Ultrasone hfi-780s and the jvc ha-rx700
Aug 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

specto

100+ Head-Fier
So, I bought both of these headphones thinking that the jvcs would be good to use at work since they're not as expensive and I won't mind hauling them around. I also bought the HFI-780s for some higher end sound at home. Well to make a short story shorter, I feel like the sound of the ultrasones are kind of tinny. The sound does not sound realistic to me as the highs are entirely too harsh. I do like the bass on the ultrasones, but it seems to be hit or miss. On some tracks the bass amazes me, on others the ultrasones seem to muzzle the bass and the tone doesn't sound quite right.

On the other hand I have found the jvcs to be quite a good headphone. They have very decent bass, which seems to be better over time (and I didn't want to believe in burn in), the mids are pronounced, and the highs are decent although they could probably be a bit better. But omg, for the $30 dollars I spent on them....

So my question is, do the HFI-780s change in sound at all or should I just keep looking for "the" pair of headphones that will suit me. I enjoy pronounced tight bass (I like a lot of dnb such as pendulum, and techno such as Benny Bennasi), and I was thinking about trying out the dt770s, but there are a whole lot of posts saying the bass is overbearing and muffles the mids and highs. So any suggestions. I am thinking about spending a bit more this time around so we will see.

Thanks for your time!

edit: Did I mention that the HFI-780s made my head feel like bricks were laying on top of it after wearing it for even short periods of time.... The velour pads help, but I don't like the sound change.

--specto

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 44
What can't handle 12 oz. on your head? If you mean there's too much clamp force on the sides of your head you can adjust it until it is comfortable. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2821957-post2902.html

The highs and lows definitely mellow out over time, but I've heard people say recable is the best way to fix it. It shouldn't cost too much to recable if you buy mogami cable and DIY, might be worth a try because ultrasone cables have a bad rap. Your "hit or miss" comment on bass completely jives with what I think of the pro 900 and stock cable, after recabling the bass is a lot more accurate.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 44
The HFI 780's do take along time to burn in. General opinions are 300+ hours are needed.
I love mine a hell of alot more than my HD650+silver dradon v2 cable although mine are recabled as well.
My advice is give them time before you decide.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can't handle 12 oz. on your head? If you mean there's too much clamp force on the sides of your head you can adjust it until it is comfortable.

Ya, it's not the clamping, I couldn't stand the earpads because I felt like my ears were boiling in no time, and my head must be huge because the headband foam piece makes it feel like something is cutting into my head! Some people put foam on it, but that looks horrible, and you have to rip off the old stuff, something I'm not too fond of doing. I might do the cable mod with some mogami though... mini starquad with no sleeving. I'm afraid to do it though without a step to step to make sure I'm doing it right.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 44
i loved the sound of the hfi-780. sold it because of the fit, just couldnt get comfortable

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i loved the sound of the hfi-780. sold it because of the fit, just couldnt get comfortable

I'm afraid I might be in the same boat. I am hoping the foam on the headband will soften over time....

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 44
I have the HFI-680 and recently sold the HA-RX700. I like the sound of the 680 a lot more. Bass was pretty good on both. I didn't like the midrange of the RX700. Found it to be a bit dry, "honky", with a little plastic hollowness compared to all my other headphones. I find the midrange to be balanced on the 680, but not quite as forward. I also find the treble of the 680 to be detailed yet smooth in music listening tests.

People say the HFI-780 has more aggressive treble detail and hyped bass compared to the HFI-680. This is supposed to be by design and a lot of people love it. Maybe it's not for you. Perhaps the HFi-680 would be a better fit for you. On the other hand, if you think the comfort will be a deal breaker, it may be best just to move on to something else.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 44
Well, I am really just unsure, I still don't have a job as I have mentioned on other posts, and it's frustrating because I don't know of a place near where I live that I can audition some headphones. So seeing as I have little money, I would have to get rid of the hfi-780s to buy another pair to see if I like something else. I really like good bass though, and from what I understand you simply do not get the deep bass from many headphones. The hfi780s and beyerdynamics dt770s own that reputation. Maybe I am investing my money in the wrong place? Perhaps I should invest in a good amp.

I would like to use a diy amp, but I am just getting into this and I am already having problems with both of my first builds so I have to learn from those mistakes first before I get into the big stuff.

