Ultrasone Edition9 & CanAmp Visit Qables: A Surreal audioXperience!
Jul 3, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EnOYiN and slwiser thanks for the information. I finally went to the Ultrasone website and read about the Edition 9. I bet they sound fantastic but at the moment I do not have $1,500 to get a pair.
frown.gif

How do the 2500 compare with the Edition 9? Thanks again.

Several of the UE9s around the US were purchased from Northern Light and Sound for much less than the advertised 1500$, much closer to 1125$. Would that do? They do have a quarter plug.

Note that I have the AT-HA5000 and did have the ATH-W5000 to which after getting the UE9s I did a fairly extensive comparison that can be found on page 177 of the big Ultrasone thread. Afterward, I traded the W5000s plus a some for the iMod and cable that I got. Ken of ALO is the best and now has a nice AT-W5000 headphone.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #62 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several of the UE9s around the US were purchased from Northern Light and Sound for much less than the advertised 1500$, much closer to 1125$. Would that do? They do have a quarter plug.

Note that I have the AT-HA5000 and did have the ATH-W5000 to which after getting the UE9s I did a fairly extensive comparison that can be found on page 177 of the big Ultrasone thread. Afterward, I traded the W5000s plus a some for the iMod and cable that I got. Ken of ALO is the best and now has a nice AT-W5000 headphone.

I am passing on just about everything at the moment.
mad.gif
Car repairs did me in, although it was worth it since it was my beloved Beetle.

I hope someone has heard both the Ultrasones 2500 and the 9's and can provide feedback on how they compare. Thanks.

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

mad.gif

I hope someone has heard both the Ultrasones 2500 and the 9's and can provide feedback on how they compare. Thanks.

I think you should pm Sovkiller. He currently owns the ed9 (well, 2 actually) and I believe he had the 2500 in the past.
I think Dex could have answered your question as well, but he's on a holiday for the moment...
Or drop your question over at the "Big Thread"
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be happy to read your impressions. Would be nice to have a pair locally. So far from reading, the ED9 doesn't seem to be my preference, but nothing beats hearing them to really know for sure
cool.gif

I don't think theres a store in the bay that has these for trial.. I'd love to hear one oneself.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously thinking of joining Team Ultrasone if my local shop can get a pair of Edition 9s in for a trial. (Audio Visions has the best collection of Hoofdtelefoons and Hoofdtelefoon versterkers in SF to my knowledge, but nothing so nice and comfortable as the audioXperience Head-Fi enclave. Jealous.) Ultrasone is actually out of stock for Ed.9s in the US at the moment, but a pair is supposed to be making its way here for me to try and maybe buy. I should have tried them out seriously at the Int'l Meet but failed.
redface.gif

I don't know if you are planning on being at the mini-meet in the San Jose area at the end of August. I hope to be there and if so I will most likely bring my Edition 9s that can be quickly switched to both single-ended and balanced terminations. If you haven't heard them by then, you're welcome to a listen. I've recently aquired a blanced Senn 650. They are nice but so far they are no Edition 9s--to give you an idea about the Edition 9s.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #67 of 80
Heehee the HD650 balanced is truly bordering on a top tier headphone so if balanced ED9s beat it out then definitely worth a buy. I might think about it or wait for the next iteration
smily_headphones1.gif
Too many headphones and rigs as is though guh.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #68 of 80
Quote:

mad.gif

I can't tell you about the 2500s vs Edition 9s, but I used to own the 750s (closed) which are nearly identical in sound (so I've gathered) except for the 2500 having a little larger soundstage due to their open design. There is similarity between the 750 and Edition 9s, yet also a lot of difference. One thing I don't hear as much of on my Edition 9s is the "effect like quality" of the "S-logic" that Ultrasone touts as part of their house sound. This effect can sometimes be cool and yet some find it like an annoying form of reverb. I heard more of this "effect" on my 750s, but I don't notice is as much on the Edition 9s. Maybe it is because the Edition 9 "headstage" is consistently wide and deep so it's not like this quality cuts in and makes itself noticed by the sudden change. Or maybe it is just my pair of Edition 9s, as I have been finding that there is some audible variation even between the same model of headphones. (For example my new Senn 650s single-ended don't exhibit the same level of boomy bass that I have heard on other single-ended 650s.)

