Ultrasone Edt. 9 head count!
Aug 28, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #91 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Do you think the ED9 are lacking those things, or that they are already great but why not try to get the best?

E9 are wonderful, but now, when my ASL Twin-Head went to Warsaw for new capacitors, I heard them with Pro-Ject, and the difference is like day and night. So, always could be better. Only one (from five) pair of tubes in Twin-Head makes very big difference. The same is when I change IC, source, etc, etc. Audio system is a very long chain and only one weak link do imperfection.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #92 of 208
Ok, I am about to send my Edition 9 to Alex (apuresound.com), so lets take a vote here. Originally I was planning to go for just shortening the cable and re-termination - I just need a short cable with mini plug for how I use this headphone. Alternative - I could also splurge, get it recabled, while taking the hit/risk and tell you guys how Alex's cables work with it.

So what do you guys think? Economically speaking either option is equivalent to me.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #93 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not always becasue you use premiun gas in your car it will work better...if it was designed for regular gas...

Ok...it's official.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #94 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok...it's official.

Lol, interesting interpretation comes out of that. If Edition 9 was designed for regular gas, then while its a nice headphone, I definitely am justified for saying that high-end source and amp are a waste of time with it xD

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #95 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I am about to send my Edition 9 to Alex (apuresound.com), so lets take a vote here. Originally I was planning to go for just shortening the cable and re-termination - I just need a short cable with mini plug for how I use this headphone. Alternative - I could also splurge, get it recabled, while taking the hit/risk and tell you guys how Alex's cables work with it.

So what do you guys think? Economically speaking either option is equivalent to me.

i generally don't think much of stock cables. i have seen stock cables of headphones bare and they look very unimpressive. i know that with my HD650 (zu), K701 (black dragon), and DT880 (cardas), the cable change had a noticeable improvement in the sound. the stock cables on these headphones looked and felt very cheap, esp the K701. for some reason, i feel that the grado cable of my RS1 is of good quality. it seems to be. i'm not sure though, but up to this point, i have resisted recabling that headphone. i guess my point is that it depends on the quality of the stock Ed.9 cable. if it seems like a quality cable and some have suggested it is, then maybe recabling is not worth the expense. of course, if the expense is not great for you, then it is always something fun to try.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #96 of 208
I am fairly skeptical it would do anything serious in general, since Edition 9 - while providing improvements across amplification/sources, seems to maintain its high-end sound without needing high end gear behind it...it might be that it is not particularly transparent to cable changes either.

I think I'll go against the re-cable because there is one thing I do absolutely love about the stock cable - it is very flexible.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #97 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don’t worry about the result, because I always can go back to the stock cable. What I expect? The same what everyone expect when change cable – more clear, spatial and subtle sound.
As I remember E7 with silver cable was better than with stock one.

You don't know about the result, and you don't even have a valid reason neither...
rolleyes.gif
...The problem is just to change it, period!!! ...
evil_smiley.gif

BTW this is not true in some people's opinion...including mine...there is a difference in sound in the Editon 7 Rudi has, and the 9 he also owns. The 7 sometimes shows a little harshenss in the highs, with some recordings, that is not present at all on the 9. Now as he still keep both with the respective cables, it is hard to conclude if it is due just to the cable change (what I'm assuming it is) or to the nature of the heapdhone plus that, (but using the same drivers and everyhing else, not sure how the other elements may impact on the sound...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E9 are wonderful, but now, when my ASL Twin-Head went to Warsaw for new capacitors, I heard them with Pro-Ject, and the difference is like day and night. So, always could be better. Only one (from five) pair of tubes in Twin-Head makes very big difference. The same is when I change IC, source, etc, etc. Audio system is a very long chain and only one weak link do imperfection.

That is true, 100%, but in your case I'm pretty sure is not the cable what is bottlenecking the system, trust me on that, is something bigger and more obvious, but you will find that later on, and eventually you will replace it as well, and find the perfection you are after...but I will leave that up to you....

The problem with the audiophiles in general ( and please I'm not talking about you particularly) and according to what I have seen for years and years, is that most of the times, they have more money in their wallets than they should, in order to spend it wisely....
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #98 of 208
Quote:

Lol, interesting interpretation comes out of that. If Edition 9 was designed for regular gas, then while its a nice headphone, I definitely am justified for saying that high-end source and amp are a waste of time with it xD

It seems that you got me with that "not so wise" analogy, eh???...LOL...This is not the right logic behind that, but it is true that it sounds good even out of my portable sources, with no amp, just to mention one example...and far better than other heapdhones out of amps and ultraexpensive sources...The same way the car will run smoother in a better ans smoother road even with regular gas...

Quote:

I am fairly skeptical it would do anything serious in general, since Edition 9 - while providing improvements across amplification/sources, seems to maintain its high-end sound without needing high end gear behind it...it might be that it is not particularly transparent to cable changes either.

I think I'll go against the re-cable because there is one thing I do absolutely love about the stock cable - it is very flexible.

I think that the better the system behind them is, as whole product, the better it will sound (at the end you are feeding a better signal) it will not make it sounds better or worst, it will just show you what you are feeding in....I have tried it out of different setups, and I have heard myself, that the better the setup is, the better they will show you how better and bigger that setup is...

