Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Oct 6, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #31 of 541
There is no doubt that the Signature series is more upmarket - it is more solidly built and uses more premium materials but the comfort of the Performance series is very good and they are lighter and more spacious than the Signatures or the HFI series for that matter. For those who definitely want the best the Signature series is still the way to go but in their price range, the performance series is going to give a lot of other brands a good run for their money.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #32 of 541
Seems very promising
popcorn.gif

I've updates the first post and put a link to Bookaboo first impressions.  

I've mailed the French Ultrasone distributor this morning. I hope to have the full Performance Family at home at the end of october. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #34 of 541
  Seems very promising
popcorn.gif

I've updates the first post and put a link to Bookaboo first impressions.  

I've mailed the French Ultrasone distributor this morning. I hope to have the full Performance Family at home at the end of october. 
beerchug.gif

Excited to hear your impressions once you have them! 

@bookaboo - Do the 880's sound at all like the Pro 900, considering they both have the titanium based drivers, are closed headphones, an even similar price point?

The 840's are marketed on their website as the one for club music, Were you able to try them with any electronic music?

Thanks guys!

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #35 of 541
The 880s were a lot more balanced than the pro900 more along the lines of the pro2900 or sig pro but with less detailed mides. The highs had that slight metallic edge like all the titanium driver models but they were fresh out of the box so I suspect they would calm down a little after they loosen up. The 840 is the bass head can for sure. Very enjoyable kick to the bass. Smooth, mids not too recessed and highs very smooth. They will make a lot of bass heads very happy. I listened to some Paloma Faith tracks which have some kicking bass on them and they didn't disappoint.

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #36 of 541
Will keep an eye on 840 for some1 who enjoyed Signature DJ's bass but thought the highs were slightly too forward / mids slightly too recessed. That "kick" in the bass is what I'm looking for, not so much rumble. I like smooth grain-free highs, shouldn't be veiled either but yea hate peaks and strident highs with a passion, something that is just on the edge of having slight amount sparkle with certain records/brighter records but not too much so that it works great with anything.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #38 of 541
The 880s were a lot more balanced than the pro900 more along the lines of the pro2900 or sig pro but with less detailed mides. The highs had that slight metallic edge like all the titanium driver models but they were fresh out of the box so I suspect they would calm down a little after they loosen up. The 840 is the bass head can for sure. Very enjoyable kick to the bass. Smooth, mids not too recessed and highs very smooth. They will make a lot of bass heads very happy. I listened to some Paloma Faith tracks which have some kicking bass on them and they didn't disappoint.

That's always the dang problem with all the ultrasone models. That's one of the main reason keeping them from "true world class cans" and keeping them in the "really good headphones" category. I love my pro900s, but they definitely do not sound as natural and realistic in the highs as say the HE-6 or LCD3 

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #39 of 541
  That's always the dang problem with all the ultrasone models. That's one of the main reason keeping them from "true world class cans" and keeping them in the "really good headphones" category. I love my pro900s, but they definitely do not sound as natural and realistic in the highs as say the HE-6 or LCD3 

I almost bought a pair of used pro 2900's off of ebay for $180. The "slight metallic edge" factor that I read about in various places kept me from doing it. Wish I had though! Oh well.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #40 of 541
^ Did it end this last Friday? 

I saw one sell on Ebay for $210 on Friday. I was like holy crap, how? Would've bid, but I have too much gear right now.

Gotta have some restraint at some point.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #41 of 541
The Sig Pro has titanium drivers and does not sound metallic at all.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #42 of 541
@pietcux 

I think with the titanium drivers, burn in matters. Probably no metallic sound to your sig pro since you put enough hours on them by now.

When you first bought it, did you notice it was harsher up in the treble? I *think* my Pro 900 has smoothed out over the years since first had it, although it is hard to say without direct comparison to when they were new.

Nevertheless, I happen to like some metallic edge, it works well for the type of glitchy EDM music that I like.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #43 of 541
Ok, I bought mine used from Ebay. And they were well used, I had to buy new pads early this year.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #44 of 541

Yes, that metallic edge is Ultrasones trademark identifier, I think. Luckily, it doesn't bother me but I totally understand your feeling after trying many of their models.

Their 2900 sounded particularly metallic to me, which was why I sold it. More so than their 2500, which I preferred in direct comparison. I'm not sure if it needed more burn-in or if it was just the headphone itself.

I'm guessing it's just a particular characteristic of titanium/ titanium plated drivers.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #45 of 541
Metallic highs = eeeeew 

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80, hated that headphone for that specific reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back