is very versatile for my needs. By this I mean, when I'm on the move, they dont require critical listening to really enjoy them, slotting in nicley to the background. However, when I do want to sit down and listen carefully, the 'phones offer the clarity and detailed that I need at this early stage in my IEM journey.

Well, i'll leave it there. I tried my best to use descriptive language, but this is my first descriptive impression, so please go easy on me
etysmile.gif
lol.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Glad that you like them. I was curious at your pre-listening impression of them having thin bass. I think I've read that they're more "unrefined/boomy" than thin, but seeing as I've never heard them I really don't know. For me it was between these and the ER-6i's, went with the Ety's, and am personally pleased with my purchase. It seems that both are recommended often enough that most beginners couldn't go terribly wrong with either one, based on a little bit of research, of course.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 3
I know just what you mean! Having just bought a pair as my first true IEMs, I must say I'm really blown away by the performance of these tiny wonders. After seeing so many pictures of them on the net I can't believe how small they are when I first opened the box. And the enjoyment they bring me now in music...
rs1smile.gif
I'm re-ripping all my CDs in 320kbs just so I can hear every little detail they pump out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back