Ultrasone owners poll
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
I'm having a hard time listening to my 'normal' cans now, and I'm wondering what others think.

This is a poll for those who own or have owned an Ultrasone S-Logic headphone and therefore have had time to really adjust to the difference. If you've only heard one for 15 minutes at a meet, that doesn't really count.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time listening to my 'normal' cans now, and I'm wondering what others think.

This is a poll for those who own or have owned an Ultrasone S-Logic headphone and therefore have had time to really adjust to the difference. If you've only heard one for 15 minutes at a meet, that doesn't really count.

I think that your poll needed another option. I picked the one of being able to go back and forth and like them equally. But I would have liked the voting option that I can go back and forth, but prefer the Ultrasones. I also think that the "interference" with other cans applies more to the Ultrasone PROlines IME. I have the Edition 9s (and have had 750s) and I find that there is less adjusting either way with the Edition 9s and other cans. My other primary cans are balanced Senn 600s, which can't keep up with my balanced Edition 9s SE or balanced, but they are still enjoyable as a change of pace for me.

But I just checked you profile. I see that besides the Edition 9s you've got the L-3000 and the HE60, not not being able to enjoy those would be a real problem for me. You might see how this plays out over time. Also, rather than switching one headphone and them another right after each other, you might try having just a little break with some random noise (TV external speakers or something). This is a little trick that seemed to work for me at the International meet. I'd listen to one can and take them off and be subjected to the crowd noise (well roar at that meet, our very own variety of pink noise) a bit. Then going to the next headphone didn't seem to have as much carry over from the previous can.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 13
i can get repsect listening to other headphones still. some people are into the extreme accuracy and some people like the spatious innovations the ultrasones have to offer.

i do however stress you stay away from the DJ series, anything under the HFI-700 and anything under the PROLINE-650's

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of those 'leading' polls, I guess. Suppose somebody preferred to listen to S-Logic more than other phones--how would they vote?

I've got it, you work for one of the polling companies the broadcast/newspaper companies use, or a political party, don't you?
wink.gif

???
What are you talking about?

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do however stress you stay away from the DJ series, anything under the HFI-700 and anything under the PROLINE-650's

My HFI-650s take exception with this statement and would argue that their particular S-Logic headstage is closer to that of the Edition 9s than any of the PROlines!
hfi650700gb3.png

These are seriously good cans featuring the same gold-plated driver as the PROline 650 and HFI-2200 ULE, and a real godsend for portable use. But they tend to get lost in the shuffle because they're a bit older than their flashier brethren.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, rather than switching one headphone and them another right after each other, you might try having just a little break with some random noise (TV external speakers or something).

I do have much less of a problem if I listen to the L3000's without listening to the Edition 9 that day. But if I still prefer the Edition 9, what's the point? I'm still trying to decide if I like almost everything better or if there are certain songs\albums that still sound better with one can over the other. (e.g. I preferred The Who's Live at Leeds on the 325i, but preferred Who's Next on the L3000, and I preferred Rush on the DB 770 over the other cans.) So far I haven't found much I prefer over the Edition 9's. Admittedly it's not all due to the S-Logic, but the soundstage of the other cans sure seems weird after listening to the Ultrasones.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 13
I consider the UE9s hypnotic. They are almost addictive in how they sound.

They make the music as close to real as I have heard even from speakers.

I made a comparison between my ATH-W5000s and my UE9s with a bit of detail if you go to the big Ultrasone thread and check out page 177. I really have enjoyed the W5000s and still do but the UE9s have something more across the board compared with the W5000s.

I still use my ATH-ANC7s at work and they sound very good for a portable rig.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't want anything more from a headphone than what the UE9 gives me. I don't like listening to other cans, my friends 880, 990 or my HHF-1. UE9 just sounds right. I miss the staging and imaging with other cans, among other things like clarity and impact.

I'm even thinking of selling the HHF-1 in my Av now...

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #12 of 13
I haven't heard anything nicer to my ears so far wich I would prefer over my Proline 750 (duhh the ed 9 yeah
wink.gif
) so I only listen to Ultrasone. Don't know if that is just because of the S-Logic though. It'll be the overall soundsig that appeals to me wich I haven't found in another hp. I didn't vote cause my answer wasn't in there.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 13
I listen to my Proline 750s at night when I can't listen to my arsenal of open cans (GS1000, HD650, AKG750) due to sound leakage. I can easily go between the Ultrasone and my other cans, although I do hear a difference with my amp's crossfeed circuit on: I turn the crossfeed circuit off when using my Ultrasones.

That being said, I still prefer the sound provided by any of my other open cans over the Ultrasone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back