Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Apr 20, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #361 of 477
They do sound better the longer you have them
biggrin.gif

I guess they are settled down now but they still amaze me when I am hearing them. I guess because I have so much music and I listen to music I had not heard with these for the first time and just dig it so much.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #362 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
biggrin.gif

x3... I figured the liquidation of my ALO-780s would help with a situation (with the intent of repurchase), but I just bit the bullet and dealt with it via another route. And I'm glad I did, I enjoy these phones tremendously, they are my funtime closed cans when I want to enjoy late night listening! For me the price was worth it!

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #363 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I'm trying to argue that point... But, I wish people would stop referring to this mod as though it's a SIMPLE recable like someone is slapping a coat hanger to the transducers and calling it a day... The mod consists of more than simply just 'recabling'... which means it does transform the phones, whether or not it transforms it into something that can compete with certain "higher tier" cans, depends on what the user is looking for and what they're comparing it to.

I'm speaking from my own personal experience with the modded 780s and having used a number of cans from the low-fi to high-fi range.

So theres more to the mod? Like?

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #364 of 477
From the website
Quote:

The modification consists of internal dampening and structural vibration control. Then we re cable the headphone directly to each cup using the ultimate in audio wire (6 foot cable length), The JeneLabs Ultra Wire.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #365 of 477
Well it's been 300hrs heavy burn it ...Last PM sat down with them for a substantial listening session .... Very impressed tonal balance is excellent, soundsatge has good depth not to overwhelming ...highs are very fluent, precise...The bass speaks for itself the interior dampening is the secret, after the burn the boominess has totally dissapated itself and is demanding when called upon very impressed!!ther was a bit of microphonics to deal with but i do not use them as portable headphones so it's really not an issue for me...After several hours of listening almost no fatigue!! But the headphones were a bit clamped on my head at times I would remove them and replace to change the position ...Overall I must applaud Ken on the fine job he has done im very happy with them and find them to be a wonderful investment....Enjoy all.....

Marc

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #366 of 477
does Ken offer the 780J's in a less microphonic sleeve?

(or maybe an additional sleeve that goes over?)

I will walk with them a lot.

I want the cable extra strength and ultra durable, I don't mind paying extra for anything he can come up with.
smily_headphones1.gif

( this was my 100th post... in 3 years.. wow I lurk too much)

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #367 of 477
Talk to Ken about it in an email. He would be best to discuss this issue. I really don't think the 780 is one to walk with myself but you may be able to deal with it.

May 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #368 of 477
I have compared my 780V with the 780J during the last week-end and the description of Larry was very accurate, the 780J are more smooth, more powerful and full bodied.

It's incredible to see that just a cable can make a big difference.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I GOT THE 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire ALO-780 in TODAY.That brings me to the 780's with 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire: Wow! I just got these today and they have come even closer to the vaulted Edition 9 sound than the 20G Vampire Wire version. If the stock PL2500 are 70% of the Edition 9 (less bass and body, distant mids, sharper highs), the stock HFI780 are 80% of the Edition 9 (more forward with strong bass), the 20G Vampire 780 are 90% of the Edition 9 (more transparent and deep, less highs), then the 18G JL cryowire is 95% of the Edition 9 sound (more smooth and powerful and full bodied).
[/B]

Larry

May 6, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #369 of 477
I have just purchsed a Headamp Pico/w USB DAC and a pair of ALO modified HFI-780's with the 18G JenaLabs Cryo Wire and is terminated with a Furutech 1/4" Plug, waiting on delivery.

I am going to be using the Pico mainly from the DAC via the USB on my PC and wondered what sort of SQ with the modified HFI-780's I might get.

If anyone has the same combo I would really appreciate your thoughts.

May 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #370 of 477
If anyone caught my posts in the HFI-780 thread, you know I really don't like this headphone at all, and the one I heard already had a minimum of 100 hrs on it, and if the first owners reports were true, it had more than 200. I listened to Ken's recabled pair at CanJam this weekend, and although, the 780s aren't for me, I will admit that his mods corrected the shrilly highs, and took out some of the graininess: much smoother, more balanced presentation. I think these are either a love 'em or hate 'em type of can, but if you're in the love 'em camp, I think Ken did an impressive job making significant improvements. Had to say it.

BTW, Ken is a really nice guy. Had to add that in as well.

May 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #371 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone caught my posts in the HFI-780 thread, you know I really don't like this headphone at all, and the one I heard already had a minimum of 100 hrs on it, and if the first owners reports were true, it had more than 200. I listened to Ken's recabled pair at CanJam this weekend, and although, the 780s aren't for me, I will admit that his mods corrected the shrilly highs, and took out some of the graininess: much smoother, more balanced presentation. I think these are either a love 'em or hate 'em type of can, but if you're in the love 'em camp, I think Ken did an impressive job making significant improvements. Had to say it.

BTW, Ken is a really nice guy. Had to add that in as well.

Wow, Vicki... coming from you, this is truly a compliment... There may be hope for you, yet.
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #372 of 477
Unfortunately I don't know how they will sound with the Pico but I can tell you that they sound really good with the Predator and the Corda 2Move/Headsix.

BTW, these headphones are very good with Pink Floyd
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just purchsed a Headamp Pico/w USB DAC and a pair of ALO modified HFI-780's with the 18G JenaLabs Cryo Wire and is terminated with a Furutech 1/4" Plug, waiting on delivery.

I am going to be using the Pico mainly from the DAC via the USB on my PC and wondered what sort of SQ with the modified HFI-780's I might get.

If anyone has the same combo I would really appreciate your thoughts.

May 7, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #373 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, Vicki... coming from you, this is truly a compliment... There may be hope for you, yet.
wink.gif

Gee thanks.

May 18, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #374 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tell people, like I told Jamato8 in PM, to get the Edition 9 if one can afford them, but if money is an issue the 18G JL Cryo 780 is a great alternative.

Like I said, the modded 780 don't replace the Edition 9, they compliment them. So the Edition 9 stay, but get used less. My re-cabled RS-2 and HF-1 sound close to the HP-1000, but I can't seem to bring myself to sell those HP-2 either
very_evil_smiley.gif

At one point I considered selling them to buy a Zana Deux, but that's like selling the needle to buy the thread.

Firstly, I've gone through the thread and read a bunch of great "summarized reviews" you and the other guys took the time to write in this thread, and I thank you all.

My question is [drumroll] "how much better would the Edition 9's" sound if they got recabled, compared to stock. I'm right now considering the GS1000(pick #2)/Ed9 (pick #1)/Omega 2(this to a much lesser degree and pick #3) for my portable rig. I actually erected a thread asking a best-all-around headphone a week or so ago, and after lots of reading Ed 9 seems to be the king of price/SQ/enjoyment.

May 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #375 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, I've gone through the thread and read a bunch of great "summarized reviews" you and the other guys took the time to write in this thread, and I thank you all.

My question is [drumroll] "how much better would the Edition 9's" sound if they got recabled, by say, Moon Audio's Black Dragon; compared to stock. I'm right now considering the GS1000(pick #2)/Ed9 (pick #1)/Omega 2(this to a much lesser degree and pick #3) for my portable rig. I actually erected a thread asking a best-all-around headphone a week or so ago, and after lots of reading Ed 9 seems to be the king of price/SQ/enjoyment.

Black Dragon?
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

I think this whole thread had been pretty good and documenting the difference between the mod and recable ALO is doing, this applies to th eE9 as well. All the re cabled E9s I have (ALO Cryo wire) vs stock are markedly better all the way around. I am sure Drew's stuff is also very good though.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back