Ultrasone Pro 900 sound leakage
Mar 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gordonshowers

Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I currently use HD600s in bed, about 2 feet away from my wife. I like to listen "fairly" loud, and because they're open-backed they leak too much sound for her.

Can anybody please tell me how quiet/annoying a pair of Pro 900s would be so close to somebody when listened to "fairly" loud?

Also, would the sound leaked reduce by much if I turn down the volume to a "normal" level?

Many thanks

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 17
Closed headphones are better than open headphones in terms of sound leakage, but for the most part i find that sound leakage largely depends on where you have the loud pedal.

At full tilt, my wife could here nearly every detail of my Pro 750's from upstairs, when i was sitting downstairs
mad.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closed headphones are better than open headphones in terms of sound leakage, but for the most part i find that sound leakage largely depends on where you have the loud pedal.

At full tilt, my wife could here nearly every detail of my Pro 750's from upstairs, when i was sitting downstairs
mad.gif

I didn't know the Ultrasone had detail
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone.

I currently use HD600s in bed, about 2 feet away from my wife. I like to listen "fairly" loud, and because they're open-backed they leak too much sound for her.

Can anybody please tell me how quiet/annoying a pair of Pro 900s would be so close to somebody when listened to "fairly" loud?

Also, would the sound leaked reduce by much if I turn down the volume to a "normal" level?

Many thanks

She will be able to hear it, about 1/3 as loud as a pair of open headphones. (-9dB or so) I'd say. If you turn the volume to a "normal" level then she would barely be able to hear it at 2 feet in my experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif

WHAT!?

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm about to buy the Ultrasone PRO 900 when my guitar refund comes through.
I am concerned that I would disturb whoever is sitting next to me on the train or bus.
Also I was wondering where I could get a [size=medium]ć̡̗̺̖̫̟̔͌̓͝o͖͍̠̖̞͕ͦ̽̅ͣ͒̽m͖͎͚̱̩͆́̋ͨ͌͢p̿̏̾͠҉̤̙͖͓͉̪ͅ ̟a̷͉̪̰̞̝͙̭͛́c̖͐̀͑̓̏̕t̡̞̜̱͈͖̥̪̍͟͢[/size] 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (the cable type, not the ones that make your DAP 2-3" longer because they just stick on the end of the 1/4" plug), as I've heard those can damage the socket connection on your DAP, and will make my already long Teclast T51 quite cumbersome.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 17
Should work fine especially since they are tuned for low level listening in the first place. Isolation is good after all even though the Ed 8 isolate better and is more suitable for bed listening
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 17
Grado mini adaptor is a flexible type with a couple of inches of cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to buy the Ultrasone PRO 900 when my guitar refund comes through.
I am concerned that I would disturb whoever is sitting next to me on the train or bus.
Also I was wondering where I could get a [size=medium]ć̡̗̺̖̫̟̔͌̓͝o͖͍̠̖̞͕ͦ̽̅ͣ͒̽m͖͎͚̱̩͆́̋ͨ͌͢p̿̏̾͠҉̤̙͖͓͉̪ͅ ̟a̷͉̪̰̞̝͙̭͛́c̖͐̀͑̓̏̕t̡̞̜̱͈͖̥̪̍͟͢[/size] 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (the cable type, not the ones that make your DAP 2-3" longer because they just stick on the end of the 1/4" plug), as I've heard those can damage the socket connection on your DAP, and will make my already long Teclast T51 quite cumbersome.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know the Ultrasone had detail
wink.gif

If you actually had listened to most of them instead of just bashing the brand as whole, you would know.
On the topic, the pro900 has a fairly good sound isolation so it will stop much of the noise coming in and out.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks very much for all your replies. With the reduced volume I can get away with they sound like they'll be perfect.

I dearly love my Senns (especially female vocals and acoustic instruments), but there are many times I wish there was more bass. Electric guitar lacks a little life, and although the bass is really tight it is noticeably lacking in volume as it goes deeper. Pro 900s should fix that!!

I wonder, has anyone compared the HD600s and Pro 900s? Haven't found anything in the 2 weeks I've been reading up on them, except that somebody preferred the Pro 900s over HD650s. Anyone had the chance to compare?

Thanks again
Gord

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 17
I like the hd650 more for female vocales, in the long gone before daylight album from the cardigans I find the voice of Nina Persson lacking some warmth when I switch from the hd650 to the pro900. The pro900 does have much more bass quantity and impact though. So I don't think that going from the hd650 to the pro900 would be a complete upgrade for you.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you actually had listened to most of them instead of just bashing the brand as whole, you would know.
On the topic, the pro900 has a fairly good sound isolation so it will stop much of the noise coming in and out.

I second that, as a ED8 owner if we just talk about detail, it much better than K702, Mpro, HD650, DT880 and D5000. Of course they are not in the same price range, but in any sense Ultrasone have detail.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Gordonshowers it do sound like the 900 could work for you if you would like a different perspective... I preferred it for female vocals or accoustics. Not a particular fan of the Hd 650 but they do have some kind of a brother/sister relationship... now I never liked my sister as well
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 17
The plastic earcups do allow sound out at low-medium volume, but if you keep a distance of 3 feet it may be silent enough to not bother your wife. If you look at the hinges of your pro 900, you'll see it has lines going through it with the internal wire going through one side. If you use something like silicon putty (mack's pillow soft silicone earplugs) inside both earcups where the lines enter, you can increase isolation, but only do this if you have the right screw-driver (so you don't void your warranty wink wink).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back