ULTRASONE HFI-550
Nov 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Do you explicit mean HFI 550?
I ask, because they are replaced by the HFI 580, which offers the new S-Logic Plus, cmiiw.

The HFI 780, is described to have some extra bass and highs especially for movies.

From what i read(don't have one of them yet) you can't do much wrong with one of them!

Have a look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...-580-a-327443/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...ht=HFI+580+780
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cne...-580-a-352533/

Cause I'm also interested in the 580, I'd like to read about your decision/impresion.

Hiwi

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 14
HFI 550 Have very punchy bass great for DJ/ drummers...
Fun headphones with the best isolation.
DJ1 is in this category too.
And then you have the HFI driver in the PRO/PL Studio cans.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I mean the HFI 550.
We don't have the 580 in Israel unfortunetly.

You can order online.
Just pay extra shipping, UPS or Fedex...

beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 14
You can find shops/people that will send to Israel even in eBay, the problem is the tax you have to pay once it arrives in Israel and as far as i know it's 30% on headphones (correct me if i'm wrong).
According to my calculations, the hfi 580s should be around 1.1k nis (maybe a bit less) and the hfi 550 should be around 730nis.
Now, unless you can avoid the taxes somehow (something which i'd love to hear because i'm thinking of order from abroad as well) it's still fairly expensive.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm not sure about the tax because I've never heard of it but it seems the 580 will indeed be too expensive for me.

There isn't such a great dufference between the 580 and the 550 anyway, right ? The 580 should a very similar but slightly improved model.

I want to return to my original question please.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Are they any good for gaming/movies ?

I haven't heard the HFI 580 myself, however assuming based on what I have read:

The HFI 550 is very similar to HFI 580 which is very similar to DJ1 and Proline 550 which I do have, then the answer to your question is yes.

The Proline 550 (and therefore/probably the HFI 550) are excellent for both gaming and movies, and pretty bloody competent for music as well. Lots of bass (subwoofer type for movies) not bad for positioning (games) and I find then fairly comfortable. They are heavy (for their weight) based on their design, however I don't have any issues with them, some others report they do. Even though I haven't heard the 550 compared to the 580, I would say the difference would be minimal, mainly cosmetic rather than sound (and have read this from a source I respect who has access to all Ultrasones past and present, except Pro 900 and ED9) and I would go local rather than on line (580) at increased price.

Cheers

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI 550 is very similar to HFI 580 which is very similar to DJ1 and Proline 550 which I do have.

I'm on a tight budget and the DJ1 cost 15% less, according to what you say they are almost the same as the HFI 550 so it will be a good idea to get them instead, right ?

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Thank you very much, it was very helpful.

Last question, are the Ultrasone 550 better for gaming/movies than RP21/hd555/AD700 ?

This is my other question.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I'm on a tight budget and the DJ1 cost 15% less, according to what you say they are almost the same as the HFI 550 so it will be a good idea to get them instead, right ?

Hi dennis14,
Remember that I haven't heard the HFI550 or the DJ1 for myself, (only the Proline 550) however based on what I have read from reliable sources, they will be fairly similar. Whether something is worth 15% more or not is very subjective, and I don't know that I could answer this question for you even if I had heard them all. I don't think you will be disappointed by either, provided you like the Ultrasone sound signature. As to yuor question whether the AD700, HD555, or RP21 would be better than the Ultrasones, that is very subjective question. I prefer the AD900 to the HD555 by a long margin, so I belive that the AD700 is a beter fon than the HD555. I haven't heard the RP21, so I can't comment. Part of the problem with comparing headphones at similar price points of different brands is that they have very different sound signatures, and therefore it gets down to opinion and preference. The AD700 will have a bigger sound stage than the HFI550 much less bass and a totally different signature. They are certainly liked by some gamers (others don't like the lack of bass) and I would think they would be good for movies, particularly with their airy soundstage, however they will lack that sub woofer bass for action type movies (explosions etc). Only you can decide what you might like, and I know this is difficult unless you can audition the fons which isn't always possible. I think either of the Ultrasone fons, or the AD700 are very good fons particularly at their respective price points, the HD555 are also good, and although the I haven't heard the RP21s, they are reportedly very good also. Spoilt for choice at this price point, diminishing returns haven't kick in. I don't think you can go wrong with the choices you have researched.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 14
I just bought DJ1 for dj mixing duties and auditioned the HFI550 (note the old HFI550 all plastic case). They sound different from each other. The DJ1 has a more forward mid presentation compared to the 550. The bass is also snappier and sounds like there is a midbass hump. This makes it excellent for dj mixing use as it makes it easier to beatmatch in a loud club atmosphere. The HFI550 is more of a refined version of the DJ1 I personally liked it more than the DJ1. If using for audiophile listening it is far better than the DJ1. I am not an expert so pardon for the amateur comparison of the two.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also tried the HFI2200ule, PRO550, PRO2500, PRO650. I liked the PRO2500 the best but to my surprise the HFI550 was no slouch compared to the higher models. The open models of course had the biggest soundstage. I think I am going to be buying some more ultrasone cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back