Ultrasound Pro 550 odd sound?
Sep 6, 2017 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

powerlifter450

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm not new to headphones but, I've never had a pair of these specific headphones before. They have a strange sound. Like when you are listening to music and part of your surround sound system is damaged. Part of the music sounds great but the vocals are way in the back. I haven't burned these in yet. I'm also trying to run them from a teac ha50 dac amp combo. This looks like a failure also. In spite of supposedly being able to drive 600 ohm headphones, they are struggling to try and drive these 64 ohm ones. I need to know if what I'm hearing is because these haven't been burned in. If these headphones are perhaps defective, and how they should sound with more power.

I've decided to get one of those schiit jotunheim amp dac combos as I only want one unit sitting by the computer and that's my max budget. I don't want anything else underpowered.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 5
You're running the Jotunheim single ended or balanced? Just asking because the Magni 2 is more powerful if you compare single ended at 50ohms :p

That's an odd problem though. Is the issue much greater than a simple case of "my last headphones had really foreward mids but these dont"?

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 5
You're running the Jotunheim single ended or balanced? Just asking because the Magni 2 is more powerful if you compare single ended at 50ohms :p

That's an odd problem though. Is the issue much greater than a simple case of "my last headphones had really foreward mids but these dont"?
Yes, I don't have the Schiit yet. I was considering it. I only have a Teac hp50 headphone dac amp. These things aren't getting enough power or they are defective. They are brand new.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, I don't have the Schiit yet. I was considering it. I only have a Teac hp50 headphone dac amp. These things aren't getting enough power or they are defective. They are brand new.
They sound defective honestly. But the Jot is definitely a great upgrade because it's so versatile! Just don't expect lots of power from the 1/4" jack, the balanced output is most of the reason the amp is worth the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back