Ultrasone HFI-650: first impressions
Sep 13, 2002 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
These cans have about 8 hours of burnin, and so far I'm pleasantly surprised. They're doing pretty well at this point. I would place them ahead of the other closed phones that I've listened to for an extended period of time: the Ultrasone HFI-600, the Pioneer 10R, and the Beyer DT770 and DT831. I just finished comparing them to the DT931 and HD600, and they stack up pretty well for a closed phone. Yes, they do sound closed, but the interesting thing is the soundstage provided by the "S-Logic Natural Surround Sound". I'm using a HA-1 Corda Blue. With the two open phones just mentioned, I use the first crossfeed position. But with the HFI-650, I prefer the crossfeed turned off.

I do not find these phones to be heavy, although they're no lightweights either. The ear pieces are a little small for my big ears, but they do provide good (although not excellent) isolation. They are efficent, needing significantly less volume on the HA-1 than the HD600 or DT931.

Well, I'm off to plug them back into the receiver for some more burnin time. In fact, they don't sound too bad out of the Yamaha RX-596 headphone jack. More impressions to come in a day or so.

Sep 13, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for the info - I guess, I'll dare a try in the near future, too...

Greetings from San Jose!

Manfred / lini

Sep 13, 2002 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 5
I count on comparative review of k240s vs. HFI650 from you lini.
wink.gif
I am almost 100% determined to go for the AKG, but if you happen to like the Ultrasones better, I might change...I don`t know, I`m all confused...I would also appreciate to hear any new impressions on k240s alone.

dougli, mr. Meier tested HFI650 connected to top gear (great source, amp..). He advertises them as "a nice travelling companion" and "an easy drive for portables", but his review doesn`t say much of this portability issue. It would be nice if you could try the Ultrasones with any portable you have, with and without dedicated amp and tell us what you hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanx

ps. I have an extra smilie on top of my message, and I can` remove it. Please, ignore it.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav

dougli, mr. Meier tested HFI650 connected to top gear (great source, amp..). He advertises them as "a nice travelling companion" and "an easy drive for portables", but his review doesn`t say much of this portability issue. It would be nice if you could try the Ultrasones with any portable you have, with and without dedicated amp and tell us what you hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanx

miroslav, I'm sorry to say that I have no portable headphone equipment. All I can say is that they do fold up nicely.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 5
Yup yup, we definately need more full reviews of these things. I'd be particularly interested in how these things stack up to my DT770s for rock, as well as a few more comparisons to more top-end headphones. (Jan Meier had few qualms when comparing the 650s to the HD600s, so why not?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back