First off the Edition 9 has bass that has no peer that I've heard with the possible exception of the L-3000. This bass is not boomy in any sense, but is
detailed, textured and goes very deep (and the 750 is no slouch in this department). Single-ended the Edition 9 has much deeper and better articulated bass that my balanced Senn 650 (still burning in). Going balanced the Edition 9 bass picks up even more articulation. The clarity and smoothness of the Edition 9 is also significantly greater that the 750. The Edition 9s are very fast and detailed yet without becoming serile. They were a little bright initially (and still lean towards the bright side of the street--Senns leaning towards the dark side) but this has really smoothed out with burn in. So now they are very high and clear without being excessively bright.
If the overall texture of the 750 could be describes as a very smooth cotton, then the Edition 9s are velvet.

The Ultrasone 2500/750 are known to reveal a lot of detail in the music. But the Edition 9s take this even further. You will probably hear things with the Edition 9s, even on music that you are very familiar with, that you've never heard before. Those sounds have really have always been there, but just not rendered so distinctly. This can bring a fresh sense to music that's been heard many many times. This quality is mostly to the good, but I have been appalled at how prevalent bad and sloppy recording/mastering is on many of my favorite classic rock albums. This is not overly annoying because the rest of the music is rendered so clearly, but it is certainly educational. This same quality can bring a wonderful sense of immediacy and aliveness to the music. Recently I was listening to a SACD and at the end of the song I could hear the artist shifting back on his seat at the piano ever so quietly after the take. I imagine this would have been largely inaudible with most other headphones. This clarity really pays of when the music gets complex with a lot of sounds happening at once. Rather than becoming a bit of a muddle of blended sound (as the ATH-AD2000 that I am currently auditioning tends to do, and that the 750 tends to do) the individual sounds stay distinct and clear. As an analogy for something you may have heard, the 750s going to the Edition 9s, its different but I experience it as the same proportion of jump that the Senn 650 takes when it goes from single-ended to balanced.

So take the bass of balanced Senn 650s and make it significantly deeper, more detailed, and still in balance with the whole mix, add the clarity & detail and width of soundstage of the AKG-701 but even more so and with a lot more "life" to the sound, and add the sense of fun and rhythm of the Grado RS-1, but none of the harshness, add in some smoothness and you have an Edition 9.

Even though the Edition 9s (without the special cabling I got) were about 4.5 times the cost of the 750s, I have never regretted the purchase because I can hear where my money went. Your mileage may vary.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #69 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heehee the HD650 balanced is truly bordering on a top tier headphone so if balanced ED9s beat it out then definitely worth a buy. I might think about it or wait for the next iteration
smily_headphones1.gif
Too many headphones and rigs as is though guh.

For me, I think that the balanced Senn 650s are top tier headphones (if the top tier starts around the RS-1, GS-1000, AKG-K1000. I'd put the Senns above those 3. I also think of the 650s as the best value of the top tier headphones because $330 for the 650 + $200-300 for the cable, and that's the cheapest way to top tier headphone I've heard.

For me the Edition 9s are in the mid-range of the top tier. Maybe they don't beat out R-10s and HE90s (still don't know how much difference the amp with the HE90 made), but to me they seem in the running with the Qualia, PS-1, and L-3000. I thought that your Qualias were very good and one of the few headphones (on the same amp) that had more detail than the Edition 9s. But for other selections of music I preferred the Edition 9s. I suppose at this level that selected cuts of music would make any of these headphones take the gold over the others. But with a different cut (or amp) (and always personal preference) a different winner. I am just happy that the Edition 9s are still in production. And I am very happy to have the balanced 650s as a contrast and change of pace to the Edition 9s.

Now here's some famous Head-fi last words. Having the more laid back darker end covered with the balanced Senn 650s and the brighter livelier more detailed end covered with the SE & balanced Edition 9s, I think I'm done with headphones for awhile. Next I'm on to the next step up of balanced amp with pre-amp function, which should keep my wallet's attention.

Well at least I'm not feeling any urgency for new headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #70 of 80
Great thread. I just want to say that this week I have been listening a lot to KSC-55, 75, DT-880, RP-21, HHF-1 and Edition 9 all in rotation. I also had a good long listen of some HD650 for 2 hours at a local store. As you would probably expect, the Edition 9 are the only ones that never let you forget which ones your'e listening to.

I haven't yet heard L3000, K1K, R10 or others but no longer desperately want to.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #71 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though the Edition 9s (without the special cabling I got) were about 4.5 times the cost of the 750s, I have never regretted the purchase because I can hear where my money went. Your mileage may vary.