Well if anyone has any other headphone/amp/whatever suggestions and I am quite open to hearing them. I have throughly enjoyed spending hours on these forums. There seems to be some comradeship amongst the posters which makes me feel at home.

Oh and if you happen to live in the sykesville/baltimore/silver spring area of MD, and you have some decent cans, I would love to meet up just so I can hear something as high end as some individuals speak of.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 44
The ultrasones have a nice detailed sound. Unfortunately, I find them extremely uncomfortable as well after the first 15-20 minutes. I have severe ache on the top of my head, where the center of the headband sits. The outer parts of my ears start hurting, and the pads start getting warm. They dont work well with glasses as well pressing on them a bit too much. Once I managed to use them for an hour and then just for kicks I switched to the Beyer DT770, wow what a world of difference, it was like someone was gently massaging my ears and head with soft pillows.

For this reason alone, I dont use the 680's a lot nowadays.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 44
I like the 780s a lot, they have that slight forward midbass boost, as well as a very nice and quirky highs boost which pulls out details and puts emphasis on the general texture of sound, "creaky" sounds come very well out.

I see what you mean about the "tinny" sound, they aren't that good for fidelity I think, but they do electronic music very very well and make it feel very alive. "Silver" is a nice way to describe their highs - artificial in a very elegant way.

With the 780s I got back a few favorite tracks that I stopped liking with headphones that have less "drive". But again, they were all electronica tracks.

I personally think the whole recable business is BS, I think the damping part of the ALO mod is what does most of the work. I don't know what the diode board removal does, but I doubt it is much compared to actually modifying the acoustics in a closed set of cans.

I also have the DT150s which are great bassy cans with a much more laidback and natural top register, I can strongly recommend them (find some threads about them).

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 44
I haven't worn my ultrasones since yesterday morning, but I still feel pain on the top of my head, this is not normal..
eek.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 44
I wear ultrasones for 5+ hours a day every day and have no problems. Are you sure it's just the weight that bothers you, because the ha-rx700 weighs as much as the hfi-780. I think maybe you don't have the vertical adjustment right, lengthen it so that each earcup applies pressure equally in its entire circumference around your ears. This 3-way distribution of weight should feel equal on all three points, ie not more pressure on the sides than on top, and not more pressure on top than on the sides. If you are wearing them correctly and can't handle the weight you would be much happier with portable headphones.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 44
It's the tiny thin padding they have for the headband. It is just a sticker so you can peel it off and set it aside for latter if you want to reuse. Find a foam of the same density or higher and cut it the full length of the headband. That will distribute the load to a larger area and not just one small spot on top of your head. That fix the headaches for me.

As for the treble, it goes down with time and the Mogami cable but the tinny signature is still there with some music.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 44
I have the same two headphones, I find that the 780 needs a desktop amp and excels with a good DAC, they are somewhat empty and lifeless without this combination. The RX700 is much more forgiving, doesn't need amping and sound great after a couple of mods. regarding your head pain issues, I had this at first with the Ultrasones.. I simply extended either side a little more that usual and sat them further back on my head.. now I can wear them all day long.

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 44
you recommended them to me Graphicism :p. I do like them a lot, there's just something about them that makes them feel like fake sound or something, I don't know how to describe it. I will be using the bantam dac once I build it (after I get better at diy). I really love my dnb stuff, so I really need bass with lots of impact and general oomph. I am building a cmoy desktop amp right now, and it should easily be able to drive the ultrasones, but maybe i should look at something else. Honestly, my cmoybb should easily be able to drive these, although I usually end up turning off the bass boost. I am going to make that variable one of these days....

Can anyone suggest a good desktop diy amp that pairs well with the ultrasone hfi-780s? I want diy because I have the bug, and I really think you can get your best bang for buck from that side of the world
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and listen to the yoshida brothers if you have headphones with a good soundstage, it's really amazing the sounds that come out of the headphones.

What about these new shures that everyone seems to be raving about, is this just a fad or do they really live up to the hype. Some say they have better bass than the dt880s and even the dt770s.

Oh and another random thing, I used to like the whimsical voice of people like the artist Frou Frou... but after listening to them on some of these higher end headphones they sound like smokers, though Norah Jones still sounds amazing.

Also, how do you stop carpal tunnel when you work on computers all day long... My wrists hurt
frown.gif

And another thing, how come listening to music on better earphones than my old iems makes me enjoy other genres that I never liked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back