Ultrasone HFI-780 vs. Pro 750
Nov 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

QU0TE

Head-Fier
How big of a quality difference is there between the two? I'm wondering if I should get the 780s cause they're more in my range but if the extra 100 bucks would go pretty far I may go for the 750s. What are your guys' thoughts?

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 22
Never heard the 780 but I have the 750 and my impressions of it are that they have deep and impactful bass, quite well extended and sparkly treble. However, I feel that it's midrange is a bit hollow and distant sounding and as a result vocals sound pretty hollow.

It's excellent for EDM style of music but not the best in it's price range for vocally oriented music like rock.

Overall clarity is quite good, I would put it's clarity on par with the popular DT880, HD600, MS2i and HFI-2400.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 22
I used to own the HFI-780. The HFI line is more "fun sounding" than the PRO line. The HFI-780 is very V-shaped, but compared to the "lower" models is has less bass impact, but more bass detail. So it's a bassy headphone, but not in the "one note bass drone Beats by Dre" kind of way. 

The HFI-780 shine with fast electronic music (trance etc.) and are also very very nice for watching movies.

Sonically there isn't too much of a difference between the two though. The PRO-750 do however have different ear padding and a carrying case.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 22
Apparently the HFI-780 are 1 tier lower than the HFI-2400 in the "HFI" line-up. If that is anything to go by I have the HFI-2400 and I feel that the Pro 750 is a better headphone overall.

Also you get an awesome carrying case with the PRO 750, with two sets of cables and two pairs of velour earpads. The HFI-2400 came with only one cable, one set of earpads and a a basic fabric carrying case. I assume the 780 has the same accessories as the 2400 so that extra $100 for the Pro 750 gets you some extra accessories as well. Sorry, I'm just being confusing now.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Curiously, the HFI-2400 has the first generation S-Logic while the HFI-780 has the second generation S-Logic Plus, which was only made available for the newer HFI series and the higher end Pro series.

The HFI-780 has a single non removable cable while the HFI-2400 has two removable cables, being the only HFI series model with removable cables. Not sure on the pads, though, but only the Pro series come with the carrying case, the HFI series comes with a velvet bag.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
Curiously, the HFI-2400 has the first generation S-Logic while the HFI-780 has the second generation S-Logic Plus, which was only made available for the newer HFI series and the higher end Pro series.

The HFI-780 has a single non removable cable while the HFI-2400 has two removable cables, being the only HFI series model with removable cables. Not sure on the pads, though, but only the Pro series come with the carrying case, the HFI series comes with a velvet bag.

Yep. HFI-780 come with  non-removable cable. The standard cable is ~120cm, and a 300cm extension cable is included (very nice for people who also use them portable). No extra pads; just the pleather pads that are already fitted. And a velvet bag.

The earpads are not really comfortable. They are big enough but not really soft.

I used the HFI-780 for two years and was very happy with them though; a "pro" fun headphone with a great soundstage.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 22
"S-Logic" feels like gimmick to me. All three Ultrasones I own have the midrange quite distant and hollow sounding to make the soundstage appear to sound wide. At least they don't sound closed in though but their soundstage has nothing on open cans. Personally I would go for the Pro 750 on the basis of removable cables and much much better earpads alone, but the Pro 750 always sounded better to me than any HFI I have tried/own. It's a v-shaped sound signature, if you like that then you will love the Pro-750.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
"S-Logic" feels like gimmick to me. All three Ultrasones I own have the midrange quite distant and hollow sounding to make the soundstage appear to sound wide. At least they don't sound closed in though but their soundstage has nothing on open cans. Personally I would go for the Pro 750 on the basis of removable cables and much much better earpads alone, but the Pro 750 always sounded better to me than any HFI I have tried/own. It's a v-shaped sound signature, if you like that then you will love the Pro-750.

You can feel whatever you want. The fact is that S-Logic is one feature that makes Ultrasone headphones so polarizing, people either love or hate them, there isn't much middleground.

QU0TE, are you looking for closed or open headphones?

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 22
The HFI 780 were my first real headphones, they are pretty amazing for any electronic music. They are really easy to drive, so you would not need an amp. Im assuming the same goes for the PRO 750, ive never tried them myself. But if sound quality is the same, and u can afford the extra cost, i would go for it. Just for the velour pads and detachable cable, it depends if pleather pads bother you or not. 

What genres of music are u going to be listening to?

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
The HFI line is more "fun sounding" than the PRO line.

This is not true. It might be the case for the particular headphones that you tried, but the PRO 900 makes the HFI-780 seem almost neutral.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
I'm looking for closed headphones, and how "transparent" do the pro 750s sound?

Define "transparent".

Quote:
Or would it be worth it even to go a step higher and get the pro 900s?

They're pretty different. The PRO 750 is harsher in the upper mids, while the the 900 is a very "v-shaped" sound with strong bass and treble. It's more of a personal call, but from a technical point of view the 900s are better headphones. The treble will bring out more detail in music as well, though it's too strong for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back