Ultrasone lost their massive bass... due to burn in?
Jun 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

eobet

100+ Head-Fier
I got a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 a while back, and was first taken aback by their absolutely ridiculous amounts of bass.

However, after listening for a while, I found that the bass wasn't muddy, distorted or anything. There was just a hell of a lot of it, and I grew accustomed to it (switched to listening almost exclusively to electronic music as well).

But after owning the pair for a few months now, the bass has faded. It's not at all as strong anymore, and with that, the "fun factor" of these headphones is gone, and I'm no longer sure what they're good for (I have a pair of D2000 and Triple.fi as well).

Crazy to complain that the most bass-heavy headphones on the market aren't bass-heavy enough, right? :)

I don't know if this is actual burn-in, or just psychological burn-in, but I'm actually currently rather disappointed. Does this mean I have to buy a new pair of Pro 900 every three months? I wonder if I should buy one new pair to double check and see if they really are stronger (or if it is all in my head)...

Other than that, an equalizer is the only solution, I guess?

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 23
I'm sure you've just got 'used' to the sound signature, try switching to another headphone and see if the bass compares. There's no way burn-in would change the sound of a phone that much. Tyll's recent/current work should give evidence, unless that is, Ultrasone's do in fact show a noteworthy burn-in.

Regards, Tom.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 23
I have read things about the Pro 900 losing a lot of its initial bass response after its burn-in... I don't know how much, though.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 23
Get yourself a cheap second-hand pair of Grado SR60 and listen to that exclusively for a day. 
wink_face.gif
  My other pair of cans is the SR225i, which I took a while to appreciate, but when I listen to those for a while, switching back is kind of a shock. The Pro 900 is for me the best and most perfect headphone but it takes me around 20 mn to readjust to the bass and soundstage presentation. In fact I can understand people who tried those and claimed they are the worst headphone they have heard. Thank god! I know how good they really sound once you brain adjusted.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 23
probably both.  you got used to the sound and they also relaxed a little with burn in.  i can remember that my D5000 sounded very muddy in the first few hours,but after that the bass relaxed and became more listenable.     but i also agree that thet difference made by burn in could not change the sound entirely,removing all the bass.  it can just tighten it up by some degree but not more.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 23
Nah I had a pair of pro 750 and their bass was not as good, but defintely somewhere close to my D7000... which is not light at all... and the pro 900 supposedly have a pair bit more. It is definitely not basslight. I think it just has to do with you getting very comfortable with their sound, which is not necessarily a bad thing. When the sound of a headphone no longer sticks out at you, that is when you truly start to appreciate it and enjoy it and the music it makes.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Does an upgrade to the Pro 900 (in terms of bass) exist?

Amp is on the way, btw...

depending on which kind of bass you want the D7000 goes lower and resembles a nice sub, pro 900 punch harder but still go fairly low.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Does an upgrade to the Pro 900 (in terms of bass) exist?

Amp is on the way, btw...

The Pro 900 is supposably the bassiest Ultrasone headphone. I owned the HFI-780 for a period of time and also found the bass disappearing at times, I wonder if this is something to do with burn-in or perhaps the s-logic; notice how bass-light the 780 appears on HeadRooms FR graphs. Whenever I was in need of bass I put on some Trentemøller and it came right back!

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
depending on which kind of bass you want the D7000 goes lower and resembles a nice sub, pro 900 punch harder but still go fairly low.

Hmm... I've never described bass as having "punch" in my entire life, but overall, I'd say that the Pro 900 has the least amount of punch that I've ever heard in a high-end audio equipment. I also have a pair of D2000 with J$ pads, and they are extremely punchy and in your face, but very, very lacking in the bass area. I also think the build quality sucks on the Denons.

Any other recommendations? Anyone ever compared the DX1000 against the Pro 900 when it comes to bass, for example?

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Hmm... I've never described bass as having "punch" in my entire life, but overall, I'd say that the Pro 900 has the least amount of punch that I've ever heard in a high-end audio equipment. I also have a pair of D2000 with J$ pads, and they are extremely punchy and in your face, but very, very lacking in the bass area. I also think the build quality sucks on the Denons.

Any other recommendations? Anyone ever compared the DX1000 against the Pro 900 when it comes to bass, for example?

Build quality does indeed suck on the Denons. There was a comparison of the D7000 vs the Pro 900 done here on head-fi you might wanna check it out. 

What are using as an amp? My pro 750 didn't change too much with an amp, but my D7000 improved significantly in the bass area with an amp. 

I do think however, that for what you may gain or lose, it isn't really worth considering another headphone for bass alone if you are happy with your pro 900. 

D7000 does sub bass, like under 60hz much better than my pro 750 did, but pro 750 were a fair bit better than my other headphones. The ultrasones have big midbass bumps, which the denons do not. They have a flatter presentation, and a bump around 20hz. Again, you gotta amp them to get it out of them.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 23
Brain "burn in"...
basshead.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 23
Brain in might explain it, I found the stock D5000 hopelessly heavy in the low end when I first got it but only muddy after like 40 hours of listening
biggrin.gif
Of course the Icon HP out is a meh amp, yet I'm poor but won't settle for anything less than a good do it all amp so still saving up... Plus all your headphones are bassy, there's no 'contrast' headphone, no sorbet to cleanse the palate, the more pepper and chili you eat the less spicy that last curry feels... To be frank stop obsessing about more bass and start enjoying the music. Or maybe you need a speaker setup
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back