Ultrasone Pro 900 + E11. Alternatives?
Jan 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dual1ty

New Head-Fier
I bought the Pro 900 and am burning it in whenever I am not listening to it. It has around 40 hours on it right now. It sounds... different than I expected. This is not a review, I am just trying to state what I am thinking. My first and only other headphone I have is the M50, so I am mainly referencing to the M50.
So basically, the bass is not that heavy, without an amp it's even kinda weak, but that's ok, I am using my E11 to power it. (Maybe I am just used to the club speaker sound etc).
Ok the voices do seem kinda distant, like a few ppl have stated, it's like sitting 7 rows away from the stage (it's not as upfront as the M50).
So far so good, I don't mind it, even though the surround technology makes it a lil weird, but I think I can get used to it. What I don't like is the sibilance. Those headphone's are pretty detailed, I was like woahh... Just the sibilance is too much for me. I just hope it calms down after 2-300 hours, that would be good.
Oh yeah, the earcup positioning plays a big role it seems like, putting it a lil further towards my neck makes the high almost intolerable, putting it more towards the front makes the high seem like it's covered under a blanket!?!?

So, I am jsut asking, just in case I end up don't like the 900, what are good alternatives in that pricerange, similar headphone wise?
Before buying the Pro 900, I was thinking about the D5000, but I found out that they are much more expensive, like $450? And even the D2000 costing more than the 900. Is it worth it? I was reading articles doing D2000 vs Pro 900 and D5000 vs Pro 900. Yeah D5000 is probably better but also more expensive. What do you guys think?
I listen to EDM

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 9
Give the Pro 900s time to calm down. The highs were very overpowering for me as well but they've calmed down a great deal and I'm still under 100 hours total but feeding them through my Little Dot MK III vs. my FiiO E10 also made a big difference. Putting them back on the E10 it's not harsh but certainly not as soothing as on the tubes. Setting the gain to high on the E10 seemed to open up the midrange quite a bit and tighten up their response in general which was good.

That said, obvious alternatives are the DT770 and D2000.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 9
Is there too much sibilance for you even on e11's low gain?  I agree, using an e11 helped drive the pro 900 better, definitely appreciate them more after getting the e11.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 9
I see, thanks for the answers, I'll look into the D2000 or D5000 more, if I am not happy.
@ drgnclwk
By E11 low gain, are you saying its high and low gain mode play a role?

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 9
The sibilance on mine definitely toned down with time.

I find that the gain on the e11 brings up the mids a great deal more.

Another thing to consider is a desktop amplification source for home. Higher quality amps bring up the bass punch and details significantly, with tube amps warming the sound somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back