Ultrasones or something else ....
Dec 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jpstereo

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a brand spankin' new RudiStor NX-02 (Sistema) Headphone amp off of Amazon for a little over $300! Please help me choose some cans. The easy answer is Ultrasone (since this amp is touted as customized for the Proline models) but I don't know enough about them.

Should I look to Ultrasone? I primarily listen to Jazz and vocals ... Should I consider something else? I do have HD580s and Beyer DT440s already ...

Thanks,

JP

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 13
In my opinion, Ultrasones are kind of boring. They are very neutral and true to the recording, but are not as exciting or musical as the sennheiser hd580/600/650 line. The only Ultrasone which I have enjoyed listening to is the Edition 9, just because it brings out details you couldn't hear on other headphones. As far as the NX-02 being built for Ultrasones, I'm not sure. I'd say try the amp with your HD580s first and see how you like the sound.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a brand spankin' new RudiStor NX-02 (Sistema) Headphone amp off of Amazon for a little over $300! Please help me choose some cans. The easy answer is Ultrasone (since this amp is touted as customized for the Proline models) but I don't know enough about them.

Should I look to Ultrasone? I primarily listen to Jazz and vocals ... Should I consider something else? I do have HD580s and Beyer DT440s already ...

Thanks,

JP

Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, Ultrasones are kind of boring. They are very neutral and true to the recording, but are not as exciting or musical as the sennheiser hd580/600/650 line. The only Ultrasone which I have enjoyed listening to is the Edition 9, just because it brings out details you couldn't hear on other headphones. As far as the NX-02 being built for Ultrasones, I'm not sure. I'd say try the amp with your HD580s first and see how you like the sound.

jpstereo,
I disagree with compuryan in his opinion that Ultrasones are boring. IMO, they are most definitely not boring. He is correct in that they sound as though they are true to the recording. Incidentally, compuryan, to the best of my knowledge "neutral" headphones have never been released in mass to the general public. There is a tremendous difference between headphones, the EQ of which are "neutral" as compared to headphones that sound as though they are EQ'd neutral. Because of the way we hear, headphones have to be EQ'd to a setting other than "neutral" to sound "neutral" to the average human hearing.
I own the Pro 750 and really enjoy it's sound. Especially when you factor in the S-Logic "surround effect", they are very exciting sounding headphones, to say the very least.
I invite you to look through the links in my sig area. You will see that not everyone agrees about Ultrasones or any other headphone. This is the reason it is very important that you hear these as well as any headphone before you purchase it.
BTW, I listen to Jazz and vocals all of the time with the Pro 750. This type of music, as well as all other genres of music I've ever played on them, sounds absolutely fantastic on the Pro 750, IMEO.
Good luck in making your selection.

Edit: jpstereo, prepare to be impressed!
This is off topic but I thought you would enjoy reading this.
Your avatar, I'm sure you know, is a picture of the beloved comic, Shemp Howard who with his brother Moe Howard and Larry Fine made up the original "Three Stooges". "Curly" who was also one of the Howard Brothers came along later when Shemp did not want to be part of the group anymore. After Curly's death Shemp rejoined the group.
This is the part that will impress you:
Many years ago, I saw Moe Howard in person.
Shemp by this time had long since past away. I would have also seen Larry Fine in this show but he didn't do the show because his son had been involved in an accident and he had to return to Los Angeles.
Moe appeared with "Curly Joe" who was not the original "Curly". This was in the early 1960's. The original "Curly" died around 1950, if memory serves correctly.
I know this is going off topic but I thought you would enjoy "riding this de-railed train" because of your avatar.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 13
I just got a pair of Proline 650, and I cant disagree more with the boring statement. They are currently taking a bit of time away from my 325i for rock music, I love them. I would say go with a pair of Ultrasones.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jpstereo,
I disagree with compuryan in his opinion that Ultrasones are boring. IMO, they are most definitely not boring. He is correct in that they sound as though they are true to the recording. Incidentally, compuryan, to the best of my knowledge "neutral" headphones have never been released in mass to the general public. There is a tremendous difference between headphones, the EQ of which are "neutral" as compared to headphones that sound as though they are EQ'd neutral. Because of the way we hear, headphones have to be EQ'd to a setting other than "neutral" to sound "neutral" to the average human hearing.
I own the Pro 750 and really enjoy it's sound. Especially when you factor in the S-Logic "surround effect", they are very exciting sounding headphones, to say the very least.
I invite you to look through the links in my sig area. You will see that not everyone agrees about Ultrasones or any other headphone. This is the reason it is very important that you hear these as well as any headphone before you purchase it.
BTW, I listen to Jazz and vocals all of the time with the Pro 750. This type of music, as well as all other genres of music I've ever played on them, sounds absolutely fantastic on the Pro 750, IMEO.
Good luck in making your selection.

