Ultrasone PRO-750, HFI-780, Denon AH-D2000? Grado Fan Needs Closed Cans
Apr 28, 2008 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

cgrums

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

As is usually the case around here the upgraditis bug has hit me pretty hard...again.

Ninety percent of my headphone-based music listening happens at work. There are about 10 people sharing the open space that is the engineering side of my office so closed cans are a must (not only to keep my music in but to keep other people out)

My musical taste leans towards heavier rock (some prog, a lot of industrial and metal of all types) I also listen to a fair bit of electronica and hip-hop. As far as 'house sound' is concerned, I am very much a Grado fan. I started with the SR60's and moved up to the SR225's. I absolutely love the 225's (with flat pads), the treble/mid-range presentation is, IMHO, perfect. However, I sold mine with the intention of buying a pair of RS-2's for home use.

I've also owned the Sennheiser HD-580 and that was definitely not for me.

I've been through a few 'cans for the office so far:

AKG K81DJ: Boomy bass, fairly boring.

Audio Techinca ATH-A900: Very comfortable, I liked the sound signature but they didn't have the bass impact/punch nor the mid-range extension I'm used to.

EA RP-21: These are my current work 'phones. They seem to me to be right in between the K81's and the A900's. The bass is more controlled than the AKG's and the sound is a bit more forward then the A900's but it still isn't 'right'.

So I'm back on the market. I've been reading extensively about the D200, HFI-780 and PRO-750 and I've gotta say I'm having a really difficult time deciding. I've currently got a pair of HFI-780's on order but they're 20-21 days on backorder.

Are the 750's 'better' than the 780's in mid-range presentation and treble extension? My concern with the 750's is the 'hollowed mids' I've read a lot about. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to listen to these before hand.

Given my taste in music and preference of mid-range lushness, treble sparkle and bass impact/speed, which of these are going to come close? Any help would be much appreciated.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 32
If you're a Grado Fan... you can eliminate the D2000s - they sound more like the HD650s (dark and slow), than any Grado.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 32
The HFI-780 seals very good, and sounds good, too -- reasonably close to Grados, but much better bass.
The D2000 is less on the highs, compared with Grados, but much better bass, and well known for their overall good sound quality. But, they do not seal very well, which is why they have a reputation for comfort -- the relatively loose fit for a closed can -- which leaks sound.
Both have good mids -- not recessed at all.
I haven't heard a 750 yet.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 32
I have personal experience with the Grado sound (from a set of SR-60 I've had for 3 years) and the Proline 750 which I have had for 2 months and use almost every day.

The biggest difference to me is the bass presence that the 750 brings forth. It's HUGE compared to a Grado can! Not huge in a boomy way, but meaning both more quantity and more quality together.

Another noticeable difference is that because the 750 is a closed can, it can have the tendency to lack in the soundstage department. And because of the S-Logic technology, the positioning of the can on your head is VERY important. If you get it right, you won't have many soundstage complaints.

I think if you're looking for an exciting closed headphone that is similar to the Grado house sound, you don't have many choices, but the 750 or 780 are good options. I haven't heard the 780, so I couldn't help you decide between them.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 32
Interesting so far...pretty much confirms what I was worried about with the Denons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have personal experience with the Grado sound (from a set of SR-60 I've had for 3 years) and the Proline 750 which I have had for 2 months and use almost every day.

The biggest difference to me is the bass presence that the 750 brings forth. It's HUGE compared to a Grado can! Not huge in a boomy way, but meaning both more quantity and more quality together.

Another noticeable difference is that because the 750 is a closed can, it can have the tendency to lack in the soundstage department. And because of the S-Logic technology, the positioning of the can on your head is VERY important. If you get it right, you won't have many soundstage complaints.

I think if you're looking for an exciting closed headphone that is similar to the Grado house sound, you don't have many choices, but the 750 or 780 are good options. I haven't heard the 780, so I couldn't help you decide between them.

Have you noticed the reported recessed mids with the 750's?

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 32
I have owned RS2's, and the 750's.

I agree with what Denvermax posted, and I will add this:

While the mids are a tad recessed, and the bass can be a bit booming at times, I find them to be the only closed headphone that sounds similar to any grado. They have a lot of impact, speed, and a great treble energy that can really get you into the music. These will work VERY WELL with the music you like.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 32
I haven't heard the D2000 so can't comment on them.
Have heard the 780's and own the 750's. I would advice you to go for the latter imo.
The 780's have boomy, too overpowering bass and highs that, at times, hurt my ears. They do have more forward mids than the 750's but I don't miss them on the 750's.
About the hollow mids..I can't say I've noticed that, on some songs yes, but not on most, so for me I'm guessing that or either my ears suck or it's just part of the recording.

For the type of music your listening the 750's are absolute heaven!

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 32
If you like grados, you will probably like the hfi-780. Plus they are the one of the best truly closed cans I have heard.

Good Luck!

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And because of the S-Logic technology, the positioning of the can on your head is VERY important.

Mind elaborating
smily_headphones1.gif
? I didn't know there was much to headphone placement/positioning...

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 32
Denons don't isolate that well. Last night I did some swapping between Denon 2000 and (brand spankin' new) ATH AD2000.

Let my GF listen for a while and found that amount of sound leaking from Denons was just a little bit less than leak from big, open ATH cans.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 32
called rmc audio this afternoon and switched my order from the 780's to the 750's. The bonus is these are actually in stock and will ship out tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

edit: ignore the emoticon, posted from my phone

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 32
judging by the qualities you're looking for in a headphone, i'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. the pro750s are a great choice.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim0chen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind elaborating
smily_headphones1.gif
? I didn't know there was much to headphone placement/positioning...

don't mean to get too off topic but:
ultrasone places their drivers off-center, called "s-logic technology". so you need to position them specifically to how ultrasone designed it to work (the sound waves must bounce off a certain part of your ear rather than straight into the ear canal).

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 32
I guess youve made your decision, but for what its worth, I was in the same position as you. I chose the 780s, and just love them. I'm actually planning to sell my 225s and just keep these. The mids are forward and very detailed (I think even more than grados), and bass is strong and fun, without being too bloated, and the highs sound a lot like grados imo. But if the 750s are a lot like the 780s with tighter bass, youve made a great choice I think.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 32
I can tell you now that the Denon D2000 is nothing like a Grado, they are completely different. Grados have upfront midrange, whilst the d2000's mid range seem a little recessed because of their bass. Grados have punchy, tight controlled bass whilst the D2000's bass has plenty of weight to it, and I personally find overpowering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back