ultrasone edition 9's almost broke my heart...
Apr 17, 2007 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

analog'd

1000+ Head-Fier
it all started when i plugged em in at work, which is where i wanna use em. i could hear a low rumble that i was not aware of before under any cans at my office. easy to id as it is the giant a/c duct about 20 ft up above me and 10 ft over.

turns out somehow the 9's manage to filter higher frequency noise, thereby accentuating the low rumble...when i put em on (before turning on music) it sounds as if it is amplifying the damn noise. when music is on it still intrudes, totally zappin my signal to noise ratio. dang.

and on top of that they let voices thru much more than i expected. so, i switched to my trusty e500's and found relief. now i can go home and put the ed 9's where they obviously wanna be (about 40 miles from that air duct and my coworkers). they are way too good to give up and will make a very nice 3rd killer phone at home with my ps-1's and k1000's.

tomorrow morning i will return to the scene of the crime with my proline 750's, which were sounding fine here last week. it may turn out that i just wasn't payin enough attention when i had them here, but i doubt it as i put in a lot of hours with them here.

i guess i had a lot of nerve to try to bring the same quality sound to work as i have at home; not that the 750's w/ an hr2 and cayin cdt-17a is all that shabby. oh well...
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 7
The Edition 9s do not offer much in the way of outside noise attenuation, nor is that really part of their design specification. If you are listening in a relatively quiet environment, they are hard to beat and my favorite closed headphone.

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by OptionTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Edition 9s do not offer much in the way of outside noise attenuation, nor is that really part of their design specification. If you are listening in a relatively quiet environment, they are hard to beat and my favorite closed headphone.

i couldn't agree with you more!

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such a nice place to work.
Don't have that a great option to setup a rig.
Enjoy your work...

actually i work in jurasic park. its very dog eat dog...very tough place to work. but after being without a steady job for almost a year 5 years ago i was very glad to find any job in my profession and am very happy to roam with the dinosaurs every day i go in.

the music thing is the only nice thing about it.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Sure, the Edition 9 don't isolate *that* much, but they're far better than the PROline 2500, for example. I currently live in a studio apartment where the fridge is very close by, quite a few cars go by outside, and my computer fan gets loud. They do a pretty decent job in isolating those noises. It's no IEM in isolation, but it's good enough for me.

Another factor to have in mind is that sometimes you can have too much isolation. For instance with IEMs where you can't hear the phone ringing, or you hear yourself breathing. That can get very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back