Excellent summary...and I have no regrets in spending the money on my UE9 either.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man ;p Ed9s and PS-1s are on your horizon? Well no one can blame you for having missed out on listening to Ed9s you were a bit busy at the meet ;p Hopefully your amp comes this week. I'll probably have your cable out thursday after fesitivities it shan't take long to reach you
smily_headphones1.gif
It didn't make end up making that journey to north bay.

Actually, since BlessingX is a co-worker I'll send it up with him ;p

Thanks Dan, I got the cable from Ric yesterday. Amp ETA still unknown but supposedly not far off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be happy to read your impressions. Would be nice to have a pair locally. So far from reading, the ED9 doesn't seem to be my preference, but nothing beats hearing them to really know for sure
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think theres a store in the bay that has these for trial.. I'd love to hear one oneself.

Audio Visions on Pine in SF has most of the Ultrasone line but not the Edition 9s, so I asked them to get a pair for auditioning. They are working with Ultrasone USA to do so but I think there will be a little wait. I'll let people know if they are available there for listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you are planning on being at the mini-meet in the San Jose area at the end of August. I hope to be there and if so I will most likely bring my Edition 9s that can be quickly switched to both single-ended and balanced terminations. If you haven't heard them by then, you're welcome to a listen. I've recently aquired a blanced Senn 650. They are nice but so far they are no Edition 9s--to give you an idea about the Edition 9s.

Thanks for the offer Laurence. I hope to hear them before that meet but if I can make it there I will be sure to give your balanced version a listen.

To everyone else: Sorry for the mostly off-topic stuff here. At least it relates to the Edition 9 part of this thread.
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #73 of 80
ldj325, thanks for the comparison. Currently I can not afford either, but I might be able to get the 2500 if I sell my 2005 Beyer DT990 (250 ohm). Have you heard the Beyer or the AKG K701? How does the 2500 compare with either of those?

Finally if you could buy a 2500 for $200 in pristine condition how good of a deal would you say that is. Thanks.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

ldj325, thanks for the comparison. Currently I can not afford either, but I might be able to get the 2500 if I sell my 2005 Beyer DT990 (250 ohm). Have you heard the Beyer or the AKG K701? How does the 2500 compare with either of those?

Finally if you could buy a 2500 for $200 in pristine condition how good of a deal would you say that is. Thanks.

I have maybe heard an 880 once but can't recall it real well. And I'm not the best one to ask about the 701 as I find them detailed but lifeless. So I'd take a lot of things over the 701 and the 2500/750 would certainly be in this category. The following is from memory (and extrapolating 750 to 2500) and I've never bothered to listen to the 701 and a 750 or 2500 side by side, so take that into consideration. From the 750s that I have experience with, the 2500s will probably have a lot more bass than the 701. Their sound will probably have about as much detail as the 701 but be livelier, more immediate and fuller. The soundstage of the 750 would have a little less width than the 701. But the 2500 is supposed to have a little bit wider soundstage than the 750s so it might be about the same as the 701 or close.
The 2500 will have the S-logic thing going for it that you just have to hear to decide if you like it or not.

Although I don't monitor the Headphone FS forum, I'd think that $200 would be a very good price for a pristine set of 2500s. From the lowest priced dealer around my 750 (usually the same price as the 2500s) were someting like $264 before shipping. I should think you could try them and sell at a similar price if they weren't your cup of tea. The Ultrasones are something that some folks really like, and some really don't. But now that I think of it, that applies to many of the top names in headphones AKG, Sennehiser, Grado.

The Ultrasones are relatively new, so they have generated a lot of enthusiasm from those that like them. Maybe that results in an anticipation build up, so that if one doesn't like them the "enthusiasm" goes the other way. Burn in does seem especially critical for the PROlines (750/2500). I wouldn't stop before 400 hours. Its not that the sound will change night/day, but it can take some crappy sound detours between 10-120 hours, and then slowly refine their sound from 120-250 hours and pick up some nice sublties from 250-400 hours. But if you don't start to hear some good things by 150-200 hours, they may not be for you. I really think that you'll have to try the Ultrasones to see how this all fits for you.

Good luck

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #75 of 80
*gripping his wallet, holding it away from the fray* Damnit, guys.. You have me thinking about the UE9. I'd probably be using the MicroDAC with them for the foreseeable future, but what about an amp? Will my Hornet cut it, or would I really be wanting a better desktop amp? (Also, how bad does using the 1/4" => 1/8" adapter muddy up the sound?)

What are your favorite amps for these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back