Ultrasone HFI-500
Mar 28, 2004 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

buffpandabear

Head-Fier
Can someone tell me something about these phones? Why are they so much cheaper than hfi-650 or hfi-700? On Meier-Audio, they are described as between 650 and 700 in sound. Does anyone have these phones? I'm looking for closed phones that are comfortable and easy to drive--and i don't want to spend much. If the hfi500's are decent, I'll consider them.

May 3, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 7
I too would like to hear more about these ultrasone dj1's. Are they the same headphone as the rest of the line comfort-wise? How bad is the tension and sweating? How is the bass; is it deep and tight from a pcdp or a cheap soundcard? Is it too bright? Finally, what does Ultrasone mean when they say, "it is made for a high power input."? Thank you for any info/op.

confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffpandabear
Can someone tell me something about these phones? Why are they so much cheaper than hfi-650 or hfi-700? On Meier-Audio, they are described as between 650 and 700 in sound.

I don't have them... so I can't comment on how they sound like anyway (my HFI-700 is still on the way, so I can't even comment on what those sound like either.. lol).

However, I think Meier Audio's description does not mean the HFI-500 is "between" HFI-650 and HFI-700 in terms of total sound quality. It's just the balance of sound. HFI-650 is known to be more analytical, truer to original sound (Trackmaster) and HFI-700 is more entertaining and fun, more bassy (also known as HFI-650 DVD). So the HFI-500's sound signature is somewhere between them. That doesn't mean the overall performance is better.

May 4, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 7
I've got the DJ1's. I'm not a good review person, which is one of the reasons why I've been hesitant to post a review about them.

In any case, I like them better than the HD280s. Comfort is about the same to me. They're not that comfortable, mostly due to the headband design. But I find them more comfortable than the HD280s. They don't have as tight a grip, but don't isolate as much.

Anyway, as for sound, the DJ1's, like the other closed ultrasone models, have a very wide soundstage. Bass is nice, deep and powerful, but not as strong as say, the Sony 7506s. For the most part, the mids are prominant, and treble's nice and clear. So far so good, however, I find that the frequency response is uneven in some parts. The upper midrange / lower treble seems to be terribly recessed. So some of the details go missing. I'm wondering if this is a result of Ultrasone's "S-Logic" thingamajig.... I remember reading a while back, where I think it was Duncan, who found that the HFI-650 Trackmaster also had problems with midrange, so I don't think I'm the only one. If this is true, then it means that all the Ultrasone's may suffer from recessed upper mids / lower treble..

I still enjoy listening to the DJ1's, though. Perhaps it's a sign the my ears are still inexperienced. In any case, they're the headphones I use the most, but I'm thinking of moving on to something else, like the AKG K240S's, so that I can have something that I can listen to for longer periods of time since I find don't find the DJ1's too comfortable..

Anyway, the best thing to do is to try them out yourself and see if you like them...

Hope that helps a bit!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 7
none of the lower Ultrasones are popular here. I think it's because the HFI-650 Trackmaster and HFI-700 DVD have been out longer and are more established in the market. Most people go for those. There have hardly been any reviews of the DJ1 or the Beatmaster....

as for other impressions....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin
They sound very different.

The Trackmaster is very well balanced with a tendancy to be a little bright at times, they're sparkly, detailed headphones that I think are great for recording applications.

The DJ1 has a surprisingly prominent mid/vocal range on them which is the first thing that stands out to my ears, it's actually very enjoyable.
The high end is a little less detailed (slightly dirtier) than the Trackmasters and the bass is more midbass oriented and doesn't go quite as deep, so they're bassier with some "doof doof" music than the Trackmasters and less bassy with music with "real" low bass.

Well, that's my 2c anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back