Ultrasone Pro 900 impressions + comparison with Beyerdynamic DT770-80
Nov 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ipumuk

100+ Head-Fier
[size=large]Ultrasone Pro 900 impressions[/size]

I got my new Ultrasone Pro 900 a week ago. They were supposed to complement my Beyerdynamic DT770.

Packaging

The packaging is really nice. They come with their own box, a coiled and a straight cable and an extra earpad with a different colour.

Built Quality

The built quality of the headphones themselves is bad compared to the DT770. If I did not know the headphones I would have guessed their price tag at around 50-100$. It is mostly plastic with a shiny metal plate on the earcups.

Fit

The fit is good. They feel compfy. They do not isolate es much as the dt770s and the dt770 are also a little bit more compfortable. No big difference though.

Soundquality

The soundquality is amazing. I did not expect the upgrade from 200$ to 400$ headphones to be that groundbreaking because of diminishing returns.

When I ordered them I was planing to write a little comparison. But there is nothing to compare soundquality wise. The DT770 can not compete in any category. When I plug in my DT770 now they sound dull and bright at the same time, but without the clarity and detail you expect from bright headphones.

The Pro 900 have more bass impact. If you love bass like I do that is just great.

The mids are more dominant, which I was looking for when searching for new headphones. They are still recessed compared to the low and high frequencies.

The heights are less intrusive. They still bother me sometimes, but I have never heared a headphone that suited me in that regard. I just find them too piercing in some bad recorded tracks.

They do not have a neutral sound signature. I would not recommend them for producing music which they were intended for.

S-Logic

When I let my girlfriend listen to them her first reaction was to mention the soundstage. She A / B tested the 2 headphones a few times and was astonished on how different the impression of the location of the music was. She liked that effect the most about the pro 900.

I am not able to hear this "Natural Surround Sound PLUS" effect. But I guess it works if you have the earshapes needed
wink.gif
- What I can hear though is the very different soundsignature when I put them on inverted. It sounds terrible.

[size=medium]Conclusion[/size]

I can recommend the Ultrasone Pro 900 to everyone who likes bassy and fun headphones. I was expecting something different than the Beyerdynamic DT770 and got something better in any regard considering soundquality. The Pro900 just sound so much more "in your face" than the DT770.

My friend who I did the 30$ IEM comparison with listened to the PRO 900 for a few minutes last time he came by and agreed instantly that they are a whole level above the DT770.

Time to sell the DT770 and look into the Sennheiser HD 650.

P.S. I LOVE BEYERDYNAMIC! It is not fair compare the DT 770 with 440€ headphones, I know! I just did not have another relation. I hope you understand!

img2413u.jpg

img2415f.jpg

img2402.jpg

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 18
Those were EXACTLY my thoughts when I heard my friend's pair....recessed mids and somewhat piercing highs. I guess I am spoiled by my Westones...I feel that the Pro900's have an edge in the soundstage department and bass. And they are anything BUT neutral...a normal U smilie EQ if you may.

Brendan

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they are anything BUT neutral...a normal U smilie EQ if you may.

Brendan

which makes them great for low level listening, similar to the gs-1000i

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 18
Those were not your thoughts exactly. You said the mids were no existant. I have to add that the positioning affects the sound a lot more than other headphones.

edit:

a conversation I had with Brendan on msn after I conflicted his post lol

- brendan - says:
so im conflicting myself
Kevin says:
yea
- brendan - says:
i hate you

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 18
wow! i actually just ordered my ultrasone pro 900's a few days ago as an upgrade from my dt770's. i hadn't read a direct comparison so i wasn't sure how big of a difference it would be. i'm super excited now
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those were EXACTLY my thoughts when I heard my friend's pair....recessed mids and somewhat piercing highs. I guess I am spoiled by my Westones...I feel that the Pro900's have an edge in the soundstage department and bass. And they are anything BUT neutral...a normal U smilie EQ if you may.

Brendan

I found my Pro 900's to be exactly as stated in cyber's description. They are very fun phones nonetheless for the music they are mostly intended for.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yasuda2k7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the music they are mostly intended for.

Er, pardon? I'm not sure if I understand, are Pro 900s speculated to be tuned for a particular type of music?

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 18
No they are about the most universal headphones I ever owned. The boost in low bass can distract sometimes though but they can do everything but crappy recordings
wink.gif

Pro 750 is more neutral. I don´t think Pro 900 is really designed to be it´s bigger brother it´s more of an Ed 9 made in Taiwan with the cheaper shell of the 750 it seems

As long as the source material is good they are solid performers. If it´s not they share the 750s way of making songs pretty unlistenable... Curse of high fidelity gear lol. As for build quality remember industry grade plastics is about as durable as it gets! You can toss them around and be pretty wild and they won´t break. Though DT 770 Pros are well knowned tanks as well

Anyone that either get annoyed by the huge bass boost which cause recessed mids should try KeeS mod them... Their mid range is just magical best part of them.
And as mentioned low volume I get the same effect on these listening at 70 db as others on 80.

I also did the jump but from the DT 770 Pro to Pro 750 and I was so shocked by the difference. I was quite happy with the DT 770 Pros but all sudden they started to distort and what not. There was no comparison other then for comfort and isolation they do slightly better.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 18
Old thread ...I know. How are you getting on with these now that they have burnt in?!

Curious minds want to know!
biggrin.gif

I'm looking at the Senn HD650s; AKG702s or these. Maybe the Shure 840s.

What puts me off these Ultrasones is the tacky build quality mentioned here. I like my headphones indestructible with replaceable parts...

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 18
That is a myth I haven´t heard before. K701 is greatly built definiatly on the same level. HD 650 not so good but okayish. Headband is their weak spot.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 650 not so good [...] Headband is their weak spot.

Yep. Had me a pair some time ago. One day the band just snapped on me. Didn't even bend it. Did love the sound plugged into an old receiver.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 18
I also got a pair about two weeks ago (first full size can) and I am really impressed with their sound, very involving and detailed with great extension in bass and treble and lush mid.
I am surprised some people complain about built quality . They are not pretty but they look pretty solid.
The only annoyance and why I now understand why Ultrasone and more particularely S logic polarize so many people is that the sound is extremly dependent on placement over the ear. I usually spend the first 20 minute moving them around to get the best sound. They can become quite bright or the soundstage just collapse depending on placement. But once i hit the right spot the holographic soundstage is amazing.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 18
Can't wait for my ALO-780 to arrive in a couple of weeks. I was tossing between it and the PRO 900. It seems that if I were to get another ultrasone, it would be the pro 750. The pro 900 seems too expensive to me compared to the 750. The 750 can be had used for around $170 (give or take $20) and the pro 900 for $310 (cheapeast i've seen). If I absolutely love Ultrasone (won't know for at least 2 weeks), then I probably would get the 900, doubt it though. I do wish to try the 900 or 750 one day though, just see the differences between it and the ALO-780 for myself
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope I can get the right 'fit' for them to take advantage of S-Logic. Is it really that difficult, or does it just take a few seconds?

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #14 of 18
The Pro900 is my first full-size headphone after many in-ears.
The sound very depends on their position on my head, but until now i didn't find the right position to hear the s-logic effect. Or perhaps I'm one of the people that can't hear this effect at all.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 18
depends a bit on your ear shape. One of the design goals of S-logic plus is to make more ears compatible. So the 900 is maybe a safer bet just for that reason. Except for the bass boost I do think they do pretty much everything slightly better, at least after KeeS modding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back