Ultrasone HFI-580 vs HFI-780 Worth the difference?
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bralleput

Head-Fier
Hi all,
I know that there are other threads about those two, but I think they're not clear enough.
Hfi-580 = Better bass
Hfi-780 = Better sound quality overall
BUT,
Is the difference in overall sound quality of the 780 worth the difference of the bass?
considering the prices are almost the same. (13 bucks at BHphotovideo)
Oh, and if you think that there are better headphones for the same price or a little more, please tell it. (Beyer DT 250 for example? is it better?)

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Ultrasones are made for electronic genres so if that's what you're looking for both the HFI-580 and 780 will suit you fine. Personally I prefer the 780s and find them a step up in sound quality compared to the 580s which do have more bass quantity. Both these phones work great without an amp and from a mobile player.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 4
First post, hello everybody. :)
Being one to used them both side by side, I would strongly suggest the HFI-780 fot 90% of the people. Unless you are the one to expect Beyer DT770 bass from a smaller package with lower impedance HFI-580 has nothing "more" to offer to you over HFI-780. HFI-780 is much more balanced, detailed yet still gives you enough slam and definition as far as bass is concerned. HFI-580 may have more slam (quantity) but certainly less definition (quality) in bass. So if you listen mostly "one note bass" music and love the tingling sensation of bass hitting you eardrums you may be among the 10%
Other than that both are great "portable" headphones. At the price point they can't be beat for the ergonomics (not the comfort but flexibility) only if not for any other consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back