Edit: jpstereo, prepare to be impressed!
This is off topic but I thought you would enjoy reading this.
Your avatar, I'm sure you know, is a picture of the beloved comic, Shemp Howard who with his brother Moe Howard and Larry Fine made up the original "Three Stooges". "Curly" who was also one of the Howard Brothers came along later when Shemp did not want to be part of the group anymore. After Curly's death Shemp rejoined the group.
This is the part that will impress you:
Many years ago, I saw Moe Howard in person.
Shemp by this time had long since past away. I would have also seen Larry Fine in this show but he didn't do the show because his son had been involved in an accident and he had to return to Los Angeles.
Moe appeared with "Curly Joe" who was not the original "Curly". This was in the early 1960's. The original "Curly" died around 1950, if memory serves correctly.
I know this is going off topic but I thought you would enjoy "riding this de-railed train" because of your avatar.

Peter,

You'll be happy to know that I am going to give the 750s a whirl! I just picked up a pair and I'm looking forward to using them with the NX-02 which has been optimized for the Ultrasones! I am very much looking forward to adding these to my stable of phones.

As the 3 Stooges go - they are the ultimate classic comedians. To this day, I stilll enjoy their innocent nonsense! Something that is truly lacking in this day and age! Thanks for the side story!

JP

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 13
The Ultrasones is first and foremost all about bass and they offer the best bass out of every headphones in the market. For jazz and vocals, I don't think they are what you should be looking at, something like the K701 might be better.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 13
He snaked the pro 750's in the FS forum methinks, so he's locked on target, at least until they show up
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He snaked the pro 750's in the FS forum methinks, so he's locked on target, at least until they show up
smily_headphones1.gif

I did indeed!
evil_smiley.gif

I shall soon see how they mate with the RudiStor NX-02 Sistema.

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ultrasones is first and foremost all about bass and they offer the best bass out of every headphones in the market. For jazz and vocals, I don't think they are what you should be looking at, something like the K701 might be better.

IMO, the K 701 is a very fine sounding headphone excepting for it's slightly weak sounding bass. The Pro 750 does a much better job of portraying the lower frequencies. The "Stand up Bass" (the instrument) sounds incredible on the Pro 750 as do vocals, either female or male.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter,

You'll be happy to know that I am going to give the 750s a whirl! I just picked up a pair and I'm looking forward to using them with the NX-02 which has been optimized for the Ultrasones! I am very much looking forward to adding these to my stable of phones.

As the 3 Stooges go - they are the ultimate classic comedians. To this day, I stilll enjoy their innocent nonsense! Something that is truly lacking in this day and age! Thanks for the side story!

JP

I believe you are making an excellent choice. Here are a couple of suggestions from a "veteran" Pro 750 user:
Make sure you give them plenty of burn in time and make sure they are positioned "correctly" (for you) on your head and ears. Look in my sig area for Dexdexter's "Missing Manual..." for a discussion of proper positioning (which actually varies to a minor degree with the individual) but basically, the main idea is that the headband is worn over the center of the head (as opposed to close to the back of the head for other headphones) and the ears are to be centered within the cups. I can use myself as one example of a slight deviation of the ear in cup positioning. I have found my "sweet spot" of the Pro 750's sound involves my wearing the cups so that the front of my ears near the bass of my ear (at the ear lobe) touches the inside of the front bottom part of the ear pad. Doing this causes the rest of my ear to be centered within the cup. Your positioning may be slightly different.
Congratulations on making a decision and I hope that you enjoy them.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the K 701 is a very fine sounding headphone excepting for it's slightly weak sounding bass. The Pro 750 does a much better job of portraying the lower frequencies. The "Stand up Bass" (the instrument) sounds incredible on the Pro 750 as do vocals, either female or male.

And what he should be looking for isn't something that does the lower frequencies better. Jazz doesn't need powerful, impactful bass, something like the K701 will be more suitable for him IMHO.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 13
Many thanks Peter and Kees. I am very much looking forward to the Rudi/750 set-up. I previously owned K701s and was disapointed with what I perceived to be a lack of full bass and otherwise thin sound. Not a bad phone mind you but definitely not for me!

JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back