Ultrasone Pro 550 ............WOW! Pro 900's worth the buy too?
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ntrain96

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, already have a pair of HFI 580's and decided to grab a pair of the Pro versions since I found em new for $125 shipped which was a few bucks cheaper than the 580's I picked up. I am thoroughly impressed. Bass is actually smoother, goes deeper and is very articulate, while the midrange and treble are extremely smooth. A step up in some subtle ways over the 580's without question. THey do everything well, and give me the ability to focus in on any instrument or vocal, no part of the frequency band is overpowering or in your face. If an audio track needs to be bass heavy and was recorded that way, then that is what it gives you, strong midrange? Same thing. Overall extremely impressed. Very FUN set of headphones to listen to, and even with the 64ohm impedance, work great with plenty of volume for my ipod touch. Listening is a pleasure with them.

So the question is I can get a pair of Pro 900's for about $450(If anyone knows where they can be had cheaper let me know! :) )..........are they worth getting? DO they add or subtract anything over the 550's? Really tempted to grab a set now after being blown away by the 550's. But if its only a very subtle upgrade then Ill probably stick with these...........thoughts?

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 21
djdeals.com

339$ right now for the Pro 900.

I had the 580 Pro for a month; I switched to the Pro900 aftertesting them out.

Best move I could've done for my personal taste even at 3 times the 580's pricetag.

Careful with that wallet of yours hehe.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 21

Quote:
Hey folks, already have a pair of HFI 580's and decided to grab a pair of the Pro versions since I found em new for $125 shipped which was a few bucks cheaper than the 580's I picked up. I am thoroughly impressed. Bass is actually smoother, goes deeper and is very articulate, while the midrange and treble are extremely smooth. A step up in some subtle ways over the 580's without question. THey do everything well, and give me the ability to focus in on any instrument or vocal, no part of the frequency band is overpowering or in your face. If an audio track needs to be bass heavy and was recorded that way, then that is what it gives you, strong midrange? Same thing. Overall extremely impressed. Very FUN set of headphones to listen to, and even with the 64ohm impedance, work great with plenty of volume for my ipod touch. Listening is a pleasure with them.

So the question is I can get a pair of Pro 900's for about $450(If anyone knows where they can be had cheaper let me know! :) )..........are they worth getting? DO they add or subtract anything over the 550's? Really tempted to grab a set now after being blown away by the 550's. But if its only a very subtle upgrade then Ill probably stick with these...........thoughts?

Heya,

The PRO550 is actually one of Ultrasone's more tame headphones. Less bass than typical, but controlled and deep, and the highs are tame, even with the typical spike around 10k. It's a radically different headphone from the PRO900. The PRO900 is way more bassy, and I mean way more. The mid-bass of the PRO900 is nearly over powering. It also has even more treble, as they do that to adjust for the massive hump in bass, so it will be more fatiguing. The PRO900 is not a linear do-it-all headphone. It's a mid-bass cannon. Some people love it. I bought one myself. Really after a while I realized it's definitely not good for most music because the mids are recessed in this giant "V" response with all mid-bass and big treble spike (it's not just 10k, it's most of the upper treble that is spiked).

If you like the PRO550, for your budget, I'd suggest you explore a Denon D5000 instead. That headphone will knock you off your socks.

Very best,

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 21
This. Pro 550 has less bass and less treble than HFI580 to my ears. In comparison, pro 750 has similar amount of bass but more bright in the mids and treble.

Quote:
The PRO550 is actually one of Ultrasone's more tame headphones. Less bass than typical, but controlled and deep, and the highs are tame, even with the typical spike around 10k. It's a radically different headphone from the PRO900. The PRO900 is way more bassy, and I mean way more. The mid-bass of the PRO900 is nearly over powering. It also has even more treble, as they do that to adjust for the massive hump in bass, so it will be more fatiguing. The PRO900 is not a linear do-it-all headphone. It's a mid-bass cannon. Some people love it. I bought one myself. Really after a while I realized it's definitely not good for most music because the mids are recessed in this giant "V" response with all mid-bass and big treble spike (it's not just 10k, it's most of the upper treble that is spiked).

If you like the PRO550, for your budget, I'd suggest you explore a Denon D5000 instead. That headphone will knock you off your socks.

Very best,

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
This. Pro 550 has less bass and less treble than HFI580 to my ears. In comparison, pro 750 has similar amount of bass but more bright in the mids and treble.

