Ultrasonic Frequencies in FLAC
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

whistlebug23

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all -

I was running some of my FLAC files through Spek when, for extra kicks and giggles, I put through the quintessential 192/24 Norah Jones. Now, I'm very much out of my league as soon as I open the box of signal processing (Nyquist & Shannon, eat your hearts out), but I thought these two bands at >75kHz (Fig 1) were interesting. I'm assuming this is an artifact of processing? Least of all, it's not like I'm going to have a 77.5kHz tone audibly ringing in my ears.

Some more observations:
The first band is very prominent on Lonestar (Fig 2).

The spectrum on One Flight Down is crazy, lots of blue and for some reason I think it looks like a David Finch film poster (Fig 3)...

The Long Day is Over has four bands, but I could be convinced it's only 3 (Fig 4). I also can't help but notice that the band(s) at ~32kHz increase in intensity between 0:20 and 0:45 (constructive interference? I haven't the foggiest idea!).

Anyway, hope you all think it's interesting too, and maybe I could learn something about signal processing while I'm here (but certainly not required).

Cheers,
Jake

P.S. In the same manner I have excessive 192/24 copies of Norah Jones, I also uploaded the largest possible version of the spectra. :deadhorse:

Fig 1. Spectrum of Don't Know Why
Norah Jones - 01. Don't Know Why.png

Fig 2. Lonestar
Norah Jones - 08. Lonestar.png

Fig 3. One Flight Down
Norah Jones - 11. One Flight Down.png

Fig 4. The Long Day is Over
Norah Jones - 13. The Long Day Is Over.png

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Agreed, nothing of worth in those higher frequencies. I do think it's neat to see that stuff pop up!

I'm glad you mentioned MusicScope, I was looking into it, but wasn't sure of a trustworthy download source. I see where I'll be spending a lot of time...

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 7
This is typical high frequency electronic noise picked up during the recording... IE garbage.
Settling to 44.1 kHz/16 bit saves from such ultrasonic garbage without loss of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back