Ultrasone Proline 750 or DT770/32 or A900?
Feb 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFI-650 is similar to Proline 650

frown.gif
That's bad as those *are* honky and fatiguing.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowhornz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so that gives the proline 750's more of a reason to get.. how much different will the sound be with a small cheap portable amp as opposed to without one? is it just a minor difference?

I thought at first I didn't need an amp but when I tried it (proline 750) with one wow...better with an amp. It 's not just the volumeboost but the sounqual also improves. The bass goes a lot deeper with a lot more detail and the same goes for the rest of the freq's. It's sounds reasonable good straigth out of an iPod if you don't know the difference
I use the GoVibe 5 which is not too expensive. I saw it on the site below for 55 dollars incl. shippment. The size is not more than a package of sigarettes.

http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know headphone.com is not the be all end all of reviews, but they clearly have the HFI series above the Proline series. You rarely see reviews here for the HFI's possibly because people assume the Proline is a better can. It might be since I haven't heard Ultrasones, but if the HFI's are better as Headroom indicates, then you could save yourself some money.

It is indeed very personal but I think the hfi's are more preferred cause they are more forgiving than the prolines and thus more fun to listen.
Than it's just a matter of just wanna enjoy the music or wanna hear everything that a recording has to offer including the flaws

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I'll say is that it would be a disservice to both Ultrasone & your ears to generalize what you've heard with an older model to the current PROline offerings.

Most likely so. I also have always had a very hard time with the positioning of the Ultrasone drivers... the geometry of my ears may prevent me from hearing the "surround" thing that many enjoy. I sort of just get a muffled and honky thing until I move the drivers up to the center of my ear; then it sounds oddly bright.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #20 of 29
1st lemme say that callin anbody a honkey doesn't help matters much, even if they are, so lets just all calm down...

then, on a more serious note, lemme say that I have never heard ANY phone for the price of the proline 750 come even close to them. with a good source and a good amp after some burn in these are extremely good headphones.
they were honky in moments(among other things) before they had a bunch of hours on them, but not after; and they are very revealing of source in the highs, (so I upgraded my portable i river cdp to a rega apollo, but was also driven to do that by my ety's and sony cd3000's. in fact only the rolled off highs of the shure e500's disguised the slightly thin nature of the iriver).

anyway. if you have an amp I highly recommend these. and if you are not spoiled by having a killer source in a rig you will probably love these with any source. but i am spoiled at this point.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Prolines are the deal though b/c if sovkiller can live with them they must be decent.

Hahaha, so true...

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 29
Let me put in a word for the 770/32. Contrary to some opinions expressed here, these cans do not require an amp or take a lot of current to drive. I wonder how many of these opinion leaders have actually tried these cans. In terms of sheer volume, I run mine at a decent volume out of a Gina 3G soundcard without amplification and the volume knob is around 7 o'clock (6 = zero). From my Marantz CD67SE (a good 'phone out), they use about 3 or 4 segments of volume (out of about 20).

Obviously, as people on these forums like to point out ad nauseum, all three cans will most likely sound better with a good amp. But that's so obvious it hardly needs to be said. The point is, for your needs, they would do wonderfully well. I can't compare them directly to the other cans, which I haven't heard, but I can recommend them heartily for electronic music. Great spatial positioning, and a real feeling of ambience and clubbiness. And after a couple of hundred hours on mine, I'm pleased to report the initial peakiness and bass-heaviness has calmed down, bringing the famous 'recessed mids' forward.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 29
lol i was so set on getting the ultrasones until arto showed up! i wish arto had experience with a 750, or oqvist with a 32ohm version of the dt770. thanks everyone for the help except for someone calling something a honky.. if the ultrasone 750s looked something like the e9 i woulda gotten it without a thought..

i gotta make up my mind! i wish there was one perfect headphone

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowhornz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol i was so set on getting the ultrasones until arto showed up! i wish arto had experience with a 750, or oqvist with a 32ohm version of the dt770. thanks everyone for the help except for someone calling something a honky.. if the ultrasone 750s looked something like the e9 i woulda gotten it without a thought..

i gotta make up my mind! i wish there was one perfect headphone

You will only know for sure if you buy and try them for yourself. Maybe you have a store around with a return-policy and are able to try all of which you are feeling attracted to at the moment, although I have to say, the prolines need a LOT of burning in to sound as they "should" but than again that is probably the only hp I truly know and can speak of sincerely.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think both the A900 and DT770 are better than the Ultrasones... I couldn't get over how strangely honky they were.

But you bought them from the man himself.....

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you bought them from the man himself.....

Yeah, those were a different style though. The cheaper fully closed type. I've also auditioned several other types in audio stores and at meets.

EDIT: Well, "fully closed" is the wrong word, they were a different style of closed. The higher end stuff IS better than those, but still, there's no way I can hear any of them and think I'm in an open environment like I could with the DT770. Those don't sound as closed, it's like the reverb I associated with closed 'phones wasn't there.

EDIT 2: Hmm, I should put down the shovel and stop digging this hole. I'm getting dirt in my ears.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, those were a different style though. The cheaper fully closed type. I've also auditioned several other types in audio stores and at meets.

EDIT: Well, "fully closed" is the wrong word, they were a different style of closed. The higher end stuff IS better than those, but still, there's no way I can hear any of them and think I'm in an open environment like I could with the DT770. Those don't sound as closed, it's like the reverb I associated with closed 'phones wasn't there.

EDIT 2: Hmm, I should put down the shovel and stop digging this hole. I'm getting dirt in my ears.

Sorry you did not like them, I listend to them before you bought them but not for long enought to form any opinion. I wish I had spent more time at their booth at the National Meet.

I am hoping to try Jimmy's on Saturday.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me put in a word for the 770/32. Contrary to some opinions expressed here, these cans do not require an amp or take a lot of current to drive. I wonder how many of these opinion leaders have actually tried these cans. In terms of sheer volume, I run mine at a decent volume out of a Gina 3G soundcard without amplification and the volume knob is around 7 o'clock (6 = zero). From my Marantz CD67SE (a good 'phone out), they use about 3 or 4 segments of volume (out of about 20).

Obviously, as people on these forums like to point out ad nauseum, all three cans will most likely sound better with a good amp. But that's so obvious it hardly needs to be said. The point is, for your needs, they would do wonderfully well. I can't compare them directly to the other cans, which I haven't heard, but I can recommend them heartily for electronic music. Great spatial positioning, and a real feeling of ambience and clubbiness. And after a couple of hundred hours on mine, I'm pleased to report the initial peakiness and bass-heaviness has calmed down, bringing the famous 'recessed mids' forward.

I am sorry if you think that people telling someone on this board with 18 post that they will sound better with an amp is ad nauseum. It is nothing but the truth. AS I STATED IN MY FIST POST IN THIS THREAD achieving volume with any of these cans is not a problem. Achieving the sound he is after, spending this kind of money will require an amp. If someone is not willing to spend 50 bucks on a decent amp,why spend 250 dollars on some cans . There are plenty of cans that sound wonderful unamped. I just don't think any of these qualify.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One can get all the volume he needs from them, they are efficient in that way. However, current doesnt affect volume. They need it for sound quality, pretty much same as Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back