Ultrasone Pro900 ... Thank you Mr. Kees !
Feb 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

downsize

Member of the Trade
Having burned in the Pro 900s for approx 170 hrs , I was left with a VERY mixed bag of opinions. I could hear the absolutely GREAT things the 900s do so well, crazy speed, resolution, separation of instruments, detail, and deep bass ...... BUT, I also heard things I did not like : Metallic amd zingy highs, a somewhat honky upper midrange, a recessed overall midrange, and some bass resonation.
I could hear the promise of GREAT sound, but it was just out of reach due to the 900s sins of comission, no matter how slight.

[size=medium]Then came the Kees Mod ..... Peeps, this is NOT subtle on these cans at all ![/size]

The difference is astounding. The highs are still VERY detailed, but no longer splashy or bright. The mids are now more forward and warm, VERY natural sounding, and ALL of the upper mid honkiness is gone.
And the bass ? Perfectly tight, deep, and controlled.
This is what i want my mega buck DIY speakers I will be starting this summer to sound like.
I still have a portable rig to purchase, but these cans are now as good as I will be wanting for my home set up. Better than this ??? Maybe for some, but this satisfies my sonic nirvana needs.

Three cheers for you Kees ! Thanks

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 17
x2

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 17
Where's the link to the kees mod?
EDIT: NVM found it, but where do you get a screw driver the right size for this mod?

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 17
Indeed, It's a very positive mod for them. I actually found them a bit *too* nice sounding for my taste after the mod so i tried to combine the Kees mod with a layer of dynamat i put on the inside of the cups but it didn't come out that well becuase the bass became so dull. So i removed the cotton on the felt dot and i remain very happy with the result, they are not as smooth overall as with the Kees mod but a bit more visceral though not a bright and harsh as stock. I wish i didn't have to sell mine.
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 17
You don´t really have to
wink.gif

screw drivers like these are optimum Clas Ohlson Internetbutik - Allt för en enklare vardag. the screws aren´t the most durable and you may want to experiment with different thickness of cotton wool. So using the correct screw driver as not to ruin the screws is recommended. Doubt the screws are propriatory though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwnm30rdi3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's the link to the kees mod?
EDIT: NVM found it, but where do you get a screw driver the right size for this mod?

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, ect, ect .... The screws are soooo tight, you will NEVER get the el cheapo eyeglasses sets you can buy in grocery stores to work ! You will strip the heads of the screws with these !

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, It's a very positive mod for them. I actually found them a bit *too* nice sounding for my taste after the mod so i tried to combine the Kees mod with a layer of dynamat i put on the inside of the cups but it didn't come out that well becuase the bass became so dull. So i removed the cotton on the felt dot and i remain very happy with the result, they are not as smooth overall as with the Kees mod but a bit more visceral though not a bright and harsh as stock. I wish i didn't have to sell mine.
frown.gif

Interesting your remarks are ( Yoda ) .... I used exactly half the cotton that Kees suggested ( it was hell tearing a pad in to a 1mm thick layer !!! ) ..

This made the bass JUST right, and left the cans still exciting. I think I found the perfect amount for my tastes on the first attempt ... Funny, I don't know just why I chose to go with half of Kees suggested thickness ... ESPN maybe
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 17
You initial impressions were exactly like mine! That's great you got the correct amount of Kees mod to work for ya
wink.gif
And you are absolutely right, the change is not subtle! I almost thought they were fakes until the mod!

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You initial impressions were exactly like mine! That's great you got the correct amount of Kees mod to work for ya
wink.gif
And you are absolutely right, the change is not subtle! I almost thought they were fakes until the mod!

Makes one wonder just how much alcohol Kees had consumes when he came up with such a glorious solution ??? LOL
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 17
I wonder why ultrasone made those holes in the first place lol.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 17
What I would really like to know is why Ultrasone chooses to ignore the obvious faults, however small, the 900s have before modding, and why they do not employ the 2 cents worth of mods in the first place ?

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 17
I think we can all say that to just about any headphone. The PRO 900 aren't exactly suppose to be musical. Ultrasone is really around because of recording/monitoring, just ask the big man himself!

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 17
It´s to redirect audio around your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back