Ultrasone products: any owners/opinions?
Jul 15, 2005 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SV_huMMer

100+ Head-Fier
In my search of good closed-back mate for my AKG K501 (menage-a-trois it was called in another thread - heh!
smily_headphones1.gif
, I came across Ultrasone products. I did not see them particularly actively discussed on this forum, but wander whether there are any owners or at least people who demoed them.

If you go to www.ultrasone.com, and then to the Pro Line section, there are a few quite interesting-looking closed cans. What do you think? Especially of the PROLine 750. Also, their S-Logic thing is quite intriguing on paper - built-in crossfeed???

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 9
I own a pair of HFI-650s, and they are fairly decent. They are definately not worth the retail price though. The Ultrasone stock sound (IMO) is boosted bass and treble. The HFI-650s are almost to the point of being bright. The build quality is lacking, the headband cracks and is expensive to replace. The plastic joints are extremely squeaky too. The soundstage doesent seem all that wide, compared to the HD600s. Other than all the negatives, they are my perfect closed can. I havent found another that sounds as good.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, that's sad to hear... Hope the Pro line would be better in terms of build quality. What's your opinion about their S-Logic? Is it nothing but marketing?

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Forgot to mention, I also demoed the Proline 750. Same build quality, but the Proline had a removeable cord and the more comfortable velvet pads. The only difference I could tell between the Proline 750 and HFI-650 is that the proline had less bass impact. I dont know what to say about the S-Logic. I dont find the soundstage to be good compared to most of the other cans in the pricerange. If there was a way to enable/disable it, there would be a clear answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 9
I got it. So far does not seem to be many people's favourite cans, hehe
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 9
I loved my hfi 550 very much (on my short sig down there =) but I 103% understand if there's not many fans of ultrasone sound. HFI550 sounds like hfi650 but with that much reduced treble it sounded almost dark. Plus, the midrange takes some getting used to.

However like saturnine said, they're my favorite closed cans.

Edit: very difficult for me to imagine somebody who could enjoy both 501 and 550 - almost opposite cans !

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 9
I bought the proline 2500's (semi-open version of 750) and I hated it. It is brighter and harsher than the 325i I now have and was just really bad. The bass was also far too present and it had an un-natural sound overall. The soundstage was distant and unrealistic, the construction was creaky and it was uncomfortable. It just sounded bright, harsh and sibilant to me, I didn't like it even after a lot of burn-in. Unlike the 325i, which although a bit bright and edgy is very good with classic rock.
If you like the akg501 I don't think you'll like the proline 750, I'd recommend you get a sennheiser or akg closed headphone.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I bought the proline 2500's (semi-open version of 750) and I hated it. It is brighter and harsher than the 325i I now have and was just really bad. The bass was also far too present and it had an un-natural sound overall. The soundstage was distant and unrealistic, the construction was creaky and it was uncomfortable. It just sounded bright, harsh and sibilant to me, I didn't like it even after a lot of burn-in. Unlike the 325i, which although a bit bright and edgy is very good with classic rock.
If you like the akg501 I don't think you'll like the proline 750, I'd recommend you get a sennheiser or akg closed headphone.

Wow, that's a pretty straight-forward negative impression!

With all due respect to Senns, I don't personally think their closed-backs in the 200-300 range excel as much as their open mates. Of what's available in Russia, I've tried two models:

HD280/280 Pro: I just can't wear them - it's like putting an iron on your head! They squeeze so much that I can't even appreciate the sound - so much I am disappointed by the comfort.

HD270: slightly better in terms of wear comfort, but didn't like the sound this much.

BTW, I'd like to invite some impressions about HD265. I did not have a chance to listen to them, but from specs and design I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back