Ultrasone pro900 vs pro750 as a K701 companion
Dec 18, 2008 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Pyriel0

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a companion to my K701's. I decided on the ultrasone brand because they sound like fun headphones in regards to their bass/presentation and I know they will fit me well. I have a narrow head and headphones like audio technica do not fit me.

I was convinced the 750's were the ones for me until I read about the 900's today and now I'm just confused again.

I have also read most of the thread on the 900's but it seemed that everyone giving opinions had not fully burned them in yet.

The 750's are $270 and the 900 is $450. Is the price difference worth getting the 900 over the 750? I know the 900 has better bass from reading what everyone else has posted. Does the 900 have the same dip in lower midrange the 750 has? How is the treble on both of them?

Thanks

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a companion to my K701's. I decided on the ultrasone brand because they sound like fun headphones in regards to their bass/presentation and I know they will fit me well. I have a narrow head and headphones like audio technica do not fit me.

I was convinced the 750's were the ones for me until I read about the 900's today and now I'm just confused again.

I have also read most of the thread on the 900's but it seemed that everyone giving opinions had not fully burned them in yet.

The 750's are $270 and the 900 is $450. Is the price difference worth getting the 900 over the 750? I know the 900 has better bass from reading what everyone else has posted. Does the 900 have the same dip in lower midrange the 750 has? How is the treble on both of them?

Thanks

The first thing I want to tell you is don't believe everything you read on Head-Fi. The second thing I want to tell you is that I have the Pro 750 and I really enjoy it's sound. The third thing I want to tell you is I've never heard the Pro 900 so I could not comment on it's sound. The fourth thing I want to tell you is that you may be able to obtain a better price on either the Pro 750 or the Pro 900 from Northern Sound and Lights. The fifth thing I want to tell you is that is all I have to tell you this time.

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 26
i got the 750's so i cant speak for the 900's but i imagine the differences between the two to only be subtle. personally i would get the 750 and spend the difference on something else as the 750s are pretty good anyway.
it would say the bass on the 750 is decent, not boomey or muddy if anything its slightly above the level of the rest of the spectrum (i read by 2-3db) but its not too overbearing. to me it sounds like the dominant sound presentation you hear is in the upper mids which details the frequencies around it well (highs and mids) and you can hear alot of detail in most music because of this, im guess in the 900 will be the same as the hfi580 is too.

im in two minds about the lower mid dip, the frequency graph undoutably shows its there but its quite difficult to actually hear it, ( the 750 sounds quite natural and open after alot of burn in) i think this is because it falls between the dominant presentation of high mids and a slightly boosted bass. also our perception of mid increases as volume increases so its difficult to hear it and it may actually help prevent the mids to stay level at high volumes.

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 26
Ultrasone has a bad headband, they are not really that comfortable, the AKG are very nice sort of comfortable the K171HD onear just clamps down too hard i think...

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 26
Thanks everyone for the responses and Acix I hate you lol.
smile.gif
I didn't want to spend soo much money on the ED9 but now I'm considering it after getting a letter saying I get more money for college than I thought.

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the responses and Acix I hate you lol.
smile.gif
I didn't want to spend soo much money on the ED9 but now I'm considering it after getting a letter saying I get more money for college than I thought.

u could get another set of reasonably ok headphones for the difference between the two prices

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 26
I'm doing the RS-1/K701 combo.

Your music will tell you what to get. If you listen to high energy genre, get a metal canned hp like a MS-2i. If you like more natural instruments and vocals, a woody sounds sweet. Most of my music is acoustic blues, rock, new age, bluegrass, old country. The majority of the rest is prog. rock, pop, electronic music. These two hps do a nice job.

The 701s relax and the RS-1s rock.

Good advice, trying the Ultrasones. Guitar Centers carry the line, though probably not the Ed. 9s.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 26
Or just fork the dynamics and go Stax?

Actually, I would consider a 780. Just was doing so today actually. You can upgrade a 780 to almost an ED9.

Make sense?

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 26
Yeah I read that a recabled 780 is pretty nice. I was looking more at the other 2 because they have the same drivers as the ED9. If the 780 is really that good its just adding to the chaos of deciding. lol

I listen to a lot of Dream Theater / Tool / Between the Buried and Me / Bullet for My Valentine and stuff like that.

The only reason I'm not really considering grado is because of the fit. I was told there is about 4 inches between the tops of the ear pads and I think they would fit pretty loose on me. I planned on the ultrasones because they are supposed to have a good grip. Since I have a narrow head they will probably fit just right without stretching them out.

Edit: I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the pro900's after seeing the price on that site. Thanks for telling me about Northern Lights and Sounds. I just can't justify spending that much on ED9's. I have plans to get another shanling and try my K701's balanced since I just have to cut the cord and solder 2 connectors on. If it works out, I will recable the pro 900 for balanced dual entry. They probably wouldn't be far off from ED9's at that point anyways(I hope). Thanks again everyone.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 26
I recently had a chance to compare my still breaking in Pro 900 against K601, K701 and DT990. Granted, I don't have a decent amp on hand for these more current hungry phones to show off what they can do, so take my impression with a grain of salt.

I prefer the Pro 900 as the most transparent, detailed and nimble of the bunch. Music start and stop with no overhang with these cans. I also feel the 900 to be more coherent. Whether due to its titanium drivers, the Pro 900 do lack some warmth and tonality which some may like, but I don't feel K701 is necessarily better in those compartments also. I also briefly compare the 900 to the 750 and feel the 900 to be quite a bit better.

My only problem with the 900 is that they are too heavy (~300g) for me. May eventually let it go but solely because of this reason.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 26
300g is actually one of the lighter ones in its class :p you're hard pressed to find anything lighter (beyerdynamics maybe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back