UM1, e2c, iM716 or CX-300 ???
Sep 22, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 25
The super.fi 3s are really not very good at all. The $70 you are paying is basically for the Ultimate Ears name IMO, because there is really nothing "great" about them.

I highly suggest the iM716. Here are some of the things I like about them:
  1. Comfortable if worn 'a la Shure'
  2. Incredibly clean, crisp sound for only $70
  3. Well balanced bass
  4. Sounds great amped and unamped, but does inprove considerably with a good amp.
  5. Excellent isolation

Some things about the e2c:
  1. Decent comfort depending on the size of your outer ear
  2. Sound is forward, exaggerated mids and boomy bass with sharp treble rolloff
  3. Haven't heard them with an amp since I sold them before my first amp
  4. Great isolation

Some things about the UE Super.fi 3:
  1. Great comfort
  2. Poor/average isolation
  3. Thin cables
  4. Sound decent out of iPod, bass improves loads with foam tips and amplification
  5. Sound is thin, uninvolving, slightly sibilent, with little bass

Some of my comments about the Super.fi 3 might seem very negative, that is just because I think they sound really bad for the price.

Hope this helps!

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 25
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=super.fi

Don't want to start a flame thread, but just to show where I'm getting my information, click on the above link. I still have yet to buy the Super.fi 3's once I have the funds to support my purchase. UE has apparently replaced and upgraded its cable, which seems to have improved its bass response.

edit: another thread -> http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=super.fi

second edit: just for your reference, I'm purchasing the Altec Lansing iM716 because of the price drop...

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m
Hi Theory_87,
Have your tried the iM616? How does it comepare to the iM716 and UM1?

Also how does the Rockbox firmware perform on the nano? Does the better EQ of the rockbox make a big difference for you and the iM716? How did the new firmware affect battery life? What are your general impression of the new firmware? Do you know if it is possible to revert back to Apple firmware?

Cheers

nope. no im616 tried.

rockbox is great. i can make a huge different in the sound with the eq. it does affect battery life. i'm getting around 8 hours per charge. yes, you can roll back to apple fw and on rockbox, you can even dual boot either apple or rockbox.

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

I didn't include them because I've read that the base is week. But I'm open minded, you guys just have to convince me with your real life experiences with this guear...

not really. it had a deeper bass extension over um1...

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87
not really. it had a deeper bass extension over um1...

Thank you all for your posts... after reading contradicting opinions I've come to the simple conclusion that I have to listen to this equipment for my self... I already knew tha IEM are like speakers, in the sense that everyone has a different ear and musical preference but was hoping to get a clear idea for these IEM. I will limit my choices to what ever I can find locally but will try and focus on the following:

Altec Lansing iM716/616
Westone UM1
UE Super.fi3, maybe Super.fi 5 if I can find a good deal...

Again thanx for your posts, your input has been apreciated.

Peter_m

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Sorry mate, never said I found iM716 at 50$. Read my original post, Amazon.com has the iM616 at 50$... Have you considered the iM616? They don't have the volue/switch thingy and might not require amplification like the iM716.

Do post your finding when you receive your order... Thanx for your comments.

Peter

Sorry I over-read your post.
But to the point, I do not think that the 616 are the same headphone as the 716. The 616 IIRC was based on the ER6i, and the 716 is closer to the ER4, that is at least what I have read, and the main reason why I choose the 716 as I liked the Etys ER4 a lot, in the last meeting. Honestly for $10.00 I will give the shot to best one, not sure if I even like it, but chances are that if I do not like the 716, I will not like the 616 neither....

BTW I found that argument of the easy hard to drive a little ambiguos, my walkman is able to drive even the DT880 to ear bleeding levels, and I do not think, and honestly I do not found any portable amp a need, other than to carry another thing around which defeat the protability purpose IMO...

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 25
I have the iM616s. They are easy to drive from a DAP and sound very good. One thing with both Altec Lansings is that apparently the only place you can get replacement filters is their site. Hopefully they'll continue support for these IEMs.

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle
I have the iM616s. They are easy to drive from a DAP and sound very good. One thing with both Altec Lansings is that apparently the only place you can get replacement filters is their site. Hopefully they'll continue support for these IEMs.

Is there any way in which you cna recycle the filter, or clen them or use a different material, like foam etc...BTW what is hte material of the filters???

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle
...Altec Lansings is that apparently the only place you can get replacement filters is their site. Hopefully they'll continue support for these IEMs.

How often do you need to change the filters? Are they made of metal mesh? If so, one could balst them with steam from a capuciono coffe machine to clean?

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Is there any way in which you cna recycle the filter, or clen them or use a different material, like foam etc...BTW what is hte material of the filters???

I think with Etys you can, but I think I read somewhere that the filter changing tool for the ALs pokes a hole in the filter. I haven't changed mine yet since I haven't had them very long. Someone else probably knows a lot more about IEM filters than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back