Ultrasone HFI-580 Opinions?
Mar 8, 2015 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chuckwheat

100+ Head-Fier
I have had the Ultrasone hfi-580s for the last 2 years. I'm looking to upgrade to HD650s with modi/magni ubers after some research.
But since the 580s are the highest-end headphones I've listened to, what are people's opinions of them? I like them a lot, but how are they compared to others? What should I expect from the 650s after using the 580s for so long?
I primarily listen to all forms of rock and some electric, but I enjoy all genres. I listen to flac-ripped CDs, but also have 192/24 flacs of my favorite albums.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 9
It really comes down to whether S-Logic works for you or not. If it does, then you'll really like the Ultrasones. If it doesn't then you'll really dislike Ultrasone. Since S-Logic is not something that can be disabled, it's an all or nothing situation. For me, S-Logic doesn't work. The treble sounds all wrong and the sound is just weird. It's a shame, because I do think they make beautiful and well-made headphones - just not headphones I want to listen to. YMMV...

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 9
The 580 is considered to be a basshead or basshead lite can. 

The 650 has the mid bass hump with rolled off treble, which I hear as veiled.  Great sound though and a favorite of many for rock.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 9
  The 580 is considered to be a basshead or basshead lite can. 

The 650 has the mid bass hump with rolled off treble, which I hear as veiled.  Great sound though and a favorite of many for rock.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

The veil is the only thing i'm concerned about. I like the idea of a more prominent bass, but I also like a little treble. Maybe the ultrasones have made me find sharp treble relatively normal. This would only contribute to being more sensitive to the infamous veil I hear about...
But I've also heard people say that there's no real veil perceivable. I suppose I would have to just try them myself :/ Not sure how I would do that though.

It really comes down to whether S-Logic works for you or not. If it does, then you'll really like the Ultrasones. If it doesn't then you'll really dislike Ultrasone. Since S-Logic is not something that can be disabled, it's an all or nothing situation. For me, S-Logic doesn't work. The treble sounds all wrong and the sound is just weird. It's a shame, because I do think they make beautiful and well-made headphones - just not headphones I want to listen to. YMMV...

I'm not sure if you understood the original post. I have the ultrasones, I like them. I would like to upgrade. How would sennheiser hd650s sound coming from the 580s?

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 9

Coming from an Ultrasone, you will find the treble on the HD 650 to be veiled and rolled off.

Perhaps you should be looking at the DT 880 & 990.

Sometimes I find the Ultrasone treble to be harsh. :/ perhaps less treble would be good on my ears, but I do like crispness... idk it's too hard to make a firm decision

I've looked at the 880 and 990. I feel that from the frequency response graph, having even more bass in the 990s would be headsplitting :/

Do you think there's any way I could try the 650s without buying them? or is it not worth it because the amp changes the sound a lot?

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't understand your question. 

I have no idea where you are located or the return policies of vendors you might consider.  Attending a Head-Fi meet may be solution for you.

The 650 needs an amp to be properly driven and deliver the performance for which they were designed.  If you don't have a proper amp for them (or other 250 Ohms and higher cans we are discussing), look elsewhere.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 9
  I don't understand your question. 

I have no idea where you are located or the return policies of vendors you might consider.  Attending a Head-Fi meet may be solution for you.

The 650 needs an amp to be properly driven and deliver the performance for which they were designed.  If you don't have a proper amp for them (or other 250 Ohms and higher cans we are discussing), look elsewhere.

sorry

I was thinking that If someone let me try theirs, that it would not likely be with the same amp I would use, and that would perhaps change the sound of the headphones enough that it wouldn't be a good demo to base the purchase decision off of.

There's Head-Fi meets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back