Ultrasone HFi 780 vs Dre Studio Beats
Apr 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aznattack

New Head-Fier
Hows it going everyone.
This is my first post to head-fi, and im curious regarding the quality difference between two headphones: The Ultrasone HFi 780 vs the Dr. Dre Studio beats.
The Beats are the only "high end" headphones i've ever gotten the chance to hear, but according to many people on this forum, they unanimous agree that the beats are trash.
I've read through many threads on the reviews for the HFi 780s, and believe they would be great for my taste in music which would mainly be EDM and hip-hop.
Though i've read through many of these threads available on this forum, none of them quite specifically compare these two headphones, and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

On a side note, I am also unsure of what it means by amps "driving" headphones. Will the HFi 780s still sound good without an amp? Or would I need to purchase one afterwards.
I will be listening to all my music primarily from iPhone and desktop.

Thanks to anyone who replys ahead of time. 

Edit: Also if anyone has any other suggestions for headphones in the sub $300 range, please feel free to throw them out.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Can't speak re: the HFI-780, but I've heard the Beats Solo and Ultrasone HFI-580 and PRO-550.  I'm with the majority that Beats might be fun, but they're not "high end" headphones, and they're overpriced.

I haven't heard the HFI-780, but I have the HFI-580.  I've read that the 780 is more neutral, though still has plenty of bass.  But plenty for one person is not the same for another.  I chose the 580 because it was cheaper and I read had more bass impact.  The 780 as I understand though is more detailed and probably a "better" headphone.  All subjective of course.  I find the bass on the HFI-580 to be plenty, though it's not as booming as the Beats Solo I tried.  But sound quality is much better.

You may come across other options besides the Ultrasones which may suit you better, and actually for every Ultrasone fan on here their is at least one more person who hates them.  I've heard other headphones mentioned in that price range that are supposed to be bass monsters, but I can't name any of them, someone else may know.  Plan to do a lot of reading on the forum, everyone has their own thoughts on different headphones.

An amp always helps, but the HFI-580 and 780 are both low impedance and will run from an iPod or other player w/o any trouble.  Higher impedance headphones are hard to drive from portable players and cheap computer sound cards, etc. and need a dedicated headphone amp.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 10
The 780's are pretty much just as lungStruck described them. Pretty neutral but still has plenty of bass. I love them. A great headphone that has great isolation and can be very portable. My friends love the silver cups and so do I...they look pretty cool to me. They would sound very good with the music you listen to as well.

As far as amps go. Don't worry about it. They don't need an amp. IF you think you can get better sound quality or you just want to improve your setup, buy one later, but not when you first get your headphones. No point spending money if you can't hear the difference :wink:

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 10
The HiFi 780 are a fine set of cans and have good bass.  Be aware that they are bright--the next step down from Grado.

At the moment you can get the even better Pro 750 for less money at Amazon.

This may also help you--both the 780 & 750 are mentioned and described in thumbnail form:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 10
I have listened in-depth with the Studios, and I own the M50s and the 780s.

m50s vs 780
Compared to the m50s, the 780s have very little bass, and they sound very metallic. So metallic, in fact, that the treble sounds somewhat artificial. If you listen to rock music, then they may be the best headphones for you. I mainly listen to the many of the genres of house music, and the treble fatigued me very quickly. The m50s have a much fuller sound than the 780s, and the bass response on the m50s is much more recognizable. The treble also isn't as emphasized as the 780s, and it sounds smooth and airy. The mids in the 780s are more reduced than the m50s, and that only contributes to brightness of the headphones. All around sound quality wise, the 780s is the best out of all of the 3 headphones I'm comparing, but it's its lack of bass, emphasized treble, and horrible comfort is what made me put them back in the box and throw them in my closet. With the 780s, I've always felt that it was missing something, and it was the bass.

So, if you enjoy having bass, or even just preferring a fuller sound as I do, don't make the same mistake I did and purchase the 780s. I got confused with the 580s (basshead) and the 780s (treblehead) and bought the wrong ones
biggrin.gif

Beats vs m50s
No competition. The m50s beat the beats in nearly every aspect outside of active noise canceling. With the beats, everything just has very little impact and life to it.
I'll join the bandwagon and just say: don't get beats headphones. They are way overpriced and you are paying for the logo and the plastic.

Beats vs 780s
The beats obviously have the better bass response, and better comfort, but that's about it. Like the m50s, the 780s are the better buy over the beats period.

Do they need an amp
Every high quality headphone benefits from an amp, but for these headphones a dac/amp combo is probably the best choice, especially for you since you're going to be listening to music from your desktop and iPod. My recommendation will go towards the FiiO E17. Unfortunately, they won't be in stock for a while since everybody is buying them up right now.

My Recommendations
Pro700MKII-sound sub-par at stock. You will need to buy some dt250 pads, and do my sound correction mod for it to sound right. Afterwards, they sound better than the M50s and the Ultrasone 580s.
M50s
Ultrasone 580
FiiO E17 Amp./DAC: For your iPod, it would be best if you also purchase the FiiO L1/L9 so you can use the higher quality pseudo-line out instead of using the headphone out. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 10
people on head-fi hates dr.dre's

imo, studios can still compete to HFI780. (well if you don't look at the price tag, that is.)

Bass response is certainly better for studio, quality and quantity wise.  Studio got the the looks, and the detail on the mid is about the same I think. Dr. Dre is veiled tho.

Overall HFI780 is a better headphone, but if you are gonna listen to dubstep and hiphop, I think Dre won't be a terrible choice. Then again, if you listen to dubstep and hip hop, there are a lot better choices for that for the same price range.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
people on head-fi hates dr.dre's

imo, studios can still compete to HFI780. (well if you don't look at the price tag, that is.)

Bass response is certainly better for studio, quality and quantity wise.  Studio got the the looks, and the detail on the mid is about the same I think. Dr. Dre is veiled tho.

Overall HFI780 is a better headphone, but if you are gonna listen to dubstep and hiphop, I think Dre won't be a terrible choice. Then again, if you listen to dubstep and hip hop, there are a lot better choices for that for the same price range.

**** I was talking about 580.............

Can't comment on 780..

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 10
To say the the HiFi 780 lacks bass is shocking to me.  That's not just my opinion (and ears).  Here is what one of the featured buying reviews on this site says about the 780:

"Tight, punchy bass, crisp highs with an aggressive, upfront sound. Lots of bass. Good isolation. Great with trance and bass heavy music."

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range 

To each his own, but that truly can only come from a bass head--not that that's a bad thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back