UltraSone Headphones...anyone?
Jun 10, 2005 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lorenzo

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone here tried any of the UltraSone headphones. I noticed headroom had no comments or ratings of their headphone line, but these look interesting to me.

The key feature that caught my eye was that these cans could fold into a more compact formation, and the cups seem to have a lot of swivel ability. For travelling, it would be kind of convenient to have a high quality full size headphone that can fold up and be stuffed into a backpack.

Now, I love my Beyers, and they are still burning in...but they are not what I would call portable.

I only read one review of the UltraSone and it was VERY favorable. The guy looks like a professional studio technician, so he seems to know sound.

I don't have the money to buy anything more right now, but I was looking at the UltraSone 750, which is a sealed version of their 2500.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi Lorenzo.

I have a pair of HFI-650 (similar to the HFI-750). They are a fun headphone. The sound signature is boosted bass, extending into the deep bass range, as well as boosted treble. This makes them particularly well suited for low volume listening.

Isolation is very good for headphones. The earpads are very uncomfortable, so many of us replace them with Beyer DT250 pads. The cord is very long, which is a pain for portable use, but works well around the house. They do fold up nicely. They are reasonably easy to drive.

There have been some reports of headband failure. Searching this forum should yield some information. The headband is very similar to the one on Sennheiser HD280.

gerG

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 15
i have both the 650 trackmaster's and 500dj1's

i love them. the sound signature is great on both and provide a more detailed sound and stage then most cans out there. i wont say light on the bass or extended blah coz i can't measure them and don't believe that i can accurately describe any frequency anomalies based on just my listening.

they were literally a revelation for me when i started dj'ing with them. nothing comes close to revealing the elements. they broke at the headband, but using them in a club environment 35 hrs a week, i knew the band would break. they were great about fixing it though. my 650's that are older and don't get used in clubs and theyre in perfect condition.

i havent replaced the pads on them, but i havent had a chance to. i find for daily tv/listening work my akg's are more comfortable, but i still use my ultrasone's for 3 hrs a day at home for listening and studio work and 30+ hrs a week when playing records. theyre defn my preffered studio can atm.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 15
So do the cats that like these mainly use them for DJ and Studio work? That DOES seem to be the target market for these.

The 750's seem too expensive. But the 650's are reasonable...though still high.

Is there another option that has the capability to fold down as compact as the UltraSones, in terms of being a full-sized headphone? Or would I just be better off getting a pair of Sennheiser PX100s or something and not worry about it?

I don't generally like earbuds, because I prefer some space instead of having the music "in" your head.

The only other cans I see that can collapse/fold and have good sound seem to be the Grados. But the cups rotate flat, and don't actually fold into the headband. The whole thing is still not what I would call "portable" in the true sense of the word.

Anyway, I'll be searching through the forum and seeing what I can find. Feel free to chime in folks!

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 15
I have a set of HFI-700 (aka 650 DVD instead of 650 Trackmaster). They're good cans, I like them a lot, but they don't pair up too well with bright equipment. Find a nice smooth/liquid DAC/amp combo and they do very well, otherwise the vocals are a bit off. I found them to fare badly with the Total Bithead, but well with my Denon receiver and even my Thinkpad. Which isn't a knock against the TBH honestly, I just think its better paired with warmer/smoother equipment like Sennheisers or DT250-80s. YMMV tho. Still, I asked for a closed pair of Grado's, and I believe that's what I got in the end.

I have a pair of Proline 750's on order as well as some DT660s from the forum so it'll be an interesting comparo in my near future.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 15
agreed that some people will think they dont work exceedingly well with everything. i have no problems and don't think theyre overly bright with any gear ive used them with. my ears may be different though.

seems a lot of people (many wouldnt have heard them either, theyre not so common) dont like these for being too bright and what have you, doesnt sound too different from the current FOTM
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 15
Good bass detailed and comfortable for short periods of time very good insolation

I use them at home whilst one my computer and they suit me down to the ground.

They do fold up but they are still quite large phones

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Good bass detailed and comfortable for short periods of time very good insolation

I use them at home whilst one my computer and they suit me down to the ground.

They do fold up but they are still quite large phones

Are you talking about the 750?

Someone recommended to me checking out the Sony V6 (and I would guess the V7), so I'll be looking at those. The word "bright" is a subjective thing...I would prefer the word "detailed". How is the detail on either the Sony's or Ultrasones?

Like I said, no loot for now, but that doesn't mean I can't do the research and set my goal early, LOL.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 15
I don't know whether the 750 is any better than the 2500, I doubt it, but apart from the bass nothing changed during 2500 burn-in. They were as ear-fryingly harsh, bright, creaky and flippin' uncomfortable the day I sold them as when I first got them. They're the only cans I've listened to that are mentally, acoustically and physically painful.
Don't think I like only darker cans like my hd595's either, the sr325i's have become much more rs-1 like after a lot more (mainly) mental burn-in. I can appreciate their foot tapping, jamming midrange for rock, despite their brightness. If you like detail and rock get the 325i's, or if you like all kinds of music go for the 595. Both can be driven ok without an amp. Some beyers cross a middle ground, but the only beyer I own is the dt431 so I can't really comment on them. Just don't buy a proline!