I feel the opposite actually. The Pro 550's have actually more bass. The low frequency extension is greater and the mid bass is smoother(less hump). SInce there isnt as big a bass bump in the midrange alot more of the detail and articulation of the lower bass extension and midrange comes through alot better. The HFI 580's have that big midbass hit that actually masks the low freqeuncy extension and parts of the lower midrange. I love full range and deep bass, but not at the cost of masking up other frequency ranges, something the HFI does subtly due to the slight midbass emphasis vs. the Pro 550's.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

Yes, I love deep articulate and accurate bass, but not at the cost of masking other frequency ranges. I also absolutely NEED smooth midrange and treble. My ears are overly sensitive to harsh treble and midrange that is too far forward/pronounced. The D5000 looks intriguing, but do they make possibly a slightly cheaper model without the wood cup panels? Something with the same specs, drivers, tuning, minus the wood? Not familiar with the Denon models. But I do want something similiar to the Pro 550's that will be without question an upgrade in SQ. The overall signature of the 550's is near perfect for me. I just want more of it in a closed over ear can. Also, do they make a free app for the ipod touch where I can EQ out the 10k bump?

And last, do you know how many db the 10k hump is, so if I can find an app that allows me to smooth it out, Ill know roughly how many db to knock it down? Anywhere to find a response curve of the 550's with pink noise?

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 21
The pro900's are on the same league as the D7000's imo. 

If considering the pro900's check this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/396267/how-bright-is-an-ultrasone-pro-900/60#post_5248583

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
The pro900's are on the same league as the D7000's imo. 

If considering the pro900's check this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/396267/how-bright-is-an-ultrasone-pro-900/60#post_5248583

They're a *very* different headphone. Personally, I'd very strongly disagree, but personal taste is just that; personal taste. :)

Agreed on the Kees mod, though, a must for the Ultrasones.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 21
See, I love the Pro 550's, and the overall sound signature.......smooth from 20hz-20khz, would like to keep the overall sound signature............just curious if there is something out there that does just that, that might be even better overall.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
They're a *very* different headphone. Personally, I'd very strongly disagree, but personal taste is just that; personal taste. :)

Agreed on the Kees mod, though, a must for the Ultrasones.

It depends on the kind of bass you want, music taste you have. 
tongue.gif

I've read some comparisons and they share some similarities. 
One thing is that ultrasones need lots of burn in, my pro750 had some significant changes after the 200+ hours. Same for the 900's. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

It depends on the kind of bass you want, music taste you have. 
tongue.gif

I've read some comparisons and they share some similarities. 
One thing is that ultrasones need lots of burn in, my pro750 had some significant changes after the 200+ hours. Same for the 900's. 

Ultrasones always have an interesting burn-in. Pros with the titanium drivers especially.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Yes, I love deep articulate and accurate bass, but not at the cost of masking other frequency ranges. I also absolutely NEED smooth midrange and treble. My ears are overly sensitive to harsh treble and midrange that is too far forward/pronounced. The D5000 looks intriguing, but do they make possibly a slightly cheaper model without the wood cup panels? Something with the same specs, drivers, tuning, minus the wood? Not familiar with the Denon models. But I do want something similiar to the Pro 550's that will be without question an upgrade in SQ. The overall signature of the 550's is near perfect for me.

I don't want to turn into that guy going around into different threads bashing a certain headphone, in this case the Denons, I do want to offer a bit of a differing view though since I see them heralded as "the best headphone you can buy" in many threads.  I don't doubt that they are indeed the "perfect" headphone to some people, but after owning mine for a year, I'm thinking those people are looking for something very different than me.  From your brief description in your first sentence of the sound signature you like, it sounds very similar to what I enjoy also.  I have trouble with harsh treble, and I enjoy a very articulate and forceful bass, tight and not overly boomy.  For me I find the Denons, at least the more affordable 2000 model, don't fit that at all.  The bass feels bloated and rumbles over the mids, the highs are far too forward and the treble is occasionally ear piercing.  Overall the sound feels too laid back and not aggressive enough for fast music.

I've been strongly considering the Pro 900's for a while, I've just been trying to get my hands on any model for a test run so I can get an idea of the Ultrasone "sound."

My advice is if you already love the sound of the lower Ultrasone models, I'd definitely aim to work your way up the models.  Just like the fans of the Denon 2k's work up to the 5 and 7k's.  If you enjoy one, I don't see a point in switching to something entirely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back