But the cable is part of the product as a whole...I do not know neither the results going for a better cable, and I do not have anything against who wants to expriment with their own headphones, but I do not feel the need at all, as you said, of replacing it, and I will not expriment with mine, same as I did not do it with the CD3K neither, and same as many people here do not mess with the Orpheus cable, or the Omegas cable, that IMO are far worst...

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #99 of 208
Heh, well in the same manner I do not feel the need to provide a high end setup to drive this headphone. I know I will get improvement, but the headphone starts out so good that it really can only improve so much... I am one hand tempted to experiment, but only because it can be fun, thats about it. Sound quality is just fine out of my $350 front-end, and I doubt its really badly lagging behind your Rudistor monstrosity (I did not try it with a Rudistor, but still a bunch of amps of varying price ranges)...although in the future, we will see, there is a vast possibility I'll get the RP1000 :wink:

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #100 of 208
Quote:

Heh, well in the same manner I do not feel the need to provide a high end setup to drive this headphone. I know I will get improvement, but the headphone starts out so good that it really can only improve so much... I am one hand tempted to experiment, but only because it can be fun, thats about it. Sound quality is just fine out of my $350 front-end, and I doubt its really badly lagging behind your Rudistor monstrosity (I did not try it with a Rudistor, but still a bunch of amps of varying price ranges)...although in the future, we will see, there is a vast possibility I'll get the RP1000 :wink:

You do not need the RP1000 neither, I do not have it, and I do not miss it, honestly...who said that?
A more humble amp will do wonders with it, for example my PPA sounds wonderful with it, but others show better soundstage, and instrument separation...Just get a high current, Class A, solid state clean sounding amp, and you will be all set...Later on if you feel the need, go ahead little by little...

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #101 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do not need the RP1000 neither, I do not have it, and I do not miss it, honestly...who said that?
A more humble amp will do wonders with it, for example my PPA sounds wonderful with it, but others show better soundstage, and instrument separation...Just get a high current, Class A, solid state clean sounding amp, and you will be all set...Later on if you feel the need, go ahead little by little...

The thing is - who knows, thats the entire point. I'd rather have a great set of speakers - but I can't - space and economic limitations. Maybe in about 4 years, when I am in a better position, I might go for some things with more kick -but in that case RP-1000 would be nice just because it extracts as much as possible, which is my logic if upgrading to elite level of things. If not going for as much as possible - I can nicely settle for fairly minimalistic (if you call Edition 9 minimalistic...I am talking about the front-end =])

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #103 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a set - better be good :wink:

Austin

Your MiniMax should work fine with the UE9s. You will have the AT-W1000 and the W5000 with the UE9s or just the W1000s? Somewhat the same path as I have traveled for headphones. Since you enjoy the AT sound I think you will find something very special in the UE9s. Did you read my comparison between the UE9s and the W5000 that I had over on the big Ultrasone thread on page 177? You will find their essential sound right out of the box. They will then take you on a journey for about 500 hours so be patient with them. I enjoy them almost all the way, there was only one patch for me where they seem to go backward of any real significance in their development during that period.

If the MiniMax doesn't work right for you then there are always alternatives. We have an amp registry that shows the many amps people are using with them.

Given the path that you have taken I think I can see a Yamamoto HA-02 in your future.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #104 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your MiniMax should work fine with the UE9s. You will have the AT-W1000 and the W5000 with the UE9s or just the W1000s? Somewhat the same path as I have traveled for headphones. Since you enjoy the AT sound I think you will find something very special in the UE9s. Did you read my comparison between the UE9s and the W5000 that I had over on the big Ultrasone thread on page 177? You will find their essential sound right out of the box. They will then take you on a journey for about 500 hours so be patient with them. I enjoy them almost all the way, there was only one patch for me where they seem to go backward of any real significance in their development during that period.

If the MiniMax doesn't work right for you then there are always alternatives. We have an amp registry that shows the many amps people are using with them.

Given the path that you have taken I think I can see a Yamamoto HA-02 in your future.

Oh yes, your page 177 was important in the decision! I was actually about to order the W5000 (for the 3rd time - but I was serious this time :wink: when I saw the thread. I am still using the MiniMax with upgraded NOS tubes (Bugle Boys - made a huge difference). The Yamamoto is really interesting... I really wish there was input switching however! I now have two sources (MiniMax and computer) and another coming in the fall (digging out my vinyl). I'll keep you posted after the phones arrive.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #105 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, your page 177 was important in the decision! I was actually about to order the W5000 (for the 3rd time - but I was serious this time :wink: when I saw the thread. I am still using the MiniMax with upgraded NOS tubes (Bugle Boys - made a huge difference). The Yamamoto is really interesting... I really wish there was input switching however! I now have two sources (MiniMax and computer) and another coming in the fall (digging out my vinyl). I'll keep you posted after the phones arrive.

I am not quite sure what context your input switching comment is focused on. The Yamamoto has two inputs with a switch. Otherwise:

There are some nice Line Routers that you can get. I have one on order that provides four inputs and two outputs. This is using the chassis (real metal) from ampbox that is used for their SI+. I will have Elma rotary switches and CONNEX- 53452 Tiffany RCA plugs. Here is a picture of what it will look like:

obj68geo25pg6p5.jpg

from here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ampbox/page5.html

Mapletree makes one as well. You can find it on their web site.

The layout of the router I am having built is:

switcherC.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back