Ultrasone HFI 580 vs Denon D1000: Fair comparison?
May 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ipponrg

New Head-Fier
I just came back from one of the shop sponsors here in Los Angeles, and I was listening to the 2 headphones in the topic on my Ipod Nano g2 with alternative rock post hardcore songs.

What I noticed was:

- D1000s ($149) have a more washed out sound compared to HFI 580.
- The 580s ($189) had more clearer individual sound such that you can hear every single instrumetn playing.

Overall, I enjoyed the HFi 580 more unamped than the D1000. The D1000 was definitely more comfortable than the HFI 580, but the 580 was still ok and isolated better.

As I'm doing more shopping around, what are some other similar closed headcans around the same price range (< $200) that will satisfy comfort, portability, and quality? These will mainly be used with the ipod and computer on planes and at home. I also plan to buy the headroom bitamp to power my ipod. My computer has an external Line6 UX2 so that should be more than enough to power these headphones.

I asked the shop about the Beyer 770s, but they said a lot of people didnt like them at the shop so they stopped carrying them. What's kinda funny is people here seem to like the Beyers. Plus we have the Shures coming in a few months too. So it's a hard decision for me to figure this out.

So far my current prioritization seems to be:
1) HFI 580
2) Shure or beyer 770/80?
3) D1001

Any opinions on this? Thanks.

May 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the 580's and really like them. Clear sound good base, but not too base heavy. Definitely need an amp. I happen find them really comfortable. Use them at work a lot and can really wear the all day. Have taken on one or two trips too, they are good on a plane, but I wouldn't walk around the street with them, they are a little too big. I also got them for a little cheaper (about $150 I think from B&H here in NYC, but that was a couple of months ago). I haven't really heard the D1000's but I really like my 580's. I hope that helps a little.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 4
I have both the D1001 and HFI-580. I like the 580s more for "rock" and the D1001 for acoustic music. To me the D1001 are more detailed. But, overall I like the 580s more for their bass extension and fuller sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back