Ultrasone HFI 780 VS. Ultrasone 750 Pro VS. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Nov 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
I would like to get the 80 ohm version...

But for some reason the 250 ohm is less expensive for about $20...I'm looking at Amazon.  I can't find a cheaper place. 

Can the 250 ohm version work well without an amp?

What do you mean by "work well"?

They'll play music and sound very nice, but they won't operate at their full potential.

Still, though, you can buy the phones now and enjoy them - and buy an amp when you wish.

Even a $50-$50 amp (Fiio, JDS Labs CMoy, etc) will greatly improve the sound -
and they will sound great (still will depend on your source material i.e. low bitrate
files are out).  I say go for the 250 ohm before the price goes up.
(I've had a pair for about two years and they're still among my top headphones.) 

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
I would like to get the 80 ohm version...
But for some reason the 250 ohm is less expensive for about $20...I'm looking at Amazon.  I can't find a cheaper place. 
Can the 250 ohm version work well without an amp?

The 250-Ohms would work, but at a really low volume, to the point were they are not really worth using.
Have you tried eBay?

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #18 of 19
Right now (as in March 2012) Beyer is putting out a limited edition DT-770 in 32 Ohm. That might be the ideal choice for Ipods/mp3 players etc. The price however will be approx. 250 USD.

:)

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #19 of 19
I have the Beyer DT770 Pro 80s, and they play OK straight out of an iPad.
It's a closed back phone so ambient noise shouldn't be too much of an issue, but some folks might want more sound pressure given a nosiy background (i.e. airplane or bus).

The DT770 250 will produce even less sound pressure straight out of your iPod.
I'm not sure the 250s are truly a viable option unless you opt for an amp.

I have the Ultrasone Pro 900s (not the 750s) but the Ultrasones are louder than the Beyers driven by an iPad.

I consider the Beyers and Ultrasones to be about equal for comfort, but the ear-cups on the Beyers are just slightly larger.
However, I'm not crazy about the snap-on leatherette headband on the Beyers - looks just a tad cheezy to me.

Some of the things to like about the Ultrasone Pro are that they come with their own hard case containing two sets of cables(coiled and straight), two sets of earpads(black and grey velour), and they fold flat for portability.
Also, the Ultrasone's have a headphone cable that screws on-and-off for easy replacement.

Truth be told, you can't go wrong either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back