Ultrasone HFI-780 Amp Suggestions?
May 10, 2010 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Scrivs

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so a few days ago I finally got to the point that I think my Ultrasone HFI-780 is burned in properly (got over a 100 hours now) so I thought it was about time now to look for an amp to pair it with.
But, I honestly have no idea what I should choose exactly because I've got several options to choose from and I dont know which one would be the best for me.

I'll start off by telling you what my current setup is: So I've got my PC --> inside it is my on-board M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard --> linked to the soundcard is my SM Pro Audio iNano Patch passive volume controller --> and from there I've got cables running to my two KRK RP5 studio monitors and my KRK RP10s Subwoofer...

As you can see I don't have a DAC or anything like that yet, which is also probably the reason why I can barely hear a difference in soundquality between a 320kbps mp3 file and a FLAC file... (which bothers me).

Because of this I've got two options to choose from: 1) Should I get a single headphone amp to power my headphone and improve its soundquality? or 2) Should I get a DAC/Amp combo to improve the soundquality of my headphone and the sound coming from my monitors aswell?...
Then the last question would be: What would be the best product to get? (wether its a single headphone amp, or an amp/dac combo)

Personally I think that it would be best for me to get a DAC that also has an inbuild headphone amp right?

So, first I would want to know wether it would be best for me to get a DAC/Amp combo, or just a single headphone amp, and then I was hoping if any of you could give me some recommendations of products I should have a look at.
Currently I'm leaning towards the Nuforce uDAC, or the Zero DAC/Amp from Ebay, but there are so awfully many options to choose from that I'm quite lost in all the options :p

So, what would you recommend me?

Thanks in advance!

- Scrivs.

PS: I'm quite a basshead (which is why I bought the 780 in the first place), so I would want an amp that works well with the 780s bass response...

May 12, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 4
Bump.

Just need to know what would be more beneficial for me, getting a DAC/Amp combo to improve the soundquality of both my monitor and headphone, or just a single amp for my headphone.
(I personally think a DAC/Amp would be the best)

And what products could you recommend me then?

Thinking about the Zero DAC, NuForce uDAC or the RSA 'Predator'.

Thanks.

May 12, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Scrivs,  If you head on over to http://www.headfonia.com/, Mike there is doing tons of comparison between low end and high end DAC's.  I'm sure you would find some guidance there.

May 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 4
It's really not that big, plenty of things to sweat about instead... For me, I would like to think I can hear the difference but as long as my music's free of unbearable distorting artifacts it's fine.... Getting an amp/dac will bring benefits - soundstage, clearing up the bass inter alia - that will be apparent, 320kbps mp3, loseless, VBR V0, SACD, a real live band playing in your house (oh wait maybe not) whatever the format ... 

Quote:
As you can see I don't have a DAC or anything like that yet, which is also probably the reason why I can barely hear a difference in soundquality between a 320kbps mp3 file and a FLAC file... (which bothers me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back