Ultrasone HFI 780 vs Beyer 770
Oct 24, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 13
Ultrasone has tighter bass and more impact.
Beyer is a more integrated sound and a fair bit looser (and will lack texture if you have a low quality amp and source).
Ultimately, its hard to tell which is better as they both have a "boom tish" kind of sound that I do not particularly care for.
if i *had* to choose. Probably the DT770.
The ultrasone adds impact to just about everything and I find it makes music fairly monotonous whereas the beyer has a slightly more dynamic sound.

I will note that neither have what I would consider 'good' bass, rather that both of them have "big bass"

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 13
Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure (I have a feeling that what I consider 'good bass' differs greatly from yours).
These two are the best examples for what I think you mean that come to mind, however whichever type of bass you prefer is entirely up to your ears. I cant think of any in this price range (going by my local prices) that I like, but its late.
The DT250, for example I like.

A DT990 might be worth considering.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. What we like in our bass is probably different. I like "big bass" and feeling the impact. I can't really decide between Ultrasone and Beyer though.

You will feel the impact more with the ultrasone.

edit: however. THe 770 is no slouch in this regard.
Another thing to consider is build quality and comfort.
The DT770 is much more solid (pretty much impossible to break apart from cable) and is also much much more comfortable.
Ultrasones are some of the least comfortable phones made IMO

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 13
The thing that worries me about the Ultrasones is that a lot of people have said they sound all over the place and take 400 hours burn in to settle. Also, some of the reviews are pretty negative like these Ultrasone HFI-700 Reviews :: Headphone Reviews

I haven't heard too much negative about the 770's other than that the bass might not be as defined as it could be, and the mids are a bit recessed.

Edit: I've also heard the stock cable of the hfi's sucks. I've done more research on the Ultrasones than the 770's though.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 13
Haven't heard the DT770, but I don't think the HFI-780 sound all over the place; pretty much the opposite, actually. I love their bass: it's punchy and authoritative, but at the same time it doesn't "contaminate" the rest of the sound like many other headphones I've tried before. IMO, of course.
wink.gif

By the way, my pair is stock, and I don't think about recabling...

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Now I'm reading threads about the 770's mids being garbage and the bass being flabby. Argh. I don't want 880's or 990's though, I want something for hip-hop. Maybe the Ultrasones are for me, but I don't want something really uncomfortable either

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Like previously said, Ultrasones aren't known for their comfort. The headband padding can make pressure on the top of your head, and it does get annoying after more than 2 hours (or even less, depending on the person). But I usually don't listen to music for 2 hours straight; I listen to an album, make a break and then listen to another.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 13
The 770s are very comfy. You could also re-cable the 770s to improve the mids and tighten up the bass.

I'd go with the DT770's imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back