Ultrasone Pro 2900 VS Hifiman HE-400 VS Denon D5000 - Bassy headphones
Apr 19, 2012 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dngkgk999

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, serious predicament here.

So I've been looking for bassy cans to run my dub-music on (while still being perfectly capable of running other types of music!) I would get after selling my HD-598, and I've narrowed down my list to three cans: the pro 2900s, the HE400s and the D5000s. 

I know the Denons are the perfect cans for me on paper, but right now the problem is I'm trying to avoid a closed can (despite being naturally better bass cans) because I want to avoid feeling isolated when I wear my cans cos when I had the HD-25s it really detracted from my overall enjoyment of the music.

I also did a lot of research on the Pro 2900s, and they seem really ideal for me, but used ones seem pretty hard to find and theres relatively little opinion on this can on this site. 

The HE400s I heard have a great sound too, the issue with this is I just have to get over the excitement I had with the Pro 2900s when I was researching it. Also heard it was pretty uncomfortable which wouldn't be too savvy.

So right now, I'm juggling between the D5000s, Ultrasone Pro 2900s and HE-400s, and many things depend here - whether I would risk buying a semi-closed can despite its isolation factor, whether I could find another PRO 2900 that's decently priced and find more compelling evidence that it's the perfect open solution to the pro 900, or whether I would just opt for the HE-400s despite my initial excitement at the PRO 2900 deal I was planning on and despite the whole comfort issue.

What do you guys think?

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 14
Just know you can't go wrong with the HE-400's sound, especially if you have an affinity for bass-heavy music but at the same time want excelling performance in just about every other music genre.

Comfort-wise, flex the headband a bit and adjust the vertical rotational angle to your head's liking and get used to its 440g weight and you could probably wear it for many hours on end (I have big glasses and couldn't wear em for more than 30 mins at the beginning due to a combination of clamp and weight, but after such adjustments and getting used to it, I can wear it for 10 hours straight if I feel like it, with an occasional adjustment every hour or two).

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 14
That's so tempting... The only personal issue I really have with those is their heaviness/comfort/presentation - the three things that the Pro 2900 should trump it in, but at the same time I've heard so many lavishing praises for the HE-400's sound...

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 14
I would go D5000. They do everything well. The Ultrasones, if S-Logic works for you are nice headphones with great soundstage and impact but the treble can be too high for some and the mids are not hifiman-classy or Denon. Bass is outstanding though. There's nothing better for electronic music than Ultrasones. Durability, built: Ultrasone > Denon > Hifiman.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 14
The only fear I have with Denons is their closed-ness - I can't stress how much I don't want to go back to the days of the HD-25s when I felt super isolated from everyone - even the slightest bit, really. I'd instantly get the Denons if they were exceptionally open (for a closed can) for the isolation to be of negligible difference from an open can...:frowning2:

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
The only fear I have with Denons is their closed-ness - I can't stress how much I don't want to go back to the days of the HD-25s when I felt super isolated from everyone - even the slightest bit, really. I'd instantly get the Denons if they were exceptionally open (for a closed can) for the isolation to be of negligible difference from an open can...:frowning2:

Then don't get closed cans, period. Don't be so indecisive, sure Denon's are a great candidate in terms of sound quality but your brain is already set on getting a pair of open headphones, so go for it and don't look back.

As for the Ultrasones vs Hifimans, either toss a coin or look around for objective pros/cons based reviews of both, and see which one has more traits that you like and less shortcomings that you don't want, and get it. If you end up not liking it, return and get the alternative.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks,

But look, if I wasn't "indecisive", I wouldn't need to create a thread now would I! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Its just that the D5000 reviews are so so full of praise-the-lord worship - I'm human after all

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Thanks,

But look, if I wasn't "indecisive", I wouldn't need to create a thread now would I! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Its just that the D5000 reviews are so so full of praise-the-lord worship - I'm human after all

Every headphone without obvious faults will be praised in exaggerated amounts, that's just the subjectivity of the hobby as a whole.

The most reliable stuff is still comparative pieces, and even those are 99% of the time ridden with subjective preferences.

Take everything with a grain of salt and just you know, try your luck. A lot of headphones have refund warranty, e.g. I think Hifiman has a 30-day money-back warranty on everything it sells except a few dollars of shipping. Take advantage of those and listen to as many of the candidates as you can before making the full plunge, but of course if your first or second planned-to-refund purchases turns out to fit your liking well then just keep it.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 14
What exactly are you trying to prevent when you say you don't want to be isolated from everyone?  For what it's worth, Denons should be considered semi-open because they barely clamp and they have a slot in their frame.  They both leak a good amount and let sound in a good amount.  Nowhere to the extent of an HE-400, though.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 14
Don't forget the Ultrasone has an easily replaceable cable. My blue dragon cable made my Pro900's so much nicer than my D5000's. Much more detailed and the treble isn't tiring at all. I vote u get the 2900.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 14
I was making the exact same decision! I ruled out the Pro 2900 because for their price I would rather have a D5000 or HE400...

Still deciding between a D5000 or HE400 though. If anything, I'll wait until the HE400 becomes available on Amazon because I've got a $400 giftcard for there!

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I was making the exact same decision! I ruled out the Pro 2900 because for their price I would rather have a D5000 or HE400...

Still deciding between a D5000 or HE400 though. If anything, I'll wait until the HE400 becomes available on Amazon because I've got a $400 giftcard for there!

You can't go wrong with either choice, it's down to personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back