Ultrasones sounding weird. Isolation? Help.
Nov 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheCodeOfLife

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently auditioned a pair of ultrasone pro 550s (grey ones) in an audio shop. When I first heard it. The shop owner plugged it into a giant black box(no idea what is was, I'm a noob) , and it sounded great. Amazing. Pure bliss. Aside from the fact that it sounded a little bit hollow, it was perfect.

However, when I plugged it into my ipad directly, it was totally horrible. It sounded like someone was scraping a fork onto a metal plate. I couldn't even recognise the songs I was playing. The shop owner told me that the ultrasone pro 550s need an amp to run properly. I did read somewhere on headfi that these don't take a lot of power to run though.

On a side note, maybe it's just the fact that I have yet to get used to the s logic thing. Also take note that the shop owner din't allow me to audition it for longer than 2 minutes.

Are ultrasones supposed to sound like this? Or is it just me judging too quickly.

Oh yeah, the black box I talked about literally looks like a black box roughly 10 cm high, 30 cm thick, and 50 cm long, it also has a few light bulb looking things on the top of it.

I listen to edm, instrumentals, mainstream music, alternative, guitar solos, acapellas..........basically anything but rap, hip hop and those kind of stuff.

Also, if anyone is kind enough, please tell me how good the isolation of ultrasones are. I'm gonna assume that those with a closed back have the same isolation. The shop I auditioned it in is really quiet so I couldn't tell.

Thanks for all the help :D

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 2
Update, I auditioned a pair of beyerdynamic custom one pros in the very same shop. They dint sound good, or bad, just meh....and the bass was a little too heavy for my liking. The isolation was superb though. I know because I almost couldn't hear myself talk. It was also soooo comfortable. They cost the same here. Both about 300$.

Which one should I get assuming the ultrasones will sound better when I get used to them?

Anyone who tried the sony mdr1r? Yeah I consider the sound isolation of that pair of headphones extremely bad so here's a gauge. The reasons why I need sound isolation so much is because I will be using them on the bus. And buses from my country......you need to scream in order to talk on it.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back