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
The word "bright" is a subjective thing...I would prefer the word "detailed". How is the detail on either the Sony's or Ultrasones?

the whole sound signature of the 650's and 500's is definitely detailed. i can hear so much more in the studio and behind the decks that i can't hear as easily with other cans. sure they may be there with other cans, but i need the details obvious immediately, i dont have time to mess about waiting for them to subtley show themselves.

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I don't know whether the 750 is any better than the 2500,
They were as ear-fryingly harsh, bright, creaky and flippin' uncomfortable the day I sold them as when I first got them. They're the only cans I've listened to that are mentally, acoustically and physically painful.

I own the PL750 and wear them at work (about 5 hours a day). I have no problems with any kind of pain.
But maybe it's because my other cans are the HD25-1
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 15
I have the HFI650 DVD and they're my favorite phones. More detail, at least on my humble rig, than any phone I've heard, and quite easily. Especially I like the monumental bass that does not in any way obscure the highs (rolled off highs, at least to my ears, are what I especially dislike about most phones). Strangely, despite the lower impedance the Proline 750 did not have the same impactful sound (sounded like lower volume) that the HFI did; however, I think with better amps it would sing. [The 2500 was worse; it seemed like the leakage out was making the highs sound too distant. If separation/soundstage is why you want the open version, you'll get that aplenty in the 750 instead.] The other sonic qualities--mondo detail, distinct highs, separation, etc.--were immediately evident in the 750. The Ultrasone distributor in the U.S. said that the Prolines that have the titanium drivers need hella burn-in, FYI.

The only comfort issue IMO would be with the HFI line; if your ears are especially large in diameter, as are mine, the outer edges will be pressed upon by the pads. For the first 3 weeks of ownership this caused me discomfort after each 1.5-2 hours use; however, now I develop no discomfort whatsoever despite extended use. This wasn't a mental adjustment; the original clamping force must have lessened a bit (you can bend the headband yourself to expedite the process).

The 750s were fully circumaural, and not at all uncomfortable. The only comfort issue is that the screw-in cable points straight down toward your shoulder (there is a rigid portion that screws it) and if you move a lot it may brush your shoulder.

BTW the V6 doesn't deliver the detail that the Ultrasones do; it's just "bright", as they say. With the Ultrasones I typically hear valves working and even piano footpedals; it might be offputting to some.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 15
The HFI-650 was a well-rounded, if somewhat analytical 'phone - the build quality was decent but not great and the comfort was also tolerable. The HFI-650DVD, or HFI-700 as it's sometimes known, is more fun than the standard HFI-650, but it's less controlled in the bass and too recessed in the midrange - the two brothers do share the family characteristics. The Ultrasone PROline 750 is a better headphone than any previous 'phone in their lineage (perhaps even better than the Edition7 - when I heard that pair they sounded like an improved HFI-650 and not much better, and these had a cable upgrade). The PROline 750 is less analytical than the 650 and more controlled than the 700; it's still detailed and resolving, but it's more musical and less artificial-sounding (as some sealed 'phones tend to sound, especially with midrange and vocals). The PROline 750 also features improved build quality and earpads similar to the Beyer silver velours. Still, I prefer the K271, DT250-250, HD25-1 and DT770-80 to the PROline 750 for sonics, but only the DT770-80 matches the PROline 750 for comfort. However, fans of slamming music (hip hop, trance, metal) might prefer the PROline 750 to these others because of its impact and speed, regardless of its slightly more nasal midrange reproduction - it reminds me of an improved ATH-A1000, and that's saying something.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 15
if it is the folding-mechanism, you're after, you could also take a look (and listen!) at beyerdynamics dt660 (closed), dt440 and dt860 (both open). they use the same encasing as the ultrasone with the usual drawback of reduced wearing comfort (uhh... those pads are just a bit too thin and the material is not nearly so smooth). some attested the dt860 to be a close relative of the dt880 soundwise.

Jun 25, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 15
(sorry to bump a dead thread!)

I got a used pair of HFI-650 Trackmasters today, and they are quite good! Nice detail, good bass, yet not as much noise isolation as I hoped. The build quality on the other hand is less than Grado's IMO. The headband was built to break, and all the joints squeak. I applied a nice teflon anti-friction spray coating to the joints, and they still squeak, although a bit less than before. I'm sure glad I didnt pay anywere close to retail for these
tongue.gif

They are better than the regular midrange closed cans (HD280, AD500, etc), and are better than the Proline 750 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back