Ultrasone Pro 900 vs AKG K702
Oct 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zucchini
wink.gif

I've been using this nickname for over 10 years and you're the first one comparing it to a vegetable lol.

Quote:

Guess it´s something with the ultra stiff titanium drivers or something but they are infamous for their burn in requirements
tongue.gif

You've got a point here.

Quote:

I don´t run the full (KeeS) mod though so the highs aren´t affected that much it´s primarily the bass it affects the most.

Now that I remember it was on song of mine that didn't have the treble well mixed... Not the headphones. Sorry for misleading you guys. I think the air / highs were silky smooth, but a bit more present than the Seinnheiser K460.

Quote:

If you want them more forward you can plug the middle hole. Supposed to help reduce ev sibilance but I found it killed soundstaging to much.

Did it ? So what part of the KeeS mod did you keep then ?

Quote:

Pro 900 is of course not 100 % accurate either we are talking headphones after all but they are the closest to my speaker presentation when using neo 6 music surround mode in particular
smily_headphones1.gif

That's definitely a big plus for the PRO900. My main concern being the translation.

Quote:

As for mixing I do find the 900 just as revealing as the K701. It certainly is more unforgiving then the K701 it will scream sibilance at you and make your head feels like splitting if you use to much stereo separation. there is nothing wrong with the bass or treble extension either very full on both headphones.

Ha... Then I guess I have a winner, the PRO900 here. As I'm more used to closed HeadPhones, I'll feel more like home with these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastersheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you try PRO900 in France ?
I'm very interested !!
Thanks for answering amis audiophile
beyersmile.png

At Univers-Son in Paris ! The best audio store with of course Home-Studio. Here's the Google Map location.

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zacchino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using this nickname for over 10 years and you're the first one comparing it to a vegetable lol.

I have been using this username for years as well and never been called ogqvist before
wink.gif
Only teasing a bit lol

The Kees Mod I run is the felt on the driver cups to increase mass and reduce vibrations. And cotton wool behind the driver plate. The mod is totally reversible so you are free to experiment with it. It´s quite addicting so I kind of forced myself stop playing with different layers of cotton wool.

But also if you ever get the chance to participate in any of the german maestro loan program do take it. Would suggest the 435S/450 Pro. 8.35D Monitors if you need the isolation but I enjoyed the 435S/450 Pro quite a bit more. Those also benefit from modding in term of easy ear pad swapping.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 20
Alright,

My choice went with the Ultrasone Pro 900 for two reasons :

- They don't lie to you especially when translating your music to 2.1 systems with a subwoofer.

- When modded, they tend to perfection. Less brilliance in the highs, more presence, no more leaking sub-bass.

I would've picked the AKG K702 if they weren't open-back headphones.

I can't see where I can tryout the Grado so, maybe that I'm missing something here - who knows.

If anyone has their Pro 900 with +400 hours of listening, I'd love to know how they sound at this stage.

- Isaac

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 20
Have you modded them already? I'd be careful how much you buy into these mods here. They basically all consist of stuffing the headphone with damping material. The thing is like all engineering problems the right amount of damping is a critical value. Personally I trust that a manufacturer can figure that out better with measurements and design than I can by just stuffing in material.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you modded them already? I'd be careful how much you buy into these mods here. They basically all consist of stuffing the headphone with damping material. The thing is like all engineering problems the right amount of damping is a critical value. Personally I trust that a manufacturer can figure that out better with measurements and design than I can by just stuffing in material.

My first post here so hello to everyone I have enjoyed reading everyone's insightful comments.

True. I have never done it and I am heading towards 300 hours through which I find the Pro 900 is delicate and smoother than a few months ago. I play it through an essence xonar xts. Though I prefer it digitally connected through a Marantz amp where I use the headphone output.

I am addicted to music though the the pro 900 in this manner due to its ability to reproduce piano/classical recordings extremely well compared to anything else I have heard in a head stage at low volumes - period.

I am not sure I like listening to the Pro 900 at high volume at any time even after it is fully burned in, in my opinion its not that type of headphone.

With good recordings I have had no bass, sibilance issues at all. So I don't think I will mod it as I dislike it for the same reason as above. Its a type of sound that was critically engineered to be enjoyed in its native form factor. All IMHO though. Lots of others here enjoy it modded. I merely state what I think of these headphones after 300 hours of selecting music which ultimately confirms I did not waste my time in research & hard earned money by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back