Ultrasone Pro 900 FAIL
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 19
obobskivich.  Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have decided to get the Pro 900 for $295 on amazon.  Thank you for your ranking system on the headphones.  I may have bought the 2900 if they were not $250 more than the Pro 900 currently.  I will keep my eye on them to see if or when their price drops.

Yeah that's just kind of bizarre about the 2900 - Ultrasone has variably said their MSRP is $549 or $599 (both the 900 and 2900), but until recently I'd never seen either of them selling at MSRP. Here's a neat trick though: if you get the pads for the 2900 (I know, that's about $50 right there), and put them on the 900 - you'll be about 99.1% of the way to a 2900, and they'll isolation. It'll pull some of the bass out, add some of the mids back, and make the top-end a bit cleaner (basically the difference between the two); the 900 w/2900 pads are still a little bassier, and a little more closed-in sounding (they are closed headphones after all...), but it's a lot cheaper than owning both. I'm curious how the 750 would fit into that - I've not heard them, but I remember Ultrasone stating that the 750 are essentially just "a closed 2500" (the 2500 is what "evolved" into the 2900, when S-LOGIC Plus was brought out). Something tells me they'd probably be a little different, but I'm not absolutely certain on that. :xf_eek:

In regards to your statment: 
   "You will never "feel" the bass from a headphone. My advice would be to integrate the Buttkicker with your headphone system, and get headphones that extend relatively low; the PRO900 and HFI-2400 should both satisfy that imo. Then you'll have tactile feedback + headphones (and the whole sub + headphones or tactile LFE + headphones thing has been done before, if you dig around the computer audio section there's probably some threads about it and hooking it up; or I can explain if you're stuck)."

Reply:  I already have the buttkicker synced with my current headphones and I love it, except that I wish they had better bass.  And what you explained is exactly what I meant when wrote:

Quote: "It made me realize that I want to hear more bass from my headphones to match what I can feel."  (feel from the buttkicker)

That is why I was interested in a great bass headphone that still keeps a decent sound stage.  And the Pro 900 fits that build from reviews. I think I will like them....Its a bummer the 2900 is so expensive right now.  Maybe one day I will be able to hear them and compare them with my Pro 900s.  Can't wait to get them in the mail later today!!

Okay - I gotcha. I think the 900s + tactile LFE will be more bass than any 2 men need, and should therefore be "just right" for explosions and effects in videogames and